There are 187 users in the forums

ESPN Latest on Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by mickey49:
I really dont know how to take this. It's great that he's showing improvements or dare I say "flashes of brilliance", but what does that mean in the big picture? Do we bring back Smith AGAIN next year because Sing (or whoever the coach will be) thinks he's getting better and needs to be in the same system with Johnson to succeed?

Unless Alex figures out how to play well in a whole game, not just the first two and last two minutes, it really doesnt mean that much. Overall his play was good against Philly, but he's still making crucial mistakes.

Smith will be "allowed" to test the free agent market next year. The 49ers will draft another QB, and sign a veteran to help bridge the gap. The veteran could be Alex Smith, if he's not signed by another team, and he plays well enough to finish out the season.

I'd be willing to bet there are good offensive coaches (know what they are doing) who saw Smith against New Orleans and Philly and would be happy to get him.
cough GRUDEN cough. look at what he did with Rich Gannon. Im not saying Alex is our frachise QB and the messiah but again its what we got to work with this year so lets make the best of it and let him run the offense the way its been working out best for him spread and shotgun. Gore gets better runs in spread formation anyway look at NO and PHI game.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
If Smith plays like he did after getting boo'd then we will win out. Therein lies the problem though...say he lights up the Raiders...awesome great...what about the next week...and the week after?

We need to go 9-2 from this point on. I like Alex and I think he will be successful in this league...BUT I just don't believe he's going to lead us to 9-2. Even if he plays amazing the rest of the way there are problems on defense as well. 7-4 or 8-3 are doable but 9-2 or 10-1?? Wouldnt bet the house on that.

But hey..you never know. I'll be rooting for 11-0 obviously. :)

As long as he limits the Turnovers and plays lights out then he'll stay a 9er and Manusky will have to get his ass up in the booth. We get ass raped by the Screen and it leads to the Run. Anyone that witnessed out Dynasty Era can tell you this is how it goes. None of our Coordinators set foot on the field after warm ups and before the end of the game. I'm fed up with that stupidity.

Raye thought he could Coordinate from the sidelines. Where is Johnson during the game? Right from his very first game? That's right. IN THA BOOTH.

Manusky need to get his ass in the Booth and NEVER come down. We'll send him food water and Install a shower in the Booth at the Stick. When he travels to Away games he gets his own plane and travels like Hannibal Lecter.

Dude needs to be trained worse than a puppy.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Otter:
I really dont know how to take this. It's great that he's showing improvements or dare I say "flashes of brilliance", but what does that mean in the big picture? Do we bring back Smith AGAIN next year because Sing (or whoever the coach will be) thinks he's getting better and needs to be in the same system with Johnson to succeed?

Unless Alex figures out how to play well in a whole game, not just the first two and last two minutes, it really doesnt mean that much. Overall his play was good against Philly, but he's still making crucial mistakes.

Smith will be "allowed" to test the free agent market next year. The 49ers will draft another QB, and sign a veteran to help bridge the gap. The veteran could be Alex Smith, if he's not signed by another team, and he plays well enough to finish out the season.

Ugh. We'll see. It's just frustrating 'cause this team talent-wise is built to make the playoffs. Biggest question mark is QB and the thought of another year of "let's see what Alex can do"...

This team has talent at the skill positions on O, but the O-line is still not good. No where near playoff level. The D is talented too but have not been playing like it all that much this year. The biggest ? mark isn't the the QB, it's how good would our QB play if the rest of the offense - especially the O line - was playing playoff caliber football.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Not All Alex Fault.

Interesting Read which back up the smith supporters and O Line Haters as well. Numbers are surprising as well. Lets just hope Alex comes out slinging with spread offense this Sunday and O line can protect for more than a 2 sec.

Ya this OL just sux @ss , you can't run with them , and they can't stop a blitz to save their @ss . Worst in the Nfl again hands down !

[ Edited by xx49erfanxx on Oct 14, 2010 at 17:52:08 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by SY9er8:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

What Alex's ceiling is, who knows, we won't know until he's with an OC that knows what their doing. But I agree with you here, and a lot of it is mechanics. Alex doesn't have a very strong arm and has a big windup to his release. He needs space and an extra bit of time to get his pass off. Because of this, if he's under pressure, his mechanics go crazy and his passes become horrible.

Yeah, exactly. Get him a OC like Norv Turner or Mike Martz and lets see what he can do. Oh, wait...

Uhm....he actually did reasonably well in 1 full season as a starter under Turner. (that's right, he's actually started 1 full season for us so far)

He never even saw the field under Martz. It was the JTO/Shaun Hill show.

And why didnt he see the field under Martz ?

Cause he BROKE his collar bone in a Preseason game had to have surgery and was OUT for the season. DUH!Don't try to twist it into something it ain't.

~Ceadder

no s**t right?

you tell em Ceadder.
im backing Ceadder on this one!

I dont understand ZRF's continued belief that Alex failed under Martz. SMH

You guys have short memories. JTO had already beaten out Smith in Pre season prior to Smith breaking his collarbone. Duh

Eat more green vegetables.

Yeah playing on a bad shoulder the same shoulder that was ruined the year before. No Matter, JTO beat no one out, he got the playing time because of his knowledge of the system. FACT.

Keep grasping.

You guys need to get your stories straight before you defend poor little Alex.

lol, ummm, ok

Guys, for the record...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26354573/

"O’Sullivan was picked to start San Francisco’s preseason opener Aug. 8 against Oakland and has been practicing and playing with the first unit since. He didn’t take any snaps in 11-on-11 team drills during the first seven days of training camp as Smith and Hill got all the work.

But both players struggled to grasp new offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s complex system, and O’Sullivan was given a chance in the lead role earlier this month.
"

...Smith was not injured. He just couldn't pick up the offense.

right because it takes exactly 7 whole days to pick up an extremly complex offensive system. JTO was gonna start regardless because he knew the O

True but Alex Smith's problems don't stem from his lack of system familiarity.

He is innaccurate, crumbles under pressure, makes errant throws too often and in general makes poor decisions during critical moments of the game.

He's the kind of guy that could thrive only under perfect conditions but then again most QBs in the league probably could.

Let's just accept the fact that the guy is destined to be mediocre his entire career and move on. Everyone else around the league sees this. I don't understand why people here still have a hard time coming to grips with it.

The QB you want does NOT exist. Not even Peyton Manning is that accurate. Or don't you remember all those wild ass Marvin Harrison Catches? One in particular stands out to me. The one where he caught the Pass laid out above the throw the ball came in hot and he had to run to it and grab it before it came down on the turf.

So please just stop with the "Inaccurate" nonsense. There NO QB who puts the ball on the numbers on every throw. Alex has his share of "accurate" Passes, just like everyone else at the position.

It's Foolish to expect laser perfect Passes on every throw. Not even Joe and Steve were that frigging accurate.

See this is the level 9er fans believe they are owed and the only laser they are owed is the one pointed at their forehead when a SWAT sniper has a bead on them.

Absolutely pathetic.

Newsflash, if the ball is catchable then it's accurate. If the ball is NOT catchable NOT accurate. Time for you simplef^x to learn the difference.

Ever hear of Lynn Swann? Micheal Irvin? Jerry Rice? These guys made names for themselves making their QBs' look good. If you don't believe me go watch some highlight reels.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked with the ridiculousness to which this level of expectation is thrown around by 9er fans.

~Ceadder

See now I'm just getting upset at how wrong you are.
Go watch game footage of the top 10 QBs in the league and if you honestly don't see a difference between how well guys like Brady, Manning, Brees and Roethlisberger handle blitz pressure and how well Smith handles it then you're either:

a) blind
b) too proud to admit it or;
c) Know nothing about football

I'm sorry I'm a little worked up at your remarks. I honestly am not trying to offend you but if you've watched the last 5 games and haven't noticed how inaccurate Smith is then I'm just shocked. Every one of his tipped ball interceptions save for the one in the KC game where Crabtree ran the wrong route was Alex Smith's fault cuz he put the ball too far out of reach. He gets the slightest bit of pressure on him and he panics and his accuracy drops off dramatically.

