LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 174 users in the forums

Most Fans Here Are Not Realistic ...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sacniner:
This is a totally different team on the road. Sing cannot prepare this team for a road game. Especially in a loud a55 place like KC

Unfortunately we get to move on to Atlanta. That place is gonna be rockin next Sunday.

No place to start Chilo next to Davis that's for certain. Not if we expect to keep our QB upright.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
How dare we expect Alex Smith to throw TDs!

Hard to throw TDs' when you're laying on your back. For most of the Game Smith was running for his Life.

But hey whatever, you could do better so you must speak up and say venomous things.

I have an idea. Every one of you that thinks you can do better file your NFL paperwork and submit your name to Singletary. Maybe the change will have the Line protecting the QB better and maybe our Defense won't get carved up like a Xmas Turkey and maybe the playcalling will suddenly improve and maybe your Receivers will start catching the ones they get paid to catch.

Oh btw not all our Receivers are shat. Ziggy is the man. A pass that WAS high and the man reeled it in and CAUGHT THE F@KING THING... See now THAT is how you play the position. Not every Pass is going to be on the money. BUT it shouldn't have to be when you're PREPARED. Crabtree needs to sit his ass down and watch what Ziggy does.

I'm fed up with all the garbage being piled onto Smith. You take away the Int(caused because Tree "slipped" again) and Smith didn't do as horribly as y'all are makin it out to be.

But hey whatever you guys know the game better than the people who play it, so sh@tcan the lot of them and rebuild the team in your own images. I'll follow you but steel myself for decades of losing to follow.

~Ceadder

1) I agree that Smith was running for his life most of the game. But what did he do exactly in the times that he actually had time to make a play ? Nothing. How many opportunities did he squander on 3rd and short, throwing into coverage ? Or on a 2nd and long, with plenty of time to throw, opting for a 5 yard pass to a covered receiver ? Or how bout on a defensive offsides when he decided to run for 5 yards rather than test rookie safeties ? Or throw the ball away on a flea flicker ?

Sorry, but I cant excuse these things for a 6th year veteran who's supposed to be the future.

2)"Not every ball is going to be on the money". Yeah, but you'd expect the majority of them to be, no ? Is it sheer coincidence that Smith's balls get tipped more than any other QB's ? This is the same problem he had with Hostler, except that when Hill came into relieve him midway through the season, all these problems disappeared. Wait a minute, I smell conspiracy. I guess the receivers have a union led by Antonio Bryant. Since Bryant had issues with Smith back in 06, so does everyone else. Maybe something needs to be investigated.

3) The fact that you still think Smith had an "ok" game shows how low you've set your standards for him. A guy that cant move the chains or motivate his team is considered "serviceable" in your book. Sorry, bud, but those guys dont win SBs. I dont know when you started watching football, but there's no way you couldve gone through the Montana and Young years and still believe in the junk you type in these threads.....

I'm addressing 2 and then just a miniscule of 3 here.

2)Hill Passes COULDN'T get tipped. They were so listless the wind would keep them up. But he still threw 6 INTs' to 10 TDs' a season. So quit idolizing that buffoon. You just don't remember Hill's being tipped as much because there was no mustard on his Passes. With Alex MOST of his tips are due to the Receiver not hauling in the Pass and instead knocking it up. When it IS tipped by the Defense is that not a good play? I'll further address this after 3.

3)What are you on? Seriously?
I call out the other units because they fail. If I see Smith "fail" and everyone else is doing well then I will most DEFINITELY call Smith out. You mistake me for your average fan who doesn't have any idea of what's going on. Well you would be WRONG.

So now let me ask you this...

How come every team we face in your eyes cannot be good enough to take advantage of the other units to force events to go in their favor. No team played well enough to beat us straight up the way you go on about Smith.

Also how come EVERYBODY from the waterboy to the GM gets a pass and Smith is the bad guy?

You think I'm making excuses for Smith?

I KNOW you're making excuses for the rest of the team.

"If only we replaced Smith..."

Dude seriously take a step back and reassess. You really need to.

And it's 3 years going onto 4 not 5 years going onto 6. Learn how to count please.

~Ceadder

As I've said in the past, ZRF80 is not a rational fan, he is simply an Alex Smith hater and has never, ever seen any of the other things that have been plaguing this team for the last few years. The list is endless and easily recognized, unless you are ZRF80, then it's just all Smith's fault.

Hill, struggled with Martz, struggled under Raye's system too, so bad in fact that they gave the reigns to Smith.
JTO, struggled with Martz.
Dilfer struggled with whats his name.

Those qb's are never criticized by Z, why? Not sure, but it's damn weird.

Because they are not Alex Smith...
  • ZRF80

Hard to throw TDs' when you're laying on your back. For most of the Game Smith was running for his Life.

But hey whatever, you could do better so you must speak up and say venomous things.

I have an idea. Every one of you that thinks you can do better file your NFL paperwork and submit your name to Singletary. Maybe the change will have the Line protecting the QB better and maybe our Defense won't get carved up like a Xmas Turkey and maybe the playcalling will suddenly improve and maybe your Receivers will start catching the ones they get paid to catch.

Oh btw not all our Receivers are shat. Ziggy is the man. A pass that WAS high and the man reeled it in and CAUGHT THE F@KING THING... See now THAT is how you play the position. Not every Pass is going to be on the money. BUT it shouldn't have to be when you're PREPARED. Crabtree needs to sit his ass down and watch what Ziggy does.

I'm fed up with all the garbage being piled onto Smith. You take away the Int(caused because Tree "slipped" again) and Smith didn't do as horribly as y'all are makin it out to be.

But hey whatever you guys know the game better than the people who play it, so sh@tcan the lot of them and rebuild the team in your own images. I'll follow you but steel myself for decades of losing to follow.

~Ceadder

1) I agree that Smith was running for his life most of the game. But what did he do exactly in the times that he actually had time to make a play ? Nothing. How many opportunities did he squander on 3rd and short, throwing into coverage ? Or on a 2nd and long, with plenty of time to throw, opting for a 5 yard pass to a covered receiver ? Or how bout on a defensive offsides when he decided to run for 5 yards rather than test rookie safeties ? Or throw the ball away on a flea flicker ?

Sorry, but I cant excuse these things for a 6th year veteran who's supposed to be the future.

2)"Not every ball is going to be on the money". Yeah, but you'd expect the majority of them to be, no ? Is it sheer coincidence that Smith's balls get tipped more than any other QB's ? This is the same problem he had with Hostler, except that when Hill came into relieve him midway through the season, all these problems disappeared. Wait a minute, I smell conspiracy. I guess the receivers have a union led by Antonio Bryant. Since Bryant had issues with Smith back in 06, so does everyone else. Maybe something needs to be investigated.

3) The fact that you still think Smith had an "ok" game shows how low you've set your standards for him. A guy that cant move the chains or motivate his team is considered "serviceable" in your book. Sorry, bud, but those guys dont win SBs. I dont know when you started watching football, but there's no way you couldve gone through the Montana and Young years and still believe in the junk you type in these threads.....

2)Hill Passes COULDN'T get tipped. They were so listless the wind would keep them up. But he still threw 6 INTs' to 10 TDs' a season. So quit idolizing that buffoon. You just don't remember Hill's being tipped as much because there was no mustard on his Passes. With Alex MOST of his tips are due to the Receiver not hauling in the Pass and instead knocking it up. When it IS tipped by the Defense is that not a good play? I'll further address this after 3.

I call out the other units because they fail. If I see Smith "fail" and everyone else is doing well then I will most DEFINITELY call Smith out. You mistake me for your average fan who doesn't have any idea of what's going on. Well you would be WRONG.

How come every team we face in your eyes cannot be good enough to take advantage of the other units to force events to go in their favor. No team played well enough to beat us straight up the way you go on about Smith.

Also how come EVERYBODY from the waterboy to the GM gets a pass and Smith is the bad guy?

And it's 3 years going onto 4 not 5 years going onto 6. Learn how to count please.

~Ceadder

The common denominator between your argument, and mines, is Alex Smith. This isnt something that started this season, Ceadder. We've been going at it for the past 3-4 years, and it seems that management has done everything to fulfill YOUR requirements, only to get the same results. You guys wanted a stellar defense ? You pretty much got one. You wanted Smith to have viable options at WR and RB ? Well, you got them.

The only reason why I blame Smith over everything else is that you guys use the same argument to defend him, even though your variables have changed for the better. Whereas my argument has always been the same.

No matter what Smith has (or doesnt), he cant seem to take advantage of it. He still opts for the short pass, goes through his progressions too quickly, rolls out of the pocket unnecessarily and throws it away, etc. We could go back 3 years and you'll find a same exact quote from me then that you do now.

I dont need to point out other mistakes, because they're blatantly apparent. Im not excusing our oline, our poor playcalling, our defense, etc. But I am saying that we have a QB that doesnt have the ability to overcome these deficiencies. You know, Brady/Manning dont always have the best weapons, lines, etc. But they improvise, and Alex does not. He needs everything to be perfect in order to excel, and that my friend......does not lead to championships. Can you argue this point ?
REALISTICALLY, we need to give Nate Davis or Troy Smith a shot. If it doesn't work then we can all RREALISTICALLY stop drinking the Nate Davis Kool-Aid ( including myself, cuz am sipping it right now). And Realistically and Permanently give the QB coach a Realistic shot at play-calling
[ Edited by dtmoney49er on Sep 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM ]
LMAO........No more damn excuse, this is nonsense. The play calling sucks, i actually looked at other NFL teams systems, and by far our offense is inferior. I actually feel that our offense has Regressed since last year. This makes me sick to my stomach. Another thing is that it doesn't matter if walsh him self were calling plays (god bless his soul), Smith would still feel a little pressure, Scramble to the Right, and throw the f*cking ball out of bounds. Or better yet, make one read down the field, get scared, and check down to gore for a 5 yard gain on 3rd and 25........This Pee wee league football here in SF needs to stop, and needs to stop right now. Our guys look lost out there, and unfaithful in the system. our offense sucks so bad, our D has to get desperate to make plays to keep us in games. Its getting really sad, and sing for you not to even give Carr or the other Smith a shot in the 4th Qtr is Ridic. We were already done, so y not see if someone else could actually pass the ball ot the receiver accurately? Too much ego, too much selfish tendencies, Too much Sing, Smith, And Raye. Oakland benched their QB after 2 games of sucking bad and look, they are a much better team. s**t if we are better with N.Davis in game, hell put him in. i dont give a rats ass how he practice. Sing you job is Def on the line With Cower, Billick, and Groden out there. Get you Shi* Together this week, or i promise we will start the biggest petition ever to get you out!
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I'm sorry, but I can't believe the mindless optimism I have seen here over the past few years. And nothing showed that more than this week's poll, which had 87% of respondents predicting a victory over the Chiefs. With our complete meltdown in Seattle, and our 4 turnovers and bone-head plays against New Orleans, I couldn't believe so many people thought we would win at K.C. especially when we have a history of playing poorly at Arrowhead. K.C. has a sharp HC in Haley, and a DC, OC and GM from a Super Bowl winning dynasty. We have a kid owner with no experience in the NFL, and Dumb and Dumber as our HC and OC, along with no GM, so how in the world would you expect that we could win? Look how fast K.C. has turned it around with competent coaching. For as much as Coach Sing preaches discipline, this is one of the most undisciplined teams I have ever seen. Sing is so focused on being physical, that he has ignored the mental preparation for both players and coaches.

I was glad to hear that most people have stopped drinking the Coach Sing Koolaid after today's game. The guy is certainly passionate, but he has no clue how to manage a game, or run an offense. Jed York fell in love with Singletary based upon half a season of playing softball teams in 2008, and we missed out on a lot of top coaches by doing this. Looking back, are you still glad that Sing fired Mike Martz and replaced him with Raye? I love this team, and I think we do have a lot of talent, but we will never win again until we have four things:

1. An elite Head coach
2. An elite Quarterback
3. A creative offensive coordinator
4. A credible, experienced GM

4 valid and excellent points. That being said, and looking at the schedule, looks like a 4-12 season at best. I hope at the end of the year; Jon Gruden decides to coach again, we draft Andrew Luck or Jake Locker, and bring someone like Bill Parcels to be the GM
The problem with this team starts simply at the top - the talent is there as we have better than average even good talent in most places. The York's have established destroyed everything that made this a strong Franchise in the front office.

Mike Singletary is a buffoon - an honest well meaning buffoon but one none the less. He lacks the basic X's and O's skills or even the ability to admit he is wrong. He is Buddy Ryan in a new better likable package - he thinks offense is just there and is the least important phase of the game when in today's NFL it is THE most important. This is a QB driven league bottom line.

Look in the 80's This style football won one superbowl for Singletary - run first pass last with one of the Greatest running backs of all time and a mediocre QB - Mike Singletary is still trying to prove that was the best system - He isn't man enough to admit Bill Walsh and an attack orientated Offense that is driven by precision and throwing the ball beat his brain's in over and over again in the 80's and is the dominant form of football.

It is now painfully obvious we have a completely useless head coach who has no idea how to win in today's NFL - the same thing we have had in the position for the last 8 years.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

The common denominator between your argument, and mines, is Alex Smith. This isnt something that started this season, Ceadder. We've been going at it for the past 3-4 years, and it seems that management has done everything to fulfill YOUR requirements, only to get the same results. You guys wanted a stellar defense ? You pretty much got one. You wanted Smith to have viable options at WR and RB ? Well, you got them.

The only reason why I blame Smith over everything else is that you guys use the same argument to defend him, even though your variables have changed for the better. Whereas my argument has always been the same.

No matter what Smith has (or doesnt), he cant seem to take advantage of it. He still opts for the short pass, goes through his progressions too quickly, rolls out of the pocket unnecessarily and throws it away, etc. We could go back 3 years and you'll find a same exact quote from me then that you do now.

I dont need to point out other mistakes, because they're blatantly apparent. Im not excusing our oline, our poor playcalling, our defense, etc. But I am saying that we have a QB that doesnt have the ability to overcome these deficiencies. You know, Brady/Manning dont always have the best weapons, lines, etc. But they improvise, and Alex does not. He needs everything to be perfect in order to excel, and that my friend......does not lead to championships. Can you argue this point ?

NO SH@T?!!!!

Done everything? You're sure about that?

Are the Receivers catching Passes consistently?

Nope.

Is the Line solid on the Road as they are at home?

Nope.

Is the playcalling imaginative?

I stick up for Raye. You can only do so much to help your guys be successful. But in this instance? HELL NO! Please tell me WHY we went Screen after success to Westbrook? Same side of the ball?

Chilo cannot PULL for shat dude. He Pulled, he blocked Berry(I believe it was) for not even a second and Berry just disengaged and stood up Moran which blocked Frank successfully from getting yards.

Why did we abandon the Run? Because our Line was SHAT, and they asked Smith to perform a Xmas day miracle. No QB can outplay his Line. It will NEVER happen. There is a reason why Joe and Steve had their success.

THEY HAD CONSISTENT BLOCKING UP FRONT.

Did you watch NFL Countdown today?

They did a performance write up about a Steelers ILB. Had him go straight at a Dummy QB standing behind 1600 lbs of tackling dummies. He got through them in 2.6 seconds.

First thing I came away with was "If that were a real line, he wouldn't be near that quick". Then I saw our game and it was "Damn I hope we never see that guy with our Line looking like this".

Of course the guy at the center of this argument is Smith. But you want to change that guy out so we can continue this BS conversation about another QB.

Newsflash, before Smith was drafter I didn't want him. I wanted Rattay to stick around and address all the OTHER facets of this argument before we got a QB.

And I was pretty damned vocal about it too. I wanted the guy that just got busted for his 2nd DUI. Damn glad we didn't get him now.He was such a good pick that Cleveland got rid of him and the Jets are wishing they didn't get him.

I wanted weapons and protection for our QB whoever he is. If that makes me an apologist in your eyes? I can live with that stigma. It's never been about Smith from the very beginning. It's only that way because of the hand we dealt ourselves.

And the Line is not there but it WILL be. Regardless of how this season ends, we WILL be able to protect the QB. Whoever he is. I would like it to be Smith as much of a beating he's taken because of our brain trust. But if it's not I can be happy just the same.

While you run around with your chicken head cut off routine, I know why this team has failed year in and year out and I have been 100% right.

You can only hope to have this kind of insight ZRF. You're a reactionary. Nothing wrong with that, except you don't give clear thought to how to fix the issues.

QB is the LEAST of our concerns.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

As I've said in the past, ZRF80 is not a rational fan, he is simply an Alex Smith hater and has never, ever seen any of the other things that have been plaguing this team for the last few years. The list is endless and easily recognized, unless you are ZRF80, then it's just all Smith's fault.

Hill, struggled with Martz, struggled under Raye's system too, so bad in fact that they gave the reigns to Smith.
JTO, struggled with Martz.
Dilfer struggled with whats his name.

Those qb's are never criticized by Z, why? Not sure, but it's damn weird.

One reason is because Hill, JTO, and Dilfer were not the #1 overall pick in the draft. You expect that pick to put a team on his shoulders and improve players around him, kind of like Aaron Rodgers is doing in GB. I say let him play out and at the end of the season start fresh with someone else. That goes for the coordinator too.
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
REALISTICALLY, we need to give Nate Davis or Troy Smith a shot. If it doesn't work then we can all RREALISTICALLY stop drinking the Nate Davis Kool-Aid ( including myself, cuz am sipping it right now). And Realistically and Permanently give the QB coach a Realistic shot at play-calling

This

By continuing to believe in Alex Smith, we are now 3-4 years behind schedule because we still have to find our QB for the future. You cant win with a QB who is content with swing passes to the running back and has no heart to go up field. Games like the one against the Saints are few and far for Smith.

The real Smith is the one we've seen for 80% of the time he's been here. Bad accuracy, no guts to challenge DB's down the field, in fact he'd rather throw a check down pass. Some of its play calling but the rest is his own lack of skills at the position.The Alexcuses didn't work for players of the past when Walsh or Seifert was here and they still don't work for 6 year vets still working on footwork. Donovan doesn't look so bad at this point after all now would he?
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Sep 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM ]

And if it's true that LE Smith was intentionally grabbing Davis' privates, that dude needs to be run out of the league on a rail. He seriously needs a beating on national TV for that crap if it's true. I hope he gets one.

~Ceadder

Apparently did the same thing to Alex Mack in Cleveland last week too.
here are some simple things that alex smith needs in order to succeed:

1)better head coach (to make the rest of the team as good as Alex)
2)better offensive coordinator (better gameplan, and playcalling)
3)betta O-line(more time needed for alex to hold on to the ball, to find an open WR)
4)better wide recievers (to catch the dang ball)
5)better 49ers defense (to give alex the ball back, more chances for him)
6)bigger hands(to grip better and throw better)
7)less crowd noise from opposing teams(so he can concentrate)
8)a football equipped to fly lower(NFL needs to look into this)
9)Easier opponents(not fair to alex cause we have a hard early schedule)
10)more years in the same system so he can learn(did u kno, alex is the smartest guy on our team? he jusss needs a few more years to realize his potential)

with these 10 simeple things, Alex smith can easily take us to a 7-9 record, and give us hope, the following year, of probably making the playoffs, maybe....
A purge needs to be done with the staff. Non of you can honestly say you can see this staff coaching a superbowl. We need to a new coach that brings in a winning attitude and knows how to win
Originally posted by socal81:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
I'm sorry, but I can't believe the mindless optimism I have seen here over the past few years. And nothing showed that more than this week's poll, which had 87% of respondents predicting a victory over the Chiefs. With our complete meltdown in Seattle, and our 4 turnovers and bone-head plays against New Orleans, I couldn't believe so many people thought we would win at K.C. especially when we have a history of playing poorly at Arrowhead. K.C. has a sharp HC in Haley, and a DC, OC and GM from a Super Bowl winning dynasty. We have a kid owner with no experience in the NFL, and Dumb and Dumber as our HC and OC, along with no GM, so how in the world would you expect that we could win? Look how fast K.C. has turned it around with competent coaching. For as much as Coach Sing preaches discipline, this is one of the most undisciplined teams I have ever seen. Sing is so focused on being physical, that he has ignored the mental preparation for both players and coaches.

I was glad to hear that most people have stopped drinking the Coach Sing Koolaid after today's game. The guy is certainly passionate, but he has no clue how to manage a game, or run an offense. Jed York fell in love with Singletary based upon half a season of playing softball teams in 2008, and we missed out on a lot of top coaches by doing this. Looking back, are you still glad that Sing fired Mike Martz and replaced him with Raye? I love this team, and I think we do have a lot of talent, but we will never win again until we have four things:

1. An elite Head coach
2. An elite Quarterback
3. A creative offensive coordinator
4. A credible, experienced GM

4 valid and excellent points. That being said, and looking at the schedule, looks like a 4-12 season at best. I hope at the end of the year; Jon Gruden decides to coach again, we draft Andrew Luck or Jake Locker, and bring someone like Bill Parcels to be the GM

Hire Gruden. I hope you do.

Just don't be surprised if he went with Smith anyway. Did you guys not listen to MNF or did you watch the game and listen to KNBR?

Look what Gruden did with the QBs' he was given? He made them work.

We just need legit play calling. Sing leaves Raye to his own. You cannot be a HC in this league if you're micromanaging your Coordinators. No Coordinator with success will work for you if you even try.

Notice that Martz and Sing parted company because Sing tried to do so. Sing was right and Martz was wrong. Vernon would have been cast out and the Zone would be happy about it if Martz had still been around.

Smith would not have gotten onto the field last year and we would have a worse record than what we had. And Sully would still be Sully. Holding proven guys back because of some Practice Warrior.

If you never believe anything I say I hope you believe this. Because truer words will never be spoken. Sing is not the problem. Just as Nolan was not the problem until his final year. I told you guys that Sing and Nolan were like minded in their approach. The only difference being that he commands a lot more respect from his players than Nolan ever did. And that was evident when Sing was the Linebackers Coach.

Manusky is still a solid Coordinator. But he needs to be up in the booth. This was exposed today. You cannot hope to see what the Opponent is doing when you're on the sideline. Ray Rhodes never ran his Defense from the Sidelines. Seifert never did either.

Manu has to take a snipers position so he can SEE how the Opponents are setting their screens and so he can better prepare our signal caller for it.

Lewis needs to sit and only get on the field in Dime Blitz packages. He got caught out of position too much.

Nate is fine. In fact he was the lone bright spot in the Run Game. He made good stops. Unfortunately he was out on an Island on screen plays.

Goldson was not bad but he wasn't good either. But a lot of our dysfunctionality on Defense has to do with Manusky being down on the field.

Offensively we just have to get and keep momentum going on our side of the ball. There was no momentum. And when there was it was snuffed by drops for the most part.

The announcer even pointed to that one Pass where Smith was running and Frank was in stride with him Alex threw the ball and it was catchable. Too much mustard? Probably. But it WAS catchable and Frank whiffed it.

When you give our QB time to throw the ball he's pretty damned accurate. And when he's not you have to be prepared for it. Tree isn't prepared. Morgan isn't prepared. Gore wasn't prepared(but did better than Tree) hell only one guy was prepared and that was Ziggy.

You ask Rice if he had a drop who that's on. He would tell you it was on him. Regardless of whether the ball was directly on target or not. Only time I ever saw that man bish was if the ball WASN'T thrown to him in a Losing situation.

I'm tired of seeing our QB get ripped up one side and down the other when catchable Passes are dropped.

If they are not catchable fine. I would rip any QB for that. But at the end of the day how many CATCHABLE Passes were dropped. Again not every Pass is going to be a thing of beauty. Joe and Steve threw their fair share of FUGLY Passes. Their Receivers made them look good in spite of that. That is something OUR Receivers do NOT do. And it's time to call them on it and hold them accountable.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:

This

By continuing to believe in Alex Smith, we are now 3-4 years behind schedule because we still have to find our QB for the future. You cant win with a QB who is content with swing passes to the running back and has no heart to go up field. Games like the one against the Saints are few and far for Smith.

The real Smith is the one we've seen for 80% of the time he's been here. Bad accuracy, no guts to challenge DB's down the field, in fact he'd rather throw a check down pass. Some of its play calling but the rest is his own lack of skills at the position.The Alexcuses didn't work for players of the past when Walsh or Seifert was here and they still don't work for 6 year vets still working on footwork. Donovan doesn't look so bad at this point after all now would he?

Yay let's swap out Smith for Smith.

Both can Run and gash the Opposing Defenses. No change.

Both can throw the ball to their Receivers. No change.

Oh but guess what? We're still looking for that ever elusive QB to magically make everything all better.

Will that make the Line better? No.

Will that make Morgan, Tree and Ginn better? No.

Will that open holes for Frank? No.

Will Dixon get on the field quicker? No.

Will that make the Raye's play calling better? No.

Will that stop our D from hemorrhaging yards? No.

So all we did was change one QB for another.

Did you not learn ANYTHING from the Hill experiment?

All the issues remained. Unfortunately Hill brought another issue with him and that was the inability to go deep.

Even Joe could go deep if you were not covering for long Passes. Hill could only throw deep MAYBE once a game and his farthest thrown Pass was 35 yards.

"~It came down like a Punt"

If we change the QB right now we're basically going to sh@tcan any confidence that his teammates have in Smith. Troy Smith doesn't bring ANY credibility with him if we make him QB1. And give me a freaking break, elevating Nate Davis from the Practice Squad isn't even feasible. We would have to IMMEDIATELY cut someone (Please cut Norris, PLEASE) and then bring Davis up and THEN we'd have FOUR QBs' who would be stuck with the same issues QB1 thru 3 face.

So really would you rather just suffer through the rest of Smith's career if that's how it works out, or would you make the change knowing ALL the issues?

One thing that was missing from the Offense today was Play Action. Not ONE play action Pass after the Flea Flicker. Not one.

No fake to Frank. No Reverses. Nothing. I did notice that plays really were not getting in on time either. Much of the game Alex had something like 8 seconds on the average to stand behind Center. No sense of urgency after that Flicker either.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone