LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 194 users in the forums

Maiocco: Why the 49ers Can't promote Trent Baalke to GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thanks for posting dude but next time don't post the whole article. Just post some of it and summarize it a bit. MM need hits on his blog and you pretty much just took his whole article.
Originally posted by nothing03:
Thanks for posting dude but next time don't post the whole article. Just post some of it and summarize it a bit. MM need hits on his blog and you pretty much just took his whole article.

My bad, should of known better
cant they get around it by just interviewing paraag?
Originally posted by nothing03:

Fixed
Originally posted by miked1978:
Rooney rule is stupid. Don't need it in this day and age.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Rooney rule, no problem, get Ozzie Newsome in here right now!!!
I'm sorry but this "Rooney Rule" is BUSH LEAGUE.

I mean that's like telling a company they cannot promote from within because the economy sucks, so they have to interview at least one candidate from the outside.

Newsflash NFL...

That only promotes disingenuous interviewing. Why insult the intelligence of the candidates if you already KNOW who you're going to go with?

Why waste their time as well as your own by going through this dog and pony show?

Pathetic.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I'm sorry but this "Rooney Rule" is BUSH LEAGUE.

I mean that's like telling a company they cannot promote from within because the economy sucks, so they have to interview at least one candidate from the outside.

Newsflash NFL...

That only promotes disingenuous interviewing. Why insult the intelligence of the candidates if you already KNOW who you're going to go with?

Why waste their time as well as your own by going through this dog and pony show?

Pathetic.

~Ceadder

Sorry Cedar you guys are off base here.
1. the rooney rule came into play in 03
There was a reason the rule came up. Minorities were having a serious problem getting jobs esp at the top positions. i.e HC
Because of that Rule we got the chance to see 2 Minorities in the SB ever.
2. the Good ol' boy network by many of the owners in the past is the reason for the Dog and pony show

Yeah it make for a little more work on the teams part but it help. it gives folks the chance to get their names out.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

Agree. I'm confused. If we are truly worried about discrimination, why are there no chinese head coaches? Why no mexican front office people? Why no Russians who are GMs? Why is there not a single white cornerback? It's ludicrous. Best person for the job, just like the field. The rooney rule is insulting
Originally posted by Nuns:

Agree. I'm confused. If we are truly worried about discrimination, why are there no chinese head coaches? Why no mexican front office people? Why no Russians who are GMs? Why is there not a single white cornerback? It's ludicrous. Best person for the job, just like the field. The rooney rule is insulting

Hey McFly. The Rooney rule is for ALL minorities. Its funny that as sonn as the rooney rule was made in 03, more minorities won the Gig game then at any time in history.

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Hey McFly. The Rooney rule is for ALL minorities. Its funny that as sonn as the rooney rule was made in 03, more minorities won the Gig game then at any time in history.

I'm still confused. I don't know a single Mexican head coach. How does that satisfy discrimination? Not a lot of chinese front office people, can't name a single one myself. You'll have to help me out here. Why is it black only? Sounds discriminating. I've yet to see an Australian QB. It's ridiculous. Best person for the job, no race/background/ancestry/country should matter. On the field or in the front office.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

I'm still confused. I don't know a single Mexican head coach. How does that satisfy discrimination? Not a lot of chinese front office people, can't name a single one myself. You'll have to help me out here. Why is it black only? Sounds discriminating. I've yet to see an Australian QB. It's ridiculous. Best person for the job, no race/background/ancestry/country should matter. On the field or in the front office.

THE RULE IS NOT BLACK ONLY.The rule was created to all minorities an chance. They could go and interview any non white to satisfy the rule. But the person just has to be qualified. not just any schmo off the streets. Before the rule there were no minorities in position of power you had 2 HC's and just as many DC's and OC's you have a league where more that 75% of it is Black but none in power. You havent seen an Australian QB cuz he rater play Rugby or something. I agree best person for the job, but too many times the best person was getting passed by because of his color.
A lil more insite to the Rule

Although 70 percent of the NFL's players were black, only 28 percent of the assistant coaches and 6 percent of the head coaches were African-Americans.

In 2003, Steelers owner Dan Rooney chaired a committee to study the issue. The result was "The Rooney Rule." Teams were required to interview at least one minority candidate when filling a head coaching position -- or be fined.

"There were some people who said, 'I want to hire whoever I want to hire. You can't be telling us who to hire.' That is your decision," Rooney said. "But we say you must give an opportunity to an African-American or a minority.

"That sort of took hold. And when we went through that, it worked."

Last fall, there were a record seven black head coaches in the league. With the offseason firing of Art Shell by the Raiders and Dennis Green by the Cardinals, that number dropped to five. Now, there are six.

Rooney recently announced the hiring of Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34.

Thanks to Rooney Rule
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I personally like the 3 headed monster of Baalke, Paraag and Tom Gamble. I think it could continue to work well.

Sometimes you get a big name GM and he has an ego and becomes power hungry and has problems with the coach, owner, etc, etc. This way everyone has a job and they can concentrate on what each guy does well, like Paraag with the contracts and #'s

I don't know why the Rooney Rule should even apply to the 9ers (of course, it's league wide)

Walsh pioneered the minority coaching program and never cared about the color of your skin, only the content of your playbook

The Genius was way ahead of his time.

Look at the 1981 Super Bowl team pic. Even then, lots of black coaches.

We have a black head coach for pete's sake.

We should be able to just hire from within. I get the reason for the rule but it does create these sham interviews, like Sing went on for several years.
Share 49ersWebzone