There are 181 users in the forums

Ramifications if Alex fails..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Smith is scared to throw it any further than 10 yards. Backup QB at best.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
If Smith fails.... yesterday, he played horrible. However, just to point out, it was shockingly quiet, when he drove us down the field and Morgan made the TD catch. Many fairweather fans, or Smith haters, I kid you not, said nothing at all. And all the true fans said good job Smith, he looked great/ good/ solid, etc.

But that first Int, and i dont care who likes it, the Trolls were in full effect. Now i dont mean the ones that clapped when he did good, and then yelled when he f**ked up. Im talkin about the trolls, that say nothing, when he's doing good, and first in line when he messes up.

Im not taking anything away from how he played after the 1st quarter, but some things did change after that. Protection vanished. Just like last season, we talk about him rolling or going thru his progressions, when for some reason when the seam to Davis was taken away, why still does it seem like our WR's get no separation. Im the first to Say Smith f**ked up big time, but lets not forget about others as well. The throw to Morgan was a good throw, and most after that play talked of how Morgan should of got that foot down, not how bad the throw was.

The INT's to Crabs, say what u want, but Favre threw one of the hardest balls in the NFL. I never heard an announcer said too much mustard on that one. But the first INT off of CRabs hands. The second communication on both ends, however, sure didnt see Crabs try to make up for it by chasing the defender down to prevent the TD.

Deep throws i dont know where to begin. Yeah he missed a few, no excuses what soever. But i swear we didnt attempt a down field pass the entire first half. Even HOF coach Jimmy Johnson when asked, didnt say how f**ked up Smith looked. He was true, and said the line isnt helping Gore. We are a team that for the offense we run, can afford a very small window for error. Notice he mentioned the playcalling, and dinks and dunks. Thats not the offense, thats the playcalling. And that if Gore cant set up the run game, then we become one dimentional, and they can pressure Smith all day, and just protect the backfield.

We failed to get a first down I think 3 times in the first half on 3rd and 1. But that was all Smith's fault. No one is making any excuse for the mis throws, etc. he f**ked up just like the rest of them did. But to single him out, as the main reason we f**ked up is beyond me.

And with coaching, give me a break. I watched that new orleans minnesota game. New orleans was gettin their asses handed. Just not producing much. After half time, the coaching noticed Minnesota's weakness, and ran the ball more than running. and they won. in houston, ran the ball more, with 1 td from the qb, and they won. With us, FG's, what 37 yards on the ground.

Our main focus that we ALL CAN AGREE ON is that Gore is the main focal point. Well they take him out the game completely. And the niners had no idea how to adjust. And as usual, they do when it's too late.

Overall, no one has to accept mediocrity, but if we act like our season is over because of this first loss, then why watch the rest. Only our fans are ready to rip apart our team to satisfy a few fans, and let me tell you, in the days of MOntana, Young, s**t garcia, and bad ass Rattay. Our fans didnt switch up and hate like this.
We endured 2-14, and 4-12. And i didnt hear this much hate.

Someone without saying names, even put a gif up of Rodgers and GB. And we call that fan loyalty. True fans of niners past would be turnin in their graves. I wish fans back then would of put an Aikman or GB Favre gif in any niner column. They would of gotten ridiculed and probably run out of town.

The team will get their act together and i bet they'll be ready for the home opener. Whats more sad then the loss tho, is the fans. If ya'll are gonna jump ship, after one loss. YOur basically telling the entire team, "I know you guys think you have the pieces in order because you play together, but as a fan i know whats best... Get rid of blah, blah, blah, and that'll take u over the top" Hell of an expression to a team we are supposed to be supporting...

Sorry my friend; this is the epitome of Alexcuses. I can't speak personally towards you, but just a couple of weeks ago many up here demeaned Nate Davis and exagerated the circumstances by calling him stupid, dumb and lazy while ignoring his play making ability. There were a few of us who did not like the coaching through the media methods used by Sing to demean that young talent. "He should be like Alex," Sing and many proclaimed with confidence that Alex had turned a new leaf.

It was OK to support Alex Smith as he deserved the support; but not the expense of developing a player who most objective observers maintain is a more talented QB. Yes, Davis has work to do; but he would have done no worst than what we saw on Sunday.

Now after Smith has done the unthinkable and did not even get his team into the endzone against a developing team, some want to make excuses for him; the same sort of excuses given to him for the past six years. Many of the same folks found humor in how Davis was treated. But what appears to have been ignored is that Davis can do more with what he knows and if properly coached; offered the best option to Smith; at this point. He is clearly more talented than Carr and knows more than the other Smith.

God forbid if Smith has another underperforming game next week that leads to another blowout as egg will be on the face of many including Sing, some Davis hatin fans and management. Hopefully it is not the case, but if it happens; it's well deserving.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
i tottally disagree, all we need to do is trade for a good qb or sign on in free agency

see my post #64 in this thread.

You can pin a rose on a pig's nose but it is still a pig. (Raye offense)

as much as you want to blame the offensive playcalling or philosophy...

well there were key plays that initially worked, and should have been TDs, would you agree?

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

and there were countless other times where Vernon or other players were open in the middle of the field, but Alex chose to check it down...or throw it out of bounce.

Smith has always relied on the check down option. That's why WR's never put up good #'s with him at the helm. The man can't get it downfield, and when he does, he misses the target most of the time.

The ONLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) reason Smith is still with this team is because he was the #1 overall draft pick. Everyone knows that if he was selected in the 2nd round or lower (like he should have been), he would have been cut long ago, most likely right after the shoulder injury, along with an injury settlement.

It is a wierd thing with the 49ers. You just don't see NFL teams rolling the dice for this long on a player that has had very shakey NFL career (for whatever reason). At least not as a starting QB, which is a player that will make or break your season. They are a very strange team.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
i tottally disagree, all we need to do is trade for a good qb or sign on in free agency

well there were key plays that initially worked, and should have been TDs, would you agree?

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

and there were countless other times where Vernon or other players were open in the middle of the field, but Alex chose to check it down...or throw it out of bounce.[/quote]

Smith has always relied on the check down option. That's why WR's never put up good #'s with him at the helm. The man can't get it downfield, and when he does, he misses the target most of the time.

The ONLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) reason Smith is still with this team is because he was the #1 overall draft pick. Everyone knows that if he was selected in the 2nd round or lower (like he should have been), he would have been cut long ago, most likely right after the shoulder injury, along with an injury settlement.

It is a wierd thing with the 49ers. You just don't see NFL teams rolling the dice for this long on a player that has had very shakey NFL career (for whatever reason). At least not as a starting QB, which is a player that will make or break your season. They are a very strange team.

Throwing it out of bounce man? LOL..Like the Larry Bird/ Magic commerical? Off the tee..off the knee...off the helmet back on the field into the waiting hands of VD to a....... TD!!! LOL
  • dj43

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

and there were countless other times where Vernon or other players were open in the middle of the field, but Alex chose to check it down...or throw it out of bounce.
I am trying get the point across that as bad, or good, as people want to make Smith out to be, the system MUST work to allow players to play to their best ability. Yesterday the running game wasn't working either, do you blame that on Frank Gore?

Seattle wasn't supposed to have a very good DL but the scheme the coaches put in play defeated the 49ers hand-picked group of monster offensive linemen in the running game because the play-selection and design is very limited and predictable. GIVEN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES, very few quarterbacks will thrive, including McNabb.

That's all...
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

what's even weirder is the egos that selected Smith (Scotty & Nolan) are both gone. So why is Smith still here? Sing decided to go balls out and mortgage the house on Smith, and now he is paying the price. I think he even got rid of Hill just so Smith wouldn't have to look over his shoulder! How lame!
  • dj43

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

what's even weirder is the egos that selected Smith (Scotty & Nolan) are both gone. So why is Smith still here? Sing decided to go balls out and mortgage the house on Smith, and now he is paying the price. I think he even got rid of Hill just so Smith wouldn't have to look over his shoulder! How lame!
Shaj, we all know Smith didn't get it done yesterday, but would you acknowledge that the play calling and selection had a negative impact on the offense as well?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

Shaj, we all know Smith didn't get it done yesterday, but would you acknowledge that the play calling and selection had a negative impact on the offense as well?

I am not willing to continue to entertain excuses for this year 6 #1 overall draft pick. I'm just not. Did you watch Sam Bradford play for the worst team in the league yesterday, in his very first NFL stint? Where are his excuses? WE ARE IN YEAR SIX WITH OUR PROJECT. SIX YEARS!!!

A guy like Smith ought to be able to take control of these kind of situations and start audibling or making his own calls and just making them happen. He has enough talent around him. Franchise QBs are supposed to elevate their team's play to another level. Smith has never demonstrated the ability to do that - he always brings us down to romper room level.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The process of elimination says that the recurring problem is Alex Smith. We need a new QB in 2011. Let Smith tantalize another team next year with his slow-as-molasses learning curve.

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

I am not willing to continue to entertain excuses for this year 6 #1 overall draft pick. I'm just not. Did you watch Sam Bradford play for the worst team in the league yesterday, in his very first NFL stint? Where are his excuses? WE ARE IN YEAR SIX WITH OUR PROJECT. SIX YEARS!!!

A guy like Smith ought to be able to take control of these kind of situations and start audibling or making his own calls and just making them happen. He has enough talent around him. Franchise QBs are supposed to elevate their team's play to another level. Smith has never demonstrated the ability to do that - he always brings us down to romper room level.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. The process of elimination says that the recurring problem is Alex Smith. We need a new QB in 2011. Let Smith tantalize another team next year with his slow-as-molasses learning curve.

I am not so sure the 49ers intentionally called a dink & dunk game, or that the QB was doing that because he doesn't have command of the offense. There were 45 passing attempts in this game, and as pointed out by the broadcasters, times where guys were running open while Smith checked it down to Gore.
I don't hate Alex. It isn't his fault he is mediocre--I really believe he does his best. I also admire his positive attitude in the face of some bad coaching, poor treatment, bad management decisions, etc. and I would welcome him as a backup on this team. I do NOT want him to be the starting QB here--we cannot win with him. In light of that truth, it is infuriating that we are now in a position to have to possibly draft a new QB and waste the prime years of our other stars while he learns how to be good. We should have picked up McNabb and maximized this stretch while we primed a young QB to take over. Anyone know any free agent QBs in 2011??

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

LOL @ asking that question to Shaj. He doesn't consider context or that it's a team sport.

-9fA

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

Very Strange. I had to eat crow a couple of years ago because I was absolutely certain they were going to cut Smith and not rework his deal. Everything I thought I knew about the NFL told me this is when franchises and #1 QBs part ways. Turns out I was wrong.

But not really.

I still understand the NFL very well. But I just don't get the Niners.
  • dj43

TD to Morgan
TD to Norris
TD to Ginn

You didn't answer my question.

Would you acknowledge that the play calling and play selection had a negative impact on the offense?

Add in the fact that the HEAD COACH has publicly acknowledged that the team has a major problem getting plays down to the field on time.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Its one thing not to be great but alex did not look good today.. This is is make or break season and if he fails then this organization is set back 3 to 5 years. Meaning Gore is pretty much a Wash. Vernon is older hopefully wiser.. crabs will be on his way out the door looking for a big fa contract and willis his best years will be coming to an end sooner than letter.. Basically he resets the franchise and prob gets the coaching staff fired.... damn....
This does have some truth to it but I think Smith WILL do MUCH better against the Saints. He knows its a make or break season and he is not about to let his chance slip from his grasp.
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
I don't hate Alex. It isn't his fault he is mediocre--I really believe he does his best. I also admire his positive attitude in the face of some bad coaching, poor treatment, bad management decisions, etc. and I would welcome him as a backup on this team. I do NOT want him to be the starting QB here--we cannot win with him. In light of that truth, it is infuriating that we are now in a position to have to possibly draft a new QB and waste the prime years of our other stars while he learns how to be good. We should have picked up McNabb and maximized this stretch while we primed a young QB to take over. Anyone know any free agent QBs in 2011??
mcnabb here, 6 years there...guys, stop annoying. mcnabb wasnt that good last year. and a lot of these 6 years alex was injured or got a new OC every single season. last year he played solid, for me enough to give him a very last chance.
the o-line has to be better, the defense has to close their gaps...as long as that didnt happen, we would even lose with manning at qb.

one lost game, where everyone on the niners roster was embarassing and the trolls got new life here.
Share 49ersWebzone