There is no point in trying to convince the perennial optimists and homers anyway cuz Smith is gone at the end of the season and nothing short of an MVP caliber 11 game stretch will save his career in SF

And on that note I'm done with this thread.
Enjoy your pointless bickering.

I'm sorry I'm a little worked up at your remarks. I honestly am not trying to offend you but if you've watched the last 5 games and haven't noticed how inaccurate Smith is then I'm just shocked. Every one of his tipped ball interceptions save for the one in the KC game where Crabtree ran the wrong route was Alex Smith's fault cuz he put the ball too far out of reach. He gets the slightest bit of pressure on him and he panics and his accuracy drops off dramatically.

There is no point in trying to convince the perennial optimists and homers anyway cuz Smith is gone at the end of the season and nothing short of an MVP caliber 11 game stretch will save his career in SF

And on that note I'm done with this thread.
Enjoy your pointless bickering.

Yeah, I'm not buying your BS either.... no offense intended. I watch these games repeatedly all week, and feel that Smith has pretty good accuracy. I also watch other QBs in action, and guess what? They are not showing any more accuracy than Smith. Difference for them is generally more time to throw and more WR assistance when the ball's in flight.
Originally posted by SY9er8:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

1. Great QBs can still make that perfect pass even under duress. Not always, but still completing over 50% of their passes is ideal. Alex simply cannot do that, practically ever. In these cases it could make him more worthy of a QB if he would use his mobility to get some yards or even a first down, or simply to escape the pressure and find an open receiver.

What Alex's ceiling is, who knows, we won't know until he's with an OC that knows what their doing. But I agree with you here, and a lot of it is mechanics. Alex doesn't have a very strong arm and has a big windup to his release. He needs space and an extra bit of time to get his pass off. Because of this, if he's under pressure, his mechanics go crazy and his passes become horrible.

Yeah, exactly. Get him a OC like Norv Turner or Mike Martz and lets see what he can do. Oh, wait...

Uhm....he actually did reasonably well in 1 full season as a starter under Turner. (that's right, he's actually started 1 full season for us so far)

He never even saw the field under Martz. It was the JTO/Shaun Hill show.

And why didnt he see the field under Martz ?

Cause he BROKE his collar bone in a Preseason game had to have surgery and was OUT for the season. DUH!Don't try to twist it into something it ain't.

~Ceadder

no s**t right?

you tell em Ceadder.
im backing Ceadder on this one!

I dont understand ZRF's continued belief that Alex failed under Martz. SMH

You guys have short memories. JTO had already beaten out Smith in Pre season prior to Smith breaking his collarbone. Duh

Eat more green vegetables.

Yeah playing on a bad shoulder the same shoulder that was ruined the year before. No Matter, JTO beat no one out, he got the playing time because of his knowledge of the system. FACT.

Keep grasping.

You guys need to get your stories straight before you defend poor little Alex.

lol, ummm, ok

Guys, for the record...

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/26354573/

"O’Sullivan was picked to start San Francisco’s preseason opener Aug. 8 against Oakland and has been practicing and playing with the first unit since. He didn’t take any snaps in 11-on-11 team drills during the first seven days of training camp as Smith and Hill got all the work.

But both players struggled to grasp new offensive coordinator Mike Martz’s complex system, and O’Sullivan was given a chance in the lead role earlier this month.
"

...Smith was not injured. He just couldn't pick up the offense.

right because it takes exactly 7 whole days to pick up an extremly complex offensive system. JTO was gonna start regardless because he knew the O

True but Alex Smith's problems don't stem from his lack of system familiarity.

He is innaccurate, crumbles under pressure, makes errant throws too often and in general makes poor decisions during critical moments of the game.

He's the kind of guy that could thrive only under perfect conditions but then again most QBs in the league probably could.

Let's just accept the fact that the guy is destined to be mediocre his entire career and move on. Everyone else around the league sees this. I don't understand why people here still have a hard time coming to grips with it.

The QB you want does NOT exist. Not even Peyton Manning is that accurate. Or don't you remember all those wild ass Marvin Harrison Catches? One in particular stands out to me. The one where he caught the Pass laid out above the throw the ball came in hot and he had to run to it and grab it before it came down on the turf.

So please just stop with the "Inaccurate" nonsense. There NO QB who puts the ball on the numbers on every throw. Alex has his share of "accurate" Passes, just like everyone else at the position.

It's Foolish to expect laser perfect Passes on every throw. Not even Joe and Steve were that frigging accurate.

See this is the level 9er fans believe they are owed and the only laser they are owed is the one pointed at their forehead when a SWAT sniper has a bead on them.

Absolutely pathetic.

Newsflash, if the ball is catchable then it's accurate. If the ball is NOT catchable NOT accurate. Time for you simplef^x to learn the difference.

Ever hear of Lynn Swann? Micheal Irvin? Jerry Rice? These guys made names for themselves making their QBs' look good. If you don't believe me go watch some highlight reels.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked with the ridiculousness to which this level of expectation is thrown around by 9er fans.

~Ceadder

Go watch game footage of the top 10 QBs in the league and if you honestly don't see a difference between how well guys like Brady, Manning, Brees and Roethlisberger handle blitz pressure and how well Smith handles it then you're either:

a) blind
b) too proud to admit it or;
c) Know nothing about football

Eh, those guys have Offenses built around their strengths that they've been in for YEARS.
I would like those who can't wait to dump Alex at the end of the season to tell us just exactly what wonderful QB they intend to have under center for us next year. This will be interesting.
Originally posted by excelsior:
I would like those who can't wait to dump Alex at the end of the season to tell us just exactly what wonderful QB they intend to have under center for us next year. This will be interesting.

It doesn't matter. If Alex doesn't perform better he's gone, the fanbase is just tired of this entire era. If Alex keeps playing like he did on Sunday though, you'd have to be a true moron to not want to keep him around. Young QBs don't grow on trees.

It doesn't matter. If Alex doesn't perform better he's gone, the fanbase is just tired of this entire era. If Alex keeps playing like he did on Sunday though, you'd have to be a true moron to not want to keep him around. Young QBs don't grow on trees.

Exactly, The original argument can only be used if he wasn't throwing ints when not under pressure. Otherwise its just a useless way of making stats work for an argument. I dont care that he is throwing for more yds. Hes still not making the right decision on a consistent basis.

• fly15
  • Veteran

K. Orton

There's going to be options, but I think the bigger problem is there's going to be alot of teams looking for a QB.

Buffalo, Arizona, Minnesota, Cleveland, Seattle. Minnesota will probally be 1st in line to grab Kolb or Vick. They just have the most pieces in place, and Childress is from Reid's coaching tree. Whether Philly ends up with Vick or Kolb I think the other guy's number one option is going to be Minnesota.
Originally posted by b9er37:
Smith has struggled under duress, but when given time to throw, he's been able to match the performance of the average NFL quarterback."

Shouldn't a number one pick be better than average by his sixth year?

Originally posted by 49P-Dub52:
Originally posted by fly15:
He's definitely improved a lot this year, I'll say that much. It's a shame his numbers don't back it up, but he's a lot better. A lot of this also goes back to coaching and Sing's love affair with Chilo. The OL has performed a lot better with Chilo on the bench, but Sing seems oblivious.

improved, ohh yes, more interceptions than tds....

I wonder what games his watching..

The Seahawks game from 06.

that's the alex i want to see, right there!
I'm surprised Alex didn't fumble that with his small ass hands lol
Share 49ersWebzone