There are 239 users in the forums

How good does the qb play need to be

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
I don't see what Nate Davis did so wrong to end up on the practice squad? It's not like Smith or Carr were lighting it up. He can't possibly do worse than Smith is doing. Smith may be a really nice guy and intelligent and all, but he just doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

He doesn't work hard enough. In Singletary's world, "hard work" is the primary trait you need. Talent is secondary.

Besides, Singetary has no eye for talent anyway. When half the board was salivating over Patrick Willis. Singletary was watching film with McCloughan, saying "What, HE's good? Really?"

Mike Johnson gives the team a chance to bring Nate Davis back into the fold.
Originally posted by 49erha:
? Looking at teams like KC, Pit, Mia, tenn, they seem to have success no matter who they have at qb, so the question is does this team have enough talent to make it with ok qb play?

Before the season I certainly thought so but were 0-4, so obviously not, I really don't care who is qb as long as we win. But after today I have certinly lost all hope in Alex, but sadly I think he is the best we have.

So the question is how good does the qb play need to be? Elite? Good? Game manager? Ok? Poor?
Game manager adn no turn over.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
I don't see what Nate Davis did so wrong to end up on the practice squad? It's not like Smith or Carr were lighting it up. He can't possibly do worse than Smith is doing. Smith may be a really nice guy and intelligent and all, but he just doesn't have what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

He doesn't work hard enough. In Singletary's world, "hard work" is the primary trait you need. Talent is secondary.

Besides, Singetary has no eye for talent anyway. When half the board was salivating over Patrick Willis. Singletary was watching film with McCloughan, saying "What, HE's good? Really?"

Mike Johnson gives the team a chance to bring Nate Davis back into the fold.

Again according to Singletary the QB is just 1/11th of the offense and nothing more. I look at who is backing up Alex Smith and I .........
Better than we have. But we have a lot more problems than that which most on the board aren't willing to admit. Just magic plug in QB and all of a sudden 16 - 0 and win Super Bowl. This team has big problems. More serious than most would care to admit or believe. Better QB play would help but it's just 1 piece to the puzzle.
from management to coaching to QB. thats the order of things that need to change. i have been a huge fan of alex smith but the dude is not performing right now and i have to imagine his leash is getting pretty short. they know what carr is and it isnt much, troy smith is young and talented let him get a shot. im sure johnson could put some stuff together for him or even give nate davis a chance, hes supposedly one of johnsons favorite guys and the kid has tools and the demotion to the practice squad should motivate him. at this point its worth a try. why not find out if we have something rather than draft a new QB next year and see one of these guys emerge when we just wasted a pick on a QB? it cnt get any worse and the two youngsters actually have talent and skills that smith doesnt. both are just as mobile if not more so than smith, both have more powerful arms than smith and both can improvise, smith has shown that he cant do that and this isnt a team that runs properly, there are breakdowns on almost every play. we need a QB who can adapt.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
from management to coaching to QB. thats the order of things that need to change. i have been a huge fan of alex smith but the dude is not performing right now and i have to imagine his leash is getting pretty short. they know what carr is and it isnt much, troy smith is young and talented let him get a shot. im sure johnson could put some stuff together for him or even give nate davis a chance, hes supposedly one of johnsons favorite guys and the kid has tools and the demotion to the practice squad should motivate him. at this point its worth a try. why not find out if we have something rather than draft a new QB next year and see one of these guys emerge when we just wasted a pick on a QB? it cnt get any worse and the two youngsters actually have talent and skills that smith doesnt. both are just as mobile if not more so than smith, both have more powerful arms than smith and both can improvise, smith has shown that he cant do that and this isnt a team that runs properly, there are breakdowns on almost every play. we need a QB who can adapt.

True.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Better than we have. But we have a lot more problems than that which most on the board aren't willing to admit. Just magic plug in QB and all of a sudden 16 - 0 and win Super Bowl. This team has big problems. More serious than most would care to admit or believe. Better QB play would help but it's just 1 piece to the puzzle.

This organization has neglected every area of the team the past 3 offseasons trying to build a team around a pathetic QB.

We failed to fix the pass rush, cornerbacks, return game, lack of speed at running back AND reciever,

Oh well, let's just draft another offensive lineman with the 7th pick in the 2011 draft.
Those of you calling for Carr. I really feel your pain, and I agree that Alex has been disappointing, but it can get MUCH worse. I think that Carr should only be brought in once there is not statistical chance at making the playoffs. When that time comes I would rather have Troy Smith or even the legend himself Nate Davis make an appearance.

To Answer the original question - The QB play has been pretty good for stretches, but that doesn't cut it. To win with this team the offense just has to be consistent. That includes Smith, the O-line, the receivers. Gore is pretty much a stud on a weekly basis. VD needs to get the ball much more. He is a man among boys out there. I would rather see 10 bubble screens for VD, than 1 more to Crabs.

I said last week that this week was a must win. If the Niners lose next week (or any week for the next 3) then I personally believe that the season is over. It is teetering on the edge of over as it is.
Share 49ersWebzone