There are 283 users in the forums

Dixon back to 3rd string

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He should be 3rd string. Yes, he had a very good game against the Colts 2nd and 3rd stringers. But, he's still a rookie and has a lot to learn about the offense in general and blitz p/u specifically. Having another veteran like Westbrook can only help his learning curve. BW's a guy who's been to the dance...and is a winner. To learn behind two guys like Gore and Westbrook should be any rookie's dream.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by fister30:
I have a feeling he'll get a good amount of carries. Fresh legs all season for all 3 RB's!!

Yep, the giants used three RB's effectively a couple of seasons ago.

Cowboys do it too.

But what does his performance and Westbrook's arrival mean for B. Miller, M. Norris, M. Robinson, and Caulcrick.

2 of them will be gone. I'd guess Miller and Caulcrick

Which is unfortunate, because Miller is the only one I want to keep on the roster.

Miller isn't going any where in my opinion. By most reports Miller is having a great camp and could be a better blocker than Norris. Miller is also a heck of a special team’s player. Norris has no special team’s value.
Special team’s ability may dictate our backfield to look like this: Gore, Westbrook, Dixon, Miller, Robinson.

That leaves Norris, and Caulcrick on the outside looking in...

Unless we carry six RB’s, which in that case I would think Norris makes it, and they see Robinson solely as a special teamer.

I think we'd be better off with Miller making the squad than Norris but you have to take into account the Gore factor. He's really close with Moran Norris and requested the Niners resign him after he was cut from the worst team in the league. Norris is old, isn't that great of a blocker and is completely one dimensional. When he comes in the other team knows it's going to be a run.

I hope Gore can put his personal friendship with Norris behind and do what's best for the team which is to have Miller instead of Norris, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I don't see us keeping 6 backs when 2 of them are fullbacks and one of them is a RB who's only position is special teams ace.

I not sure how much stock I put in the "Norris will make the team because he is Gore's best friend" argument. If its a factor, I doubt its a big enough factor to keep him on the team unless he turns back into the bulldozer he was.

He hasn't been a bulldozer in a few years.

Dixon won't see any significant playing time until he proves he can pickup the blitz, he whiffed a few times. That being said he is a natural runner and a beast in the making.

The cowboys as mentioned before use a 3 headed monster, but in their first year Felix and Tashard rarely saw significant playing time. Felix was a beast in returning duties, and Choice saw his real first action last year.

And for those comparing Dixon to the other backs from the niners that led preseason, not even close. Dixon showed more in one game than any of those other backs. I'm not declaring him the next gore but he will be better than any other backup we've had since Barlow was a backup. (not barlow as a starter when he flopped) Im stoked about the Westbrook we have the change of pace back weve needed. And more than likely he will get injured (hopefully not a concussion) but that will give Dixon his chance to shine.

Also MRob and Caulcrick will get cut, Norris will get hurt giving way to Miller and once he is put on the IR list we will bring back MRob if he is still available.

[ Edited by 5280High on Aug 17, 2010 at 19:33:04 ]
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by fister30:
I have a feeling he'll get a good amount of carries. Fresh legs all season for all 3 RB's!!

Yep, the giants used three RB's effectively a couple of seasons ago.

Cowboys do it too.

But what does his performance and Westbrook's arrival mean for B. Miller, M. Norris, M. Robinson, and Caulcrick.

2 of them will be gone. I'd guess Miller and Caulcrick

Which is unfortunate, because Miller is the only one I want to keep on the roster.

Miller isn't going any where in my opinion. By most reports Miller is having a great camp and could be a better blocker than Norris. Miller is also a heck of a special team’s player. Norris has no special team’s value.
Special team’s ability may dictate our backfield to look like this: Gore, Westbrook, Dixon, Miller, Robinson.

That leaves Norris, and Caulcrick on the outside looking in...

Unless we carry six RB’s, which in that case I would think Norris makes it, and they see Robinson solely as a special teamer.

I think we'd be better off with Miller making the squad than Norris but you have to take into account the Gore factor. He's really close with Moran Norris and requested the Niners resign him after he was cut from the worst team in the league. Norris is old, isn't that great of a blocker and is completely one dimensional. When he comes in the other team knows it's going to be a run.

I hope Gore can put his personal friendship with Norris behind and do what's best for the team which is to have Miller instead of Norris, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. I don't see us keeping 6 backs when 2 of them are fullbacks and one of them is a RB who's only position is special teams ace.

I not sure how much stock I put in the "Norris will make the team because he is Gore's best friend" argument. If its a factor, I doubt its a big enough factor to keep him on the team unless he turns back into the bulldozer he was.

He hasn't been a bulldozer in a few years.

Bingo, which is why i think he atleast on the bubble
Share 49ersWebzone