LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 318 users in the forums

Pat Kirwan's take on 3 WR formations

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by znk916:

Though I like the idea, it may wear on the D, the reason is this, running plays take more time, even if you go 3 and out. This means the D may have to be on the field more often.

More important is that the niners don't start the year like last year, run run run run even when they can't run. sing and Raye need to get it thru their thick skulls that you need to keep the D on their heels. Just like his D with the bears kept Opposing Os on theirs. At the same time if the run is working and the other side can't stop it then run run run run bombs away. If they did that, maybe we woulda won the second meeting with the seachickens.

In fact I hope we do a bomb with VD or Ginn on the very first play if they creep up.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Though I like the idea, it may wear on the D, the reason is this, running plays take more time, even if you go 3 and out. This means the D may have to be on the field more often.

More important is that the niners don't start the year like last year, run run run run even when they can't run. sing and Raye need to get it thru their thick skulls that you need to keep the D on their heels. Just like his D with the bears kept Opposing Os on theirs. At the same time if the run is working and the other side can't stop it then run run run run bombs away. If they did that, maybe we woulda won the second meeting with the seachickens.

In fact I hope we do a bomb with VD or Ginn on the very first play if they creep up.

I'll be very surprised if the first play is anything but Gore up the middle.

-9fA
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
agreed 3 WR 2 RB and 1 TE is the deadliest formation were gonna have this year

so are we going to be running with 4 OL's, 5 OL's w/o a QB, or are we gunna try and sneak out 12 dudes on the field cause that would be super deadly!
Originally posted by znk916:

, for once its a good thread in ninertalk
Originally posted by Tman:

so are we going to be running with 4 OL's, 5 OL's w/o a QB, or are we gunna try and sneak out 12 dudes on the field cause that would be super deadly!

C'mon on man, that's the only way a Jimmy Raye offense can be effective.....12 man offense!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
If preseason is any indication, we will see a lot of the "F-back" in our formations. Walker and Byham both lined up wide, slot, TE, and in the backfield. I think we see "F-back" and TE far more often than 3 wideouts. The idea being that it gives more flexibility... you can give the three wide look to gain the benefits from the article and then flex in to block.

We'll see how creative the offense is this season, though. The scheme doesn't work if you always flex in to block.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
If preseason is any indication, we will see a lot of the "F-back" in our formations. Walker and Byham both lined up wide, slot, TE, and in the backfield. I think we see "F-back" and TE far more often than 3 wideouts. The idea being that it gives more flexibility... you can give the three wide look to gain the benefits from the article and then flex in to block.

We'll see how creative the offense is this season, though. The scheme doesn't work if you always flex in to block.

Kinda like Morgan going in motion to block? Jimmy Raye's offense will never, ever be considered "creative". The Niners will use alot of 2 TE sets, with VD/Walker pushing safeties up the middle of the field. Also, we'll see alot of pulling guards/trap plays, draws, screens, etc. Nothing creative going on with this offense.....
I would love for SF to go with more 3 WR sets. I don't think all that much of Norris at FB or Walker at TE. I see no reason why Gore can't effectively run in a 3 WR set, and we could use as much of Ginn Jr's speed on the field as we can get. Let's see if teams dare to oppose us in their base D vs 3 WR sets.
I'm hoping that both Singletary and Raye are more comfortable with Alex Smith's capabilities, now that he is in his second year in the same offense. If so, Jimmy Raye might just surprise us by his play calling. Vernon Davis is already the beneficiary of that creativity.

I'm also guessing that with two rookies on the offensive line, Raye called a lot of running plays up the middle to test the meddle of our two rookies. On a run play, the O line gets to attack the D, driving them off the line. But in pass blocking, you try to absorb the D's attack. I remember in the third pre-season game, we ran up the middle on 4th and 4 early in the second quarter. Of course, we were stuffed.

Lastly, Raye doesn't want to reveal all his playbook in the preseason, so it looked dull and prodding like 2009, Smith's first year in Raye's system.

i dont know. imagin this

Crabbs and Morgan as WR with VD at TE and D Walker as TE/FB, Westbrook as the RB.

Audible: all of them line up as WR's and freak out the D!!
The sad thing to me is when Norris is in there we all know what is going down. But this is the year (hopefully) where we have all of the tools. Man, come on Sunday!
Originally posted by Tman:

its called wildacat

or technically taser

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 8, 2010 at 20:11:43 ]
Share 49ersWebzone