LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 135 users in the forums

Thats a great idea

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by valrod33:
If this isn't a direct shot across the bow and message to Alex Smith -- well -- it should be.

It means that his hold on the starting job isn't as safe as he might think. It means that the "powers that be" are having second thoughts. It means Singletary is kicking Alex squarely in the keester.

That message is: "Get it done -- or sit down."

Best news I've heard all day. I like the new attitude coming from Niner Central.

you are reaching

You think so? I don't.

Val -- you just don't hand out reps to your third stringer "just because." There's a reason for the madness.

Remember -- the Niners parted ways with Smith's biggest supporter in McClueless. They have no loyalty to Alex whatsoever.

To me? Raye's announcement means they're still not sold on Smith. I wouldn't rule out a trade either dude. Like -- bringing someone new in.

Nate will be taking some of Carrs snaps....Alex will get the lionshare.what part of this confuses you?
Originally posted by whiskywarlord:
If this isn't a direct shot across the bow and message to Alex Smith -- well -- it should be.

It means that his hold on the starting job isn't as safe as he might think. It means that the "powers that be" are having second thoughts. It means Singletary is kicking Alex squarely in the keester.

Best news I've heard all day. I like the new attitude coming from Niner Central.

i saw bird poo on the ground today in the shape of a dollar sign,am i going to win the lottery tonight? no, im probably just reading to much into some sh!t

Wow. What a great observation. What a grand addition you are to Niner Talk.

Gotta love them n00bs....
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by eddy99_1999:
mattbarrows

Jimmy Raye: team will experiment with getting Nate Davis into the game earlier in next two preseason games.

i love that idea now we will know what Nate and Dixon has to offer

And i agree with you ninernation Miacco is falling of since joining comcast

MattB is da man right now

Maybe they are getting him ready for when Alex crashes and burns.

When or If?

Nate Davis has shown too much ability to not consider him an option, regardless of whether or not Alex Smith crashes & burns. The poise, the decision-making, the scrambling to FIND OPEN RECEIVERS, the arm strength, the accuracy, etc. These are things that can't be taken away from a player regardless of the level of competition. You either have those things, or you don't. Nate Davis has them.

Unless Alex Smith starts playing like an all-pro, which, let's face it, isn't going to happen, Nate Davis will be the future.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

i saw bird poo on the ground today in the shape of a dollar sign,am i going to win the lottery tonight? no, im probably just reading to much into some sh!t

thank you, it was a good observation, i wouldnt say great, the bird poo was kinda far away, and at first i thought it was gum? dentine maybe?

enough with the compliments, your making me blush you sweet man

but lets talk football shall we

you are reaching

You think so? I don't.

Val -- you just don't hand out reps to your third stringer "just because." There's a reason for the madness.

Remember -- the Niners parted ways with Smith's biggest supporter in McClueless. They have no loyalty to Alex whatsoever.

To me? Raye's announcement means they're still not sold on Smith. I wouldn't rule out a trade either dude. Like -- bringing someone new in.

yeah, you are reaching

It could mean that they are not "sold" on David Carr being the backup, They said he would get reps earlier in the game, not that he would be starting

[ Edited by kidash on Aug 18, 2010 at 12:58:26 ]

i agree, theyre so cute and so misunderstood

yes im a noob, long time visitor fist time poster,blah blah blah

i must say i like your screen name mr.dean or can i call you fred?

you are reaching

You think so? I don't.

yeah, you are reaching

It could mean that they are not "sold" on David Carr being the backup, They said he would get reps earlier in the game, not that he would be starting

Quote:
Nate Davis
It needs to be pointed out right away that Nate Davis is not replacing/challenging Smith for the starting job. However, Raye said he'd like to see the heretofore No. 3 quarterback play against better competition and that he might enter the game earlier in the second and third preseason games. Said Raye: "The one ability that he has is highlighted in the parts of the game he plays in. Because if a guy is open, he'll hit him, he'll get the ball to them. He's another guy who's in a position where he needs to play early on against guys who have played in the NFL. He needs to play in that level. ... In the second and third exhibition game, we will experiment with some of that."

Here's my translation: The 49ers want to see whether Davis' preseason success is based only on instincts and inferior opponents or whether he can couple those instincts with a command of the offense against NFL-caliber players. So far, all of Davis' snaps going back to last season have been as the No. 3 quarterback.
link

Call me whatever you'd like...just try and add some value or humor to the proceedings here. Either one will do.

Call me whatever you'd like...just try and add some value or humor to the proceedings here. Either one will do.

you want humor or value? im your guy mr.dean
Originally posted by HessianDud:
it is a great idea. they have to start really evaluating davis to see if he's going to be worth a roster spot long term.

This is exactly where I'm at. I think the kid has show everything he possible can with the chances he's been given. He clearly has played better than any of our back ups in any preseason game. Either you have faith enough to move him up the roster inspite of his disability or kick his ass off the team.

In my mind, the deciding fact is his disability. After a year of coaching this kid, they should know if he is mentally capable of play QB in this league.

Does anyone know if they limited his playbook last week?
Finally, let's see what Nate's really made of.
Could you imagine if Nate really did turn out to be the future for this team? How many long before they write a book/movie about him?
David Carr needs to be worried.
Share 49ersWebzone