There are 263 users in the forums

Maiocco: Singletary Calls Out Smith, Crabtree, O-Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
SEATTLE -- This is certainly not the statement 49ers coach Mike Singletary wanted to be forced to make after the first game of the season.

But following the 49ers' atrocious 31-6 opening loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Qwest Field, Singletary had to face the question about his quarterback.

"Alex (Smith) is our quarterback," Singletary declared. "At no time did I think about putting David Carr into the football game."

That is what Singletary said in his remarks to the media. But in the 49ers' locker room, Singletary "called out" Smith, receiver Michael Crabtree and the offensive line, a team source told Comcast SportsNet after the game.

By all accounts, Smith had a very good offseason. He demonstrated a greater knowledge of the 49ers' offense and earned his status as a team captain. But there was no carryover into the regular-season opener.

Smith and Crabtree certainly did not grow as a tandem during training camp. Their work together was limited, as Crabtree never stepped onto the field during the exhibition season because of a neck strain.

Even running back Frank Gore spoke up in the postgame locker room about the offense's lack of practice and play during the preseason, the source said.
"It started this summer with the penalties and the mistakes and then all the people not being there," 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said. "And it reared its head today. Those omens stayed pretty true."

Smith completed 26 of 45 passes for 225 yards. He threw two interceptions that turned the course of the game on passes intended for Crabtree.

On the first interception, Crabtree appeared to take his eye off the ball as it arrived. Safety Jordan Babineaux intercepted the pass on the ricochet and returned it to the 13-yard line. One play later, the Seahawks scored a touchdown to take a 14-6 lead at halftime.

Less than a minute into the second half, Smith threw high to Crabtree, who had no chance to make the catch. Smith and offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye intimated Crabtree did not run the proper route. Cornerback Marcus Trufant made the interception and returned it 32 yards for a back-breaking touchdown.

"The first one, I don't know if that's so much chemistry -- just him being quick to turn and make a play," Smith said. "The second one, I'd say a little more of that. I'm thinking one thing, and he obviously wasn't thinking the same thing, resulting in a pick-six. It changed the game."

What made it especially frustrating for Raye is that play is a staple of the 49ers' offense. There was nothing complex about it. There should have been no confusion over the execution of the play, Raye said.

"We've probably run it 50,000 times, and it goes back for a touchdown the other way," Raye said. "You don't anticipate that."

When asked about the issue of chemistry with his quarterback, Crabtree said it was a non-issue.

"We (are) good," he said. "You can have all the chemistry in the world in practice but when Sunday comes, you have to make plays. Like I said, even if we had it in the exhibition season we're doing the same thing. You have to make something happen on Sunday.

"Game over now. Whatever happened, happened. I had 12 yards on two catches. Right now, I'm thinking about next week. That's behind me."

More Here
Reading that article depressed me. They seem all out of sync as if they never even went through training camp together or even talked. This team looks dysfunctional and it paints dismal forecast for the season.
I love Crabtree's philosophy. Skip out on everything and come in on Sunday expecting all your cards to fall the right way.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Reading that article depressed me. They seem all out of sync as if they never even went through training camp together or even talked. This team looks dysfunctional and it paints dismal forecast for the season.

practice is going to be hell this week
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
I love Crabtree's philosophy. Skip out on everything and come in on Sunday expecting all your cards to fall the right way.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Singletary ought to call himself out also, he put a team on the field that wasn't ready to play. He is starting to become a finger pointer. I think the "Can Singletary learn on the job?" experiment should be over. Even though he doesn't pull his pants down anymore he is still getting the same results. 49ers tied the Raiders for worst loss yesterday, and we all knew the Raiders were going to be bad. Crabtree should not have been out there if he wasn't ready, that is on the coach.
f*ck Crabtrees' comments. I'm glad we f'd him over on his contract.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by BobS:
Singletary ought to call himself out also, he put a team on the field that wasn't ready to play. He is starting to become a finger pointer. I think the "Can Singletary learn on the job?" experiment should be over. Even though he doesn't pull his pants down anymore he is still getting the same results. 49ers tied the Raiders for worst loss yesterday, and we all knew the Raiders were going to be bad. Crabtree should not have been out there if he wasn't ready, that is on the coach.
  • ZRF80
There's a good lesson to be made here. I know you try to limit your star players in the preseason (prevent injury), but in reality.....we're not the Colts or Pats, folks. Asides from Willis, there's no reason why guys like Gore, VD, Crabs, etc. should be getting time off cause we expect them to continue where they left off from seasons past. This is a young team with an unproven QB that needs the repetition with his teammates. Not allowing our starters to play preseason may be showing now that we're in season.....

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

practice is going to be hell this week

Probably, but what is actually needed is some instruction and coaching, not more friggin motivating.
Does Singletary ever put any blame on himself?
Singletary should have called himself out.
can someone on this team man up and say it was my fault, or are they gonna keep pointing fingers?
This looks like a Nolan team
Share 49ersWebzone