LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Oh yes, it's STAT TIME!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TDilvr:
I had succumbed to the all of the negativity this past week and was beginning to write Alex off. He played a hell of a game and put this team in positions to succeed. He produced some of the best QB play we've seen in a long time. Sorry haters you can go screw yourselves on this one. Take away the damn turnovers and this game is a win assuming we didn't sit on a 3 point lead. When we got into the redzone and didn't shoot ourselves in the foot (3x's), we scored.

PWilly and the D played lights out all night long. Think about what they did.

DWalk is a fumble machine. He needs to be slapped upside the head for how he carries the ball out and away. He should be made to carry the ball high and tight for the next 15 weeks wherever he goes. How many times does the ball pop out of his hands when he goes down? His shoddy ball security skills keep him from becoming an elite player.

I thought the ESPN crew did a great job of calling the game.

well said.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I honestly wonder if it wouldn't have been better for Smith to just let them have the TD on the safety. Because they wouldn't up getting a TD from the good field position anyway. If they wind up with 7 points then they have to kick off to us and we get the ball back. Thoughts?

Uh no. I thought it shows how far he's come to hit the ball out for the safety. Pre-shoulder injuries i could easily see him trying to pick it up and make a play. It's 2 points early in the game. Smart move.

The real issue with that, IMO, was the crappy Andy Lee punt after the safety! He gave them the ball @ the 50! He did make up for it tackling Bush later on though. GO ANDY LEE! haha.

what if he just picked it up and just threw it our of bounds? woulda been intentional grounding and a penalty, but at least we wouldnt have given the Saints a free 2 points and the ball back!!

right?

offensive penalty in the endzone is still a safety IIRC.

oh ok. Didn't know that! Thanks for clarifying.
I honestly wonder if it wouldn't have been better for Smith to just let them have the TD on the safety. Because they wouldn't up getting a TD from the good field position anyway. If they wind up with 7 points then they have to kick off to us and we get the ball back. Thoughts?

unorthodox....yet interesting.
Taylor Mays needs some love! 1 on 1 vs Bush and he comes up with the open field tackle!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

nah always knock it out and give em 2 not 7 no way of knowing the free kick was gonna suck and give them good field position

and the stats say 4 turnovers but you gotta count that bone head play a turnover as well that 9 point swing was killer and the only points they scored in the half

I've heard this song and dance before....it's funny listening to Jaws talk about Smith has arrived because i heard this same thing in Seattle a couple years ago...then i think he had his shoulder separated but still...i've heard it before now it needs to happen! and just not one game! but every week...Smith needs to show that he is the leader of this team and whether he plays great or not he needs to make plays when they matter most
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
I'm feeling just great after last night's game. I'm sure a lot of u guys had a tough week cuz of all the doubt about our team after Seattle game. This game cleared those doubts. No more doubts about Alex Smith. He did that against the SB champs. If Niners blew out Seattle and played crap against the Saints @ home, I'd be much more worried about our future. This team proved that they belong in top 10 NFL teams this year. Just remember guys, they're not gonna turn the ball over 4 times every week. And, I'm sure the offense won't function as good as it did last night every week either. No team is perfect. U just have to be good enough and our team finally is good enough.
  • HIMYM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ktate14:
I've heard this song and dance before....it's funny listening to Jaws talk about Smith has arrived because i heard this same thing in Seattle a couple years ago...then i think he had his shoulder separated but still...i've heard it before now it needs to happen! and just not one game! but every week...Smith needs to show that he is the leader of this team and whether he plays great or not he needs to make plays when they matter most

He did play good in that game. But, it was nowhere compared to what he did yesterday. Didn't u think the game was over and Smith would just give it up when we needed 8 points to tie it? To me, the Niners won so much more than just one game when they came back and tied the game.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HIMYM:
I'm feeling just great after last night's game. I'm sure a lot of u guys had a tough week cuz of all the doubt about our team after Seattle game. This game cleared those doubts. No more doubts about Alex Smith. He did that against the SB champs. If Niners blew out Seattle and played crap against the Saints @ home, I'd be much more worried about our future. This team proved that they belong in top 10 NFL teams this year. Just remember guys, they're not gonna turn the ball over 4 times every week. And, I'm sure the offense won't function as good as it did last night every week either. No team is perfect. U just have to be good enough and our team finally is good enough.

I'm not feeling great, but definitely better than last week. This team showed that it will compete this year. The problem is that last year we lost a lot of close games. We lost in the final seconds to Minnesota and after the game, we vowed to meet them in the NFC Championship. We only ended up 8-8 and missed the playoffs. We lost 5 games by less than 20 points combined. That was last year. This year, we're supposed to win the close ones. What good is it to consistently lose by 3 points? Don't get me wrong...I'm proud of the way this team battled against the Saints, but in the end, you must win the game. Hopefully they remember this next week because the K.C. game is a must-win. I won't be happy with "Oh, we lost by only 3 points and it's a road game." Just win.
Originally posted by oreck16:
Alex' best game ever.

Too bad all I heard leaving the stadium from countless Saints fans was

"...If only you guys have a QB.."

really o left the game hearing alex did a good job saints and niner fans

• HIMYM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by HIMYM:

I'm not feeling great, but definitely better than last week. This team showed that it will compete this year. The problem is that last year we lost a lot of close games. We lost in the final seconds to Minnesota and after the game, we vowed to meet them in the NFC Championship. We only ended up 8-8 and missed the playoffs. We lost 5 games by less than 20 points combined. That was last year. This year, we're supposed to win the close ones. What good is it to consistently lose by 3 points? Don't get me wrong...I'm proud of the way this team battled against the Saints, but in the end, you must win the game. Hopefully they remember this next week because the K.C. game is a must-win. I won't be happy with "Oh, we lost by only 3 points and it's a road game." Just win.

I get where u're coming from. But, that's what we'll find out now. Obviously if they don't make these mistakes & do the little things right, they can win every game. Don't forget last year this team would've lost the same game by 8+ points. What got me excited again was the last Niner drive. As I said, they won't turn the ball over 4 times every game and the D won't have 0 takeaways in every game. Keep up the hope man. It's no fun to be a fan when all u do is think that every other team is perfect and our team is the worst.
Share 49ersWebzone