There are 177 users in the forums

Crabtree/Hill Starting WR's?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Jason Hill is better than Morgan.

No s**t, Morgan is f**king slow as f**k, and is horrible at getting open down-field, just watch; Hill will get f**ked over once again by Jackoff-Sullivan when another free-agent scrub acquisition that can't catch will take his 'slot' spot again.

Seriously, why does our coaching staff hate Jason Hill so much? -All this guy does is perform and he gets ousted year-to-year by washed-up/injury-prone cum dumpsters!

Don't hold back Snake...tell how you really feel...... That said, I'd also like to see the Niners give Hill a real chance at some playing time. They might have a real surprise on their hands if they do...

Yea I think if hill stays healthy he will definitely beat out Morgan and he should have a shot at being the number 2 WR because of coach sing saying that there is always competetion. I'd like to see he become a solid player
How it should be.

1) VD - he is the #1 WR even though he is a TE. No question about it even though he doesn't play WR.
2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

How it will be with Singletary.

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
4) Ginn - based on speed alone
5) Hill

Hill is in the Singletary doghouse but he is faster and has better hands than Morgan. He's also the more natural route runner. The only thing I can think of with Morgan is he is a better blocker and since Singletary likes to run maybe that's why he likes Morgan.

i agree with your depth chart but i dont think it would be too different from that. if hill is better he will play, he needs to stay healthy tho. if hes obviously beating out morgan they cant ignore that. how many years does hill have left on contract? shopuld be almost up if im not mistaken
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
How it should be.

1) VD - he is the #1 WR even though he is a TE. No question about it even though he doesn't play WR.
2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

Hill is in the Singletary doghouse but he is faster and has better hands than Morgan. He's also the more natural route runner. The only thing I can think of with Morgan is he is a better blocker and since Singletary likes to run maybe that's why he likes Morgan.

i agree with your depth chart but i dont think it would be too different from that. if hill is better he will play, he needs to stay healthy tho. if hes obviously beating out morgan they cant ignore that. how many years does hill have left on contract? shopuld be almost up if im not mistaken

He just needs to stay healthy, get out of the Singletary dog house and be given a shot. If he does there is no doubt IMO he is better than Morgan. Maybe not as a blocker and maybe that's what Singletary is seeing. But I honestly can't believe anybody with eyes can believe Morgan is better than Hill as a pure WR (not counting blocking).
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

He just needs to stay healthy, get out of the Singletary dog house and be given a shot. If he does there is no doubt IMO he is better than Morgan. Maybe not as a blocker and maybe that's what Singletary is seeing. But I honestly can't believe anybody with eyes can believe Morgan is better than Hill as a pure WR (not counting blocking).

thats what im sayin, morgan showed some flashes but hes been really inconsistent. whenever Hill gets an opportunity in a game he shows up. him and crabs would be a great combo on the edges with morgan in the slot
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

Agree there. Hill needs to be healthy and beat out Jones. Hopefully they activate him for games this year
Originally posted by teeohh:
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

Agree there. Hill needs to be healthy and beat out Jones. Hopefully they activate him for games this year

Yeah I can't believe they don't activate the guy. Some games he's gotten in he gets like 2 TD's.
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

Not sure Hill is in the doghouse but i agree with everything else you said here! Hill is a better receiver than Morgan..
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

thats what im sayin, morgan showed some flashes but hes been really inconsistent. whenever Hill gets an opportunity in a game he shows up. him and crabs would be a great combo on the edges with morgan in the slot

Kyle Williams is our best slot guy,peep the film on this guy,he's a Wes`Welker clone! It's just a matter of time...If the staff has the balls to play the best players..
Originally posted by Mister49:
How it should be.

2) Crabtree
3) Hill
4) Morgan
5) Ginn - mostly KR / PR

1) VD
2) Crabtree
3) Morgan...
5) Hill

Kyle Williams is our best slot guy,peep the film on this guy,he's a Wes`Welker clone! It's just a matter of time...If the staff has the balls to play the best players..

I like Kyle Williams a lot and he may have a great future as a Wes Welker type. And I would like to see him get playing time.

But ahead of who? Jason Hill? Ted Ginn? If history has taught us one thing it's that Singletary doesn't often like to play a late round rookie draft choice.

Kyle Williams is very quick, fast and has great hands and runs good routes. He can play slot real well in the NFL someday. But it's going to be tough for him to move up the depth chart. Furthermore we don't know how he will translate to the NFL yet. The skills don't always translate. I hope they do and believe they can in his case.

Kyle Williams is very quick, fast and has great hands and runs good routes. He can play slot real well in the NFL someday. But it's going to be tough for him to move up the depth chart. Furthermore we don't know how he will translate to the NFL yet. The skills don't always translate. I hope they do and believe they can in his case.

Slot receiver is a specialized position and has its own depth chart. Contrary to several posts above, Morgan doesn't have slot receiver skills or intangibles and isn't on that chart. Nor do I think is Ginn. Crabtree is clearly going to play flanker or SE, depending. I'm not sure where Jones fits, but I can't project him in the slot, either. So that leaves Hill and Williams fighting it out for those few occasions when the Niners will run a slot formation, and honestly I can't predict who will get more touches there by the end of the season. It could very well come down to an injury or two.

See also: Kyle Williams' Very Good Day
[ Edited by 49erThrowback on May 20, 2010 at 5:41 AM ]

Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by zozell:
OTA Observations: Good day for Jason Hill

First Rounders on 2nd Team
Briefly: Quarterback Alex Smith continues to show great command of the offense, but it's receivers Jason Hill and Michael Crabtree who continue to make him look good, with their quick hands in full-stride catches....

Dude this describes Jason Hills play to the T. I know it's only OTA's but I'm hearing J Hills name alot more than Morgan, Jones. Man, I know alot of us have mixed feelings about Jason Hill but I love the kid and would like to see him unseat Morgan as the #2. I think he deserves it. He shows up under pressure. He runs crisp clean routes. He has better hands than Morgan (2nd best hands on the team IMO). I really hope this kid gets his shot at the starting lineup, or at least more PT.

This is not a thread to bash Morgan because I like him alot too. I just think Hill is more hungry and has alot to bring to the table. I mean that last series in the Rams game 2 seasons ago was all J Hill. He looked like Isaac Bruce out there. The guy can play WR. Give him a shot right?

I just think a Crabtree/Hill tandem sounds more dynamic and scary than a Crabtree/"Slow ass duck dropping getting caught from behind ass" Morgan tandem

So......this isn't a Morgan bashing thread? Just askin.

Nope Just sayin...
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Nah. But I think Hill would be a good third WR.

This.

Also, IMO, our 3WR sets should be WR1 = Crabtree, WR2 = Morgan, Slot = Hill. Our 4WR set should have Jones on the weakside. If Ginn improves his hands and route running then he should compete with Jones for the 4th WR spot.
  • evil
  • Veteran

He has dressed for 32 games and has 40 career catches. Morgan has shown a lot more in his 2 years than Hill has in his 3 years. You are also forgetting that Hills limited opportunities have come when he is the 3rd or 4th receiver on the field, whereas Morgan albeit a tad inconsistent, has at least made plays in 2 wide sets.

There is no real shred of evidence that Hill would make a better number 2. Hill for the most part has himself to blame for his lack of opportunities as well. (Same guy who claims Bruce never spoke to him, yet Morgan and Crabtree claimed Bruce was a mentor to them, and you can't blame the coaching staff for Hill's hampering groin and hamstring injuries)

Yeah I can't believe they don't activate the guy. Some games he's gotten in he gets like 2 TD's.

1 game in 3 years where he had 2 TD's in the same game.

C'mon Man!

I agree with most of you that Jason Hill is a better receiver than Josh Morgan. Singletary will likely play Morgan at #2 so he can block. Remember, singletary wants to win games with scores like 14-10 or 10-6.

One problem is, when the Niners put 4 receivers on the field, often it is 2 WRs and 2 TEs. That means, only 1 of the receivers is fast....Vernon Davis. I think a 4th receiver on the field needs to be a WR.... Hill, Ginn, or Jones.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

He has dressed for 32 games and has 40 career catches. Morgan has shown a lot more in his 2 years than Hill has in his 3 years. You are also forgetting that Hills limited opportunities have come when he is the 3rd or 4th receiver on the field, whereas Morgan albeit a tad inconsistent, has at least made plays in 2 wide sets.

There is no real shred of evidence that Hill would make a better number 2. Hill for the most part has himself to blame for his lack of opportunities as well. (Same guy who claims Bruce never spoke to him, yet Morgan and Crabtree claimed Bruce was a mentor to them, and you can't blame the coaching staff for Hill's hampering groin and hamstring injuries)

1 game in 3 years where he had 2 TD's in the same game.

C'mon Man!

i didnt say morgan was horrible or anything dude im just sayin i think Hill is a better receiver. and how many times in the past few years has our QB had the time to go through his progressions to find the 3rd receiver? its pretty much 1st option and 2nd option if he gets that far then he has to run for his life
Share 49ersWebzone