LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 185 users in the forums

Solomon Wilcots Top 5 inside linebackers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Woodson did this list last summer and ranked Willis at #1 and Lewis at #2.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Take out Tatupu and insert David Harris at #5. Tatupu only played in 5 games last year. David Harris had 127 tackles, 5 1/2 sacks and 2 INT's in his first season with Rex Ryan.
  • treetrunks
  • Info N/A
When Willis can step it up a notch and play "QB" for our defense before the snap to get or guys set just like Lewis does, then I think he'll get much more respect and much more recognition from all the sportswriters and TV personalities.
Originally posted by treetrunks:
When Willis can step it up a notch and play "QB" for our defense before the snap to get or guys set just like Lewis does, then I think he'll get much more respect and much more recognition from all the sportswriters and TV personalities.

I wish our D was a tiny bit more solid, to the point that willis would be free to blitz more.

He would be a nasty blitzer.
Originally posted by pelos21:
You know Beason was pissed.

Might be a little tougher for Beason this year without Peppers in front of him.

Ray Lewis = The Gene Simmons of football

his reputation has been helped as much as anyone by his constant self-promotion.

Willis should have been no. 1 on that list

IMO
Wow, no Valrod comment yet??

"But, but.... but, he's a Cowboy's fan cause his car is blue"

Originally posted by HomerJ:
Ray Lewis = The Gene Simmons of football

his reputation has been helped as much as anyone by his constant self-promotion.

Willis should have been no. 1 on that list

IMO

Since 1999 Baltimore has finished in the top 6 defenses for all but one season. Ray Lewis is the undisputed leader of that defense. When Patrick leads us to one season like that he'll get his due.
I dont think you can be considered the greatest inside LB when your team hasn't even SNIFFED the playoffs. IMO, saying Willis is the best inside LB is like saying the best QB is the one that threw for the most yards. No, the object is to win not gather individual stats. I'm a huge Willis supporter, but I'm not going to cast my vote in his favore until we start going deep into the playoffs. Lewis was the best defensive player on one of the best defensive teams of all time. They won a Superbowl inspite of their offense. It's hard for me to imagine Willis having the same impact as Ray Ray if we went back to the 99 season.

That brings me to one other point. I'm glad we extended Willis, but like Wilcots said on another show (about a diffrent team), all these guys want these big contracts and they haven't even proven they can win anything yet. Lawson, Franklin, Goldson all want to be paid like they were part of a championship team when they haven't even taken us to a playoff. All I'm saying is can we commit big money to these guys when we aren't even sure we got the winning formula (chemistry).
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM ]

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Take out Tatupu and insert David Harris at #5. Tatupu only played in 5 games last year. David Harris had 127 tackles, 5 1/2 sacks and 2 INT's in his first season with Rex Ryan.

I would put London Fletcher in over both of them The guy just doesn't get the respect he should but he's a beast.

And I have no problem putting Ray Ray over Willis.
I've always liked this play..

We all know what this means...

P-Will needs to murder someone within the year to get Lewis-like praise
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

We are talking football not personal life. Lewis didn't murder anyone, he was with the wrong kind of people in the hood. Depending where you are from it can happen much easier than you think. Since that time, Ray Ray has really tried to make a positive impact in his community and even works alot with the officers.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

cmon man dont be a homer as of now ray lewis is the best ILB in the nfl willis is up there but not there yet
Share 49ersWebzone