There are 192 users in the forums

Just watched 3 full games with Taylor Mays (and 1 with Navorro Bowman)...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Taylor Mays vows to be the "biggest 2nd round steal ever".
http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/archives/208149.asp?

WOW I love all the Seasquak fans commments....they totally have their goggles on this morning!!!!!!!!!! I posted something on there. LOL They compare Golden Tate to TO!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!
Is he the next Mike Rumph?
Originally posted by rigs49:
Is he the next Mike Rumph?

Or maybe the next Zack Bronson?
I love the Mays article by Silver.
We know that Mays is fast, and big. We don't know if his coverage skills are trainable. We do get feedback that he wants to be coachable. Now the great question is whether J. Lynn, Ronnie Lott, and Singletary can develop enough skills that he can be useful in our defense. We know that Lewis is not a great coverage safety so in all likelihood Mays can take Lewis' spot if necessary. It would certainly be nice if Mays had some hidden coverage skills that could be trained and that he turns out to be a all around safety. Time will tell.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
And I see Navorro Bowman as Jamie Winborn 2.0. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not really because Jamie Winborn was very fast and could go after the quarterback.
I'm excited about both these picks. This could be a great draft class in 2-3 years. Just gotta figure out where these guys fit in the best. The ceiling on our first four picks is incredible.
bowman is an absolute beast
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and I understand now why NFL teams are so perplexed by him.

The games I watched...

2010 Senior Bowl
USC@Oregon from last year
Rose Bowl-USC VS. Penn State 2009 (Bowl Game after 2008 season)

This is what I saw.

His athletic ability is real. You can see it. He doesn't look like he's moving very fast, but he is. He closes in a hurry.

He has a SERIOUS problem wrapping up. He just keeps throwing that should into a guy and only seems to use his arms when the guy is already past him and he's in pursuit.

As hard as he hits at times, he seems real tentative at others. If he's got a chance at a knockout shot, he'll take it, but very often he doesn't seem to put his nose into the action. For that reason, I'm now a little leary of playing him alot in the box. He won't play like a linebacker.

The thing that suprised me the most tho makes me kinda buy into what he said about Carroll at USC. I don't think he was used correctly. He was almost ALWAYS played 20 yards off the LOS and very often didn't even appear in the picture because he was so far away from the play. It could be that he lacks insticts, but it could also be that he was used incorrectly and wasn't put in the proper position to make plays.

It kinda maddening watching him. On one play, he looks like the second coming of Sean Taylor. On the next he looks like Dana Hall.

I am a bit more convinced now that he can be a deep coverage safety now, but a little less convinced he'll play alot in the box. I believe the niners that they will give him a chance to do both.

As I mentioned before, one of the games was a Penn State-USC game so I also got to watch Navorro Bowman. I like him. ;-) He's not real big and he's not real fast, but he is very quick, he sheds blockers well, he moves through traffic well and he makes the play. He appears very fast in short areas, but if he has to run a long way, he's kinda exposed.

I think he looks great for a 3rd rounder.

It's so weird that you rarely see him play anymore
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

The games I watched...

2010 Senior Bowl

This is what I saw.

His athletic ability is real. You can see it. He doesn't look like he's moving very fast, but he is. He closes in a hurry.

He has a SERIOUS problem wrapping up. He just keeps throwing that should into a guy and only seems to use his arms when the guy is already past him and he's in pursuit.

As hard as he hits at times, he seems real tentative at others. If he's got a chance at a knockout shot, he'll take it, but very often he doesn't seem to put his nose into the action. For that reason, I'm now a little leary of playing him alot in the box. He won't play like a linebacker.

The thing that suprised me the most tho makes me kinda buy into what he said about Carroll at USC. I don't think he was used correctly. He was almost ALWAYS played 20 yards off the LOS and very often didn't even appear in the picture because he was so far away from the play. It could be that he lacks insticts, but it could also be that he was used incorrectly and wasn't put in the proper position to make plays.

It kinda maddening watching him. On one play, he looks like the second coming of Sean Taylor. On the next he looks like Dana Hall.

I am a bit more convinced now that he can be a deep coverage safety now, but a little less convinced he'll play alot in the box. I believe the niners that they will give him a chance to do both.

As I mentioned before, one of the games was a Penn State-USC game so I also got to watch Navorro Bowman. I like him. ;-) He's not real big and he's not real fast, but he is very quick, he sheds blockers well, he moves through traffic well and he makes the play. He appears very fast in short areas, but if he has to run a long way, he's kinda exposed.

?

The games I watched...

2010 Senior Bowl

This is what I saw.

?

Originally posted by jdt84_2:

The games I watched...

2010 Senior Bowl

This is what I saw.

?

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
And I see Navorro Bowman as Jamie Winborn 2.0. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I know he was a zone favourite, but none of the seven NFL teams he has played for so far seem to agree.
Pete Carrol's coaching ability is over rated.

The key with Mays right now is that he's willing to learn.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Taylor Mays will be successful

Man, he is so much bigger than Sing. I can't believe he's a safety.
Share 49ersWebzone