LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 187 users in the forums

Special on 49ers 1989 Season is on NFLN

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I really wish I had been old enough to see Montana with the 9ers. It seems like he bled clutchness.
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
I really wish I had been old enough to see Montana with the 9ers. It seems like he bled clutchness.

went to every home game that year
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

That must have been awesome to see them live as a juggernaut. I'm jealous, this year will be the first 49er game I ever go to.
Other than the NFC Championship games, I always felt we were going to win. No matter what the other team did we were going to end the game on top. Regarding the NFC Championship games we lost, the teams we lost against seemed to always have to play a perfect games and have the refs on their side to beat us.
Montana, Lott, Craig, Rice and the 1986 draft class simply dominated on both sides of the ball like no other Niner team. They were special.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on May 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM ]
Haha, Matt "I've never seen a receiver I didn't wanna draft" Millen was one of our linebackers?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Montana, Rice, Lott and the 1986 draft class simply dominated on both sides of the ball like no other Niner team. They were special.

That 1989 team defined/originated the label Tecmo Super Bowl Roster, cause we were JUST the complete package.

Talented/HOF coaching staff, HOF QB, HOF backup QB, talented WR core/depth, amazing TE, awesome line, dominant pass-rushing core, productive LB unit, and a backfield opposing WRs feared for their lives.

It's almost hard to believe a team with that much combined talent/depth once existed within the NFL (cause there's no way in hell a 'cap' would have been able to retain all that talent within today's standards, from 1987-1991).
Wasn't it the 88 season that was on?
The 1988 season was on before, and it's coming on again after.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
That was greatness.

I really miss those days.

Originally posted by susweel:
That was greatness.

I really miss those days.

I wish I was old enough to of enjoyed that greatness. I was 13 when we won the last Bowch and thats when I started liking the team. Young was my favorite player. I remember trying real hard to learn the names of each player on the team. Ever since then my love for this team just grew and grew. Go Niners!!!!
ahh, the 89 NFC Championship with the famous phantom sack of Chris, er, I mean Jim Everett.

Ironically, it was the same type of offense (both Norv Tuner and Ernie Zampese were Rams offensive coaches in that game) that would go on to beat the 49ers three years later, when the cowboys implemented it. Of course the deciding factor for that was the defense -- the 49ers' was aging (plus Lott was gone) and the cowboys had Haley.
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
ahh, the 89 NFC Championship with the famous phantom sack of Chris, er, I mean Jim Everett.

Ironically, it was the same type of offense (both Norv Tuner and Ernie Zampese were Rams offensive coaches in that game) that would go on to beat the 49ers three years later, when the cowboys implemented it. Of course the deciding factor for that was the defense -- the 49ers' was aging (plus Lott was gone) and the cowboys had Haley.

Haley put them over the top.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Man that must have been great....I wish we had a QB that was half as good as Joe Montana.

Look at the bright side. Being a young guy at least you got to live to see Alex Smith play. Think of all the poor souls that will never experience that joy!
Share 49ersWebzone