LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 311 users in the forums

Who should start... Sopoaga or McDonald?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should start... Sopoaga or McDonald?

Apparently DC Greg Manusky says it's a close competition which is still undecided.
I can't believe this situation is even an issue for us! Damn... we've come a long way from Ericksontopia...
Sopoaga
Originally posted by PTulini:
Apparently DC Greg Manusky says it's a close competition which is still undecided.

Hey P, where did you read that?

I really like Ray Mac, but the rotation combo may be most effective. Also, I wonder when Ray Mac's contract is up? I know we signed Soap to a five year about two years ago.

One thing I would say is, every time Ray is in his presence is felt. He is so quick off the ball and has a high motor.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Ray Mac could hold up against the run I'd say him.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Ray Mac! I've watched Soap ever since we drafted him and i don't think he has EVER made one play...has he? someone correct me if i'm wrong! Or, is he just plugging up the middle so that our LB's can make plays and he's making them look good?
Originally posted by Chico:
Ray Mac! I've watched Soap ever since we drafted him and i don't think he has EVER made one play...has he? someone correct me if i'm wrong! Or, is he just plugging up the middle so that our LB's can make plays and he's making them look good?

His job isn't to make plays. It's to occupy blockers and have the LBs make the plays. He's a decent player, don't need him to be a star.
McD's for sure, he makes plays with the limited chances he is given. I just really curious to see how well he would do if he is given the oppurtunity to play more
Originally posted by Chico:

Soap makes tons of plays against the run, and a few against the pass.

McDonald makes tons of plays against the pass, and a few against the run.

I'm confused by this idea of "competition" between them. One is best at one particular thing, the other is best at another.
May I suggest that you add a "push" option.

This decision is way above my pay grade--great poll, though!
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Sep 1, 2010 at 10:05 PM ]

Icebox should start for sure.

~Ceadder
"Rotation" should be an option,

play to their strenghts, passing downs Ray anyting else Soap.
get a nice rotation going. soap is a good run stopper and raymac has got a motor.....im loving it
Yes, rotation is the way to go with Sop and RayMac. Sopoaga is more stout vs the run, yet RayMac is better at penetrating through the OL.
Share 49ersWebzone