LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

So when....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
people are sour on nate cus of his contract, even though he played pretty well here, ppl expect a shutdown corner and i think he has only picked off like 5 passes in 3 yrs here. his contract after this year sky rockets, he'll play this year here at cb and next year it will probably be his choice take a pay cut or hit unrestricted free agency again
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by lamontb:
far as I know he'll be back this season & he isn't moving to safety I think he will be released after this upcoming year or taking a pay cut

I think two things will accelerate this process IMHO, if we end up drafting a CB 1st round or we draft a difference-maker like Graham (yes, I have a man-crush on Graham).

The fact that the coaching staff continues to use Brooks over Manny (and not Haralson at the WILL position) may be by design. Of the three, Brooks is the best pