Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 520 users in the forums

Path to the Draft: 49ers Review (04/26/10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online


[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Apr 27, 2010 at 02:36:22 ]
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

so what happened to the video? pretty cool he was wearin the SF hat. goin to start seeing a lot of people becoming fans soon. I hope a bandwagon forms....means we are actually good again...lol
Great stuff to hear from all the analysts.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
Aren't you guys excited? We're going to be good again.
Its back on if you guys want to watch it. It will be on next!
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,292
I love our draft! I just don't know much Anthony Davis? He can't be worse than what we have.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Aren't you guys excited? We're going to be good again.

3 years running. Don't tell me, show me.
Well, many fans have good reason to be skeptical, in that we have been outbid, outdrafted, outcoached, out GMed,outplayed, overly optimistic, each and every yr since mooch left...yorks took over, and we started the amazing ship without a rudder voyage. Fast forward to two weeks ago and:

-got a really good backup qb, much better talent than S.Hill

-got a pair of true starters on OL, one of which would have gone to Fins if baalke hadn't moved up 2 slots. Remember, this is a team that lost D'brickshaw to Jets and the Hawk to GB...in each case by one slot, while waiting for each player to "come" or fall to us. Not this time. Baalke moved on AD and now he is our starter, not Miami's.

-got an outstanding KR/PR for a FIFTH, for heaven's sakes. Talk about a deal...and that assumes he can't play WR, which i think we will see is a myth.

-baalke had the stones to take what we needed at OG, Iupati, at #17, after taking AD 6 picks earlier. No way that our former draft crew would have done that.

-then landed a safety, Mays, whose highlight hits remind me a lot of...well, Lott. I think he needs a big dose of bigMike, but nonetheless, we got a really talented player in 2nd, a starter.

-from then on i can't say much because of unfamiliarity with Bowman and all. We did, however, get some bodies for OLB, RB backups, receiver, TE. If any of these guys hit, this will be one fabulous draft plus whatever we picked up after 3rd rd. I can't remember a draft/FA where we did this well since Walsh. Yes, we didn't get a CB nor NT/DT, but jeez, on paper we look to be miles better.

-lastly, the draft is over but FA isn't, and there may be another starter out there in Adalius(remember him?), Faneca, Henderson(think i got that right), plus several others.

No matter how one slices it, we done good in this FA/draft, and not coincidentally, we had a new draft brain trust on board(even tho no GM), and by any measure, this team is a whale of a lot better post draft than we were beforehand. That to me, anyway, is a huge measure of success.

A final thot: Scot was a good evaluator of talent, but seemed to be lacking in team building. Baalke knows how to assemble a team, starting with 2 OLs in first rd, only the 3rd time in history that has been done. And, it was the right thing to do...we will finally able to have a very good OL, the key to any successful team.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Yo...I was just about to make my own thread for a similar topic but decided to put here instead.

i just found this vid for post draft grades on nfl.com and they (Woodson and some others) are grading us out. They give us an A or A- behind the Seahawks A+(they did have a decent draft) but check their comments at the end. Giving our Niners all the love for the division title

http://www.nfl.com/videos/san-francisco-49ers/09000d5d817d089b/NFC-West-draft-grades

i agree with rod, our secondary is not on the same level with our front. if theres something that worries about our d is our pass coverage and missing that pass rusher whos a guarantee to wreck havoc

yes but we have a 3 man rotation at safety that will wreak havoc on all receivers.

I think the prevailing defensive philosophy is to 'bring the pain' . . . stuff the run, rush the pass and make sure anybody who catches a ball between the numbers gets a free trip to the woodshed.

It probably means a lot of cover-2 / cover-3 since we lack a 'shut down' CB, but deep cover schemes typically produce more INT's if they are paired with QB pressure.
Allow me to dissect your post a bit :)

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, many fans have good reason to be skeptical, in that we have been outbid, outdrafted, outcoached, out GMed,outplayed, overly optimistic, each and every yr since mooch left...yorks took over, and we started the amazing ship without a rudder voyage. Fast forward to two weeks ago and:

-got a really good backup qb, much better talent than S.Hill
I disagree here. The addition of Carr and the release of Hill was perplexing to me.
The only reason to go out and get a new QB is if we have long range plans for him.
I don't think Carr is the answer. I think Carr is meant to be a stop-gap for a year or so and if that's the case, why not just keep Hill? Hill already proved to be an adequate backup plus he knows the system and the players. This move was basically a wash for us and really didnt' make much sense, imo.

Quote:

-got a pair of true starters on OL, one of which would have gone to Fins if baalke hadn't moved up 2 slots. Remember, this is a team that lost D'brickshaw to Jets and the Hawk to GB...in each case by one slot, while waiting for each player to "come" or fall to us. Not this time. Baalke moved on AD and now he is our starter, not Miami's.
I don't think he would've gone to the Fins. I think the fear they had was centered around another team towards the back of the 1st round moving into the 11 or 12 spot and grabbing him.
Regardless though, I like the pickup. Although I think I like the Liupati pick even more...

Quote:

-got an outstanding KR/PR for a FIFTH, for heaven's sakes. Talk about a deal...and that assumes he can't play WR, which i think we will see is a myth.
Meh...you're overstating his value a bit here. He has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't been consistently good and has had fumble issues which doesn't equate to "outstanding" in my book. He certainly has potential though and I agree that a fifth round pick was a bargain.
Not sure what his impact will be in the recieving game though. Slot reciever at best probably but with DBs less focused on him he might get a chance to shine. We'll see.

Quote:

-baalke had the stones to take what we needed at OG, Iupati, at #17, after taking AD 6 picks earlier. No way that our former draft crew would have done that.
I agree here. It definitely takes balls to go O-lineman with back-to-back first round picks and while it's not sexy, it shows that the team is building from the inside-out which, coincidentally, is how most great teams are started.

Quote:

-then landed a safety, Mays, whose highlight hits remind me a lot of...well, Lott. I think he needs a big dose of bigMike, but nonetheless, we got a really talented player in 2nd, a starter.
Yup, great grab by us. Plus he has a chip on his shoulder so I'm looking forward to his first pick-6 against the Hawks...followed shortly by his first 15 yard unsporstmanlike conduct penalty to be assessed on the kickoff for taunting Carrol along the Seahawks sideline :)

Quote:

-from then on i can't say much because of unfamiliarity with Bowman and all. We did, however, get some bodies for OLB, RB backups, receiver, TE. If any of these guys hit, this will be one fabulous draft plus whatever we picked up after 3rd rd. I can't remember a draft/FA where we did this well since Walsh. Yes, we didn't get a CB nor NT/DT, but jeez, on paper we look to be miles better.
I have pretty low expectations from these guys. Nothing wrong with using late picks on "warm bodies" and that's likely what they will amount to.
Thanks for the post. I haven't seen any reputable commentaries that gave us beow an "A".
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Allow me to dissect your post a bit :)

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, many fans have good reason to be skeptical, in that we have been outbid, outdrafted, outcoached, out GMed,outplayed, overly optimistic, each and every yr since mooch left...yorks took over, and we started the amazing ship without a rudder voyage. Fast forward to two weeks ago and:

-got a really good backup qb, much better talent than S.Hill
I disagree here. The addition of Carr and the release of Hill was perplexing to me.
The only reason to go out and get a new QB is if we have long range plans for him.
I don't think Carr is the answer. I think Carr is meant to be a stop-gap for a year or so and if that's the case, why not just keep Hill? Hill already proved to be an adequate backup plus he knows the system and the players. This move was basically a wash for us and really didnt' make much sense, imo.

Quote:

-got a pair of true starters on OL, one of which would have gone to Fins if baalke hadn't moved up 2 slots. Remember, this is a team that lost D'brickshaw to Jets and the Hawk to GB...in each case by one slot, while waiting for each player to "come" or fall to us. Not this time. Baalke moved on AD and now he is our starter, not Miami's.
I don't think he would've gone to the Fins. I think the fear they had was centered around another team towards the back of the 1st round moving into the 11 or 12 spot and grabbing him.
Regardless though, I like the pickup. Although I think I like the Liupati pick even more...

Quote:

-got an outstanding KR/PR for a FIFTH, for heaven's sakes. Talk about a deal...and that assumes he can't play WR, which i think we will see is a myth.
Meh...you're overstating his value a bit here. He has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't been consistently good and has had fumble issues which doesn't equate to "outstanding" in my book. He certainly has potential though and I agree that a fifth round pick was a bargain.
Not sure what his impact will be in the recieving game though. Slot reciever at best probably but with DBs less focused on him he might get a chance to shine. We'll see.

Quote:

-baalke had the stones to take what we needed at OG, Iupati, at #17, after taking AD 6 picks earlier. No way that our former draft crew would have done that.
I agree here. It definitely takes balls to go O-lineman with back-to-back first round picks and while it's not sexy, it shows that the team is building from the inside-out which, coincidentally, is how most great teams are started.

Quote:

-then landed a safety, Mays, whose highlight hits remind me a lot of...well, Lott. I think he needs a big dose of bigMike, but nonetheless, we got a really talented player in 2nd, a starter.
Yup, great grab by us. Plus he has a chip on his shoulder so I'm looking forward to his first pick-6 against the Hawks...followed shortly by his first 15 yard unsporstmanlike conduct penalty to be assessed on the kickoff for taunting Carrol along the Seahawks sideline :)

Quote:

-from then on i can't say much because of unfamiliarity with Bowman and all. We did, however, get some bodies for OLB, RB backups, receiver, TE. If any of these guys hit, this will be one fabulous draft plus whatever we picked up after 3rd rd. I can't remember a draft/FA where we did this well since Walsh. Yes, we didn't get a CB nor NT/DT, but jeez, on paper we look to be miles better.
I have pretty low expectations from these guys. Nothing wrong with using late picks on "warm bodies" and that's likely what they will amount to.

Yeah, I miss Shaun too. Something tells me there's more to this story than we know now, and we may never know what really caused it. Carr has a ways to go to impress anybody...

Green Bay obviously wanted a tackle and may have been trying to trade up to get Davis. Who cares. As 'Doc says, we've been aced out before; Singletary wanted Davis and when he got by Buffalo they set up the trade to insure they'd get him. No guarantee that he'd have fallen to them, so it's nice to see Baalke/Sing being proactive.

Jury's out on Mays and Bowman. They're going to have to earn everything they get. Totally up to them...they'll get their opportunities and they'll either win jobs, or not.

Ginn...another "show me" situation. I hope he excels and takes the KR job by storm, but LeRoy Vann is going to be returning punts for the 49ers this year IMHO.

Rookie minicamp tomorrow. Can't wait.
Nothing about Bowman huh...I'm pretty excited about his potential!
The niners and the rest of the league knew the blue print to beat s. hill was out. pressure him and he was not able to throw deep or intermidiate routs for that matter. The proof was the 7th round pick for him tells you what the league thought of him.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Originally posted by scopur49er:
Allow me to dissect your post a bit :)

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, many fans have good reason to be skeptical, in that we have been outbid, outdrafted, outcoached, out GMed,outplayed, overly optimistic, each and every yr since mooch left...yorks took over, and we started the amazing ship without a rudder voyage. Fast forward to two weeks ago and:

-got a really good backup qb, much better talent than S.Hill
I disagree here. The addition of Carr and the release of Hill was perplexing to me.
The only reason to go out and get a new QB is if we have long range plans for him.
I don't think Carr is the answer. I think Carr is meant to be a stop-gap for a year or so and if that's the case, why not just keep Hill? Hill already proved to be an adequate backup plus he knows the system and the players. This move was basically a wash for us and really didnt' make much sense, imo.

Quote:

-got a pair of true starters on OL, one of which would have gone to Fins if baalke hadn't moved up 2 slots. Remember, this is a team that lost D'brickshaw to Jets and the Hawk to GB...in each case by one slot, while waiting for each player to "come" or fall to us. Not this time. Baalke moved on AD and now he is our starter, not Miami's.
I don't think he would've gone to the Fins. I think the fear they had was centered around another team towards the back of the 1st round moving into the 11 or 12 spot and grabbing him.
Regardless though, I like the pickup. Although I think I like the Liupati pick even more...

Quote:

-got an outstanding KR/PR for a FIFTH, for heaven's sakes. Talk about a deal...and that assumes he can't play WR, which i think we will see is a myth.
Meh...you're overstating his value a bit here. He has shown flashes of brilliance but hasn't been consistently good and has had fumble issues which doesn't equate to "outstanding" in my book. He certainly has potential though and I agree that a fifth round pick was a bargain.
Not sure what his impact will be in the recieving game though. Slot reciever at best probably but with DBs less focused on him he might get a chance to shine. We'll see.

Quote:

-baalke had the stones to take what we needed at OG, Iupati, at #17, after taking AD 6 picks earlier. No way that our former draft crew would have done that.
I agree here. It definitely takes balls to go O-lineman with back-to-back first round picks and while it's not sexy, it shows that the team is building from the inside-out which, coincidentally, is how most great teams are started.

Quote:

-then landed a safety, Mays, whose highlight hits remind me a lot of...well, Lott. I think he needs a big dose of bigMike, but nonetheless, we got a really talented player in 2nd, a starter.
Yup, great grab by us. Plus he has a chip on his shoulder so I'm looking forward to his first pick-6 against the Hawks...followed shortly by his first 15 yard unsporstmanlike conduct penalty to be assessed on the kickoff for taunting Carrol along the Seahawks sideline :)

Quote:

-from then on i can't say much because of unfamiliarity with Bowman and all. We did, however, get some bodies for OLB, RB backups, receiver, TE. If any of these guys hit, this will be one fabulous draft plus whatever we picked up after 3rd rd. I can't remember a draft/FA where we did this well since Walsh. Yes, we didn't get a CB nor NT/DT, but jeez, on paper we look to be miles better.
I have pretty low expectations from these guys. Nothing wrong with using late picks on "warm bodies" and that's likely what they will amount to.

Yeah, I miss Shaun too. Something tells me there's more to this story than we know now, and we may never know what really caused it. Carr has a ways to go to impress anybody...

Green Bay obviously wanted a tackle and may have been trying to trade up to get Davis. Who cares. As 'Doc says, we've been aced out before; Singletary wanted Davis and when he got by Buffalo they set up the trade to insure they'd get him. No guarantee that he'd have fallen to them, so it's nice to see Baalke/Sing being proactive.

Jury's out on Mays and Bowman. They're going to have to earn everything they get. Totally up to them...they'll get their opportunities and they'll either win jobs, or not.

Ginn...another "show me" situation. I hope he excels and takes the KR job by storm, but LeRoy Vann is going to be returning punts for the 49ers this year IMHO.

Rookie minicamp tomorrow. Can't wait.

What is so hard about the David Carr signing? It makes perfect sense to me. David Carr allows this offense to have stability in the event of an injury or if Alex Smith doesn't play to the level expected of him. With Carr, the 49ers won't have to completely redo the offensive scheme. Shaun Hill was a good backup, but even he had his obvious limitations. Now we have 3 similar QBs (Smith, Carr, and Davis) who can step in if needed without having to start from scratch!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone