There are 246 users in the forums

The NFL's # 1 Defense Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by valrod33:
If we dont allow any rushing TDs the entire year this will be known as one of the greatest in history ?

only to Alex Smith haters

why is that

So they can say that we only won our Super Bowl this year because of our all time great Defense

Well it would be the MAIN reason.

Sure Pal
If we dont allow any rushing TDs the entire year this will be known as one of the greatest in history ?

i think we can also tie the record for longest streak without a 100 yard rusher.

if we do that, don't allow a rush TD, and continue to give up less than 2 TD's a game, then, yes, I think this defense will have to be considered an all-time great.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

i think we can also tie the record for longest streak without a 100 yard rusher.

if we do that, don't allow a rush TD, and continue to give up less than 2 TD's a game, then, yes, I think this defense will have to be considered an all-time great.

IDK, I think you have to win a Superbowl on the back of that defense. If we can do it with Alex Smith, then they should be considered the greatest of all time.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:56 AM ]
That was be awesome if we get another shutout.

only to Alex Smith haters

why is that

So they can say that we only won our Super Bowl this year because of our all time great Defense

Well it would be the MAIN reason.

If the defense doesn't allow a rushing TD against the 49ers all year they would be in the discussion of greatest ever. This is probably hard to swallow since the star defensive player is a middle linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. We don't have an Ed Reed, or Troy P or a shut down corner in the backfield. And we don't have a D Ware, or Clay Mathews household QB killing name type either, this team has a bunch of guys who do their job well.
does the no rushing over 100 yds continue into the playoffs or is that just a regular season stat?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

IDK, I think you have to win a Superbowl on the back of that defense. If we can do it with Alex Smith, then they should be considered the greatest of all time.

frankly, if we don't give up a rushing TD for an entire regular season it doesn't matter what we do in the postseason or if my grandma was playing QB, that defense would be considered pretty special, possibly all time great just on that one stat alone. No team has given up fewer tahn 4 TD's in, what, 80 years?
frankly, if we don't give up a rushing TD for an entire regular season it doesn't matter what we do in the postseason or if my grandma was playing QB, that defense would be considered pretty special, possibly all time great just on that one stat alone. No team has given up fewer tahn 4 TD's in, what, 80 years?

In all serioiusness, records like that are nearly as important as Superbowls to me. They immortalize a team and the legend only grows as time goes on. 20 years from now our kids will be talking about the "Fearsome 7" or something that sounds much cooler.

The Alex Smith comment was a joke. With all the talk going on about him right now, I can't help myself.

P.S. In order to become a great of all time D, I do think you have to win a Superbowl.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM ]

In all serioiusness, records like that are nearly as important as Superbowls to me. They immortalize a team and the legend only grows as time goes on. 20 years from now our kids will be talking about the "Fearsome 7" or something that sounds much cooler.

The Alex Smith comment was a joke. With all the talk going on about him right now, I can't help myself.

P.S. In order to become a great of all time D, I do think you have to win a Superbowl.

all-time great, yeah, i think you have to win a Super Bowl. I was reading about the 2000 Ravens defense and there was a comparison between them and the 2000 Titans defense, and it was a pretty favorable matchup, except, I believe, for points allowed. Anyway, no one really remembers that Titans defense as a great one, except for Titans fans, maybe. But that Titans defense didn't break any crazy records either.

Winning a championship validates an accomplishment like that, for sure. We definitely have to come up with a better nickname than "Fearsome 7" though, just in case.

all-time great, yeah, i think you have to win a Super Bowl. I was reading about the 2000 Ravens defense and there was a comparison between them and the 2000 Titans defense, and it was a pretty favorable matchup, except, I believe, for points allowed. Anyway, no one really remembers that Titans defense as a great one, except for Titans fans, maybe. But that Titans defense didn't break any crazy records either.

Winning a championship validates an accomplishment like that, for sure. We definitely have to come up with a better nickname than "Fearsome 7" though, just in case.
Yeah? What do you want?

The Magnificent 7? Take your pick at a theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45KAjt7v4t4

or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niQLCDLDFcw.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

Yeah? What do you want?

money.
Ravens D only gave up 165 all season.

them
0, 36, 19, 0,0 10, 10, 14, 9, 7, 23, 0 , 7, 3, 7, 20, 3, 10, 3, 7 = 10.3

us....
17, 27, 8, 23, 3, 19, 10, 11, 20, 7, 16, 0

Image if you take away that 36 that puts it down to 8.03 a game.... as for us we aren't doing bad but we had a few late scores. Probably about 21-28 points late in the games plus the 2 point safety against the Bengals.

Still.... check this out... try beating the Packers average for 13 games... that's like 1.5 a game. I know offenses weren't nearly as prolific but still that's crazy.

Fewest Points Allowed, Season (13-game Season), 22 Green Bay Packers:1929
Fewest Points Allowed, Season (Since 1932), 44 Chicago Bears: 1932
Fewest Points Allowed, Season (14-game Season), 129 Atlanta Falcons: 1977
Fewest Points Allowed, Season (16-game Season), 165 Baltimore Ravens: 2000

0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 6, 6, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, 0.... WOW and they beat our buddies the Providence Steamrollers 25-0.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM ]
That '00 Ravens O must have been hot garbage if the D wasn't even ranked #1 that year (in yards)
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM ]
Update via NFL.com's "official" stats for our key front 7 players minus NT:

Through Week 15: Sacks, TFL, (QB Hits)
DL
Ray McDonald - 4.5, 5 (7)
Justin Smith - 5.5, 5 (16)

LB
Aldon Smith - 13, 11 (21)
Ahmad Brooks - 6, 11 (12)
Patrick Willis - 2, 7 (4)
Navarro Bowman - 0, 11 (2)
Parys Haralson - 2, 1 (4)