LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 175 users in the forums

Alex Smith Extension?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith Extension?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Smith played well tonight. He played consistent. Nothing flashy, nothing outstanding, but good lunch bucket type plays that moved the sticks. He also showed good mobility and pocket presence, to my surprise. Davis showed both more upside than Smith will ever have, as well as wild inconsistencies in his play, but I think Sing was harder on him than he should have been. I don't think in watching the niners religiously for 28 years that I've ever seen a throw like the 62 yarder Davis threw tonight by a QB on our team.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Alex would need to perform well for at least 2 seasons before we can think of an extension.
I think he played quite well today, though it was just one series. It is even better that he did all this without VD, Gore and Crabtree.

Of course, the much better news is that our OLine played well against one of the best front 4 in the NFL.

This is Alex Smith's last year of contract. If the 49ers wanted to keep him, they would have to offer him an extension before the end of the season. Otherwise he would become an unrestricted free agent, and be free to sign with any team. There is no "at least 2 seasons" choice.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Alex would need to perform well for at least 2 seasons before we can think of an extension.
I think he played quite well today, though it was just one series. It is even better that he did all this without VD, Gore and Crabtree.

Of course, the much better news is that our OLine played well against one of the best front 4 in the NFL.

This is the last year of his contract so a decision would need to be reached sooner than two years.

Didn't see your post until I posted mine.
Smith to quarterbacking is like an ESL student to English.
its preseason, retards.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
its preseason, retards.

I say let him hit the FA market see if there are any offers. Someone wants him, he can go. I still see more upside in Davis than Smith. Smith has plateaued IMHO and will always play like he plays. Not championship caliber.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Lets just tamper with Tom Brady and offer him everything possible.

And Alex can stay if he wants to be on the practice squad.

Why the unwarranted insult? For the sake of conversation, lets say we land Brady next year in free agency. With him on the roster, perhaps it would give Smith a chance to fall into a backup role and potentially learn from a future HOFer. That did wonders for Steve Young, and it could do the trick for Smith as well. We don't know the future, it is important to remember that.

I won't have a problem with signing Brady, but:

The only reason why Smith will continue to be with the team next season will be a successful season. In that case, why do you even want Tom Brady? Signing Tom Brady would mean two things: breaking the bank for Brady, and Smith leaving the team. Even a moderately successful Smith would not want to stick around playing second fiddle to Brady. There are simply many teams out there needing a QB. With a successful season under his belt, confidence would no longer be a problem for Smith. All he would need to do is finding a team playing similar offensive scheme. The second time around shouldn't be as difficult.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Smith to quarterbacking is like an ESL student to English.

MaioccoCSN

Spoke to Tom Condon, Alex Smith's agent, who's making tour to visit clients. Smith-49ers negotiations won't take place until after season.

Originally posted by jreff22:
MaioccoCSN

Spoke to Tom Condon, Alex Smith's agent, who's making tour to visit clients. Smith-49ers negotiations won't take place until after season.

DAMN STRAIGHT!
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
MaioccoCSN

DAMN STRAIGHT!

I think the only team that might be interested would be the Chargers. You think anyone wants to wait another 4+ years for this slow offense learning muthaf**ka to finally cash in and play QB?
we dont need this thread till season ends

if he gets us to the playoffs with at least a 9-7 record sign him
if he doesnt

Originally posted by znk916:

Simple physics!!

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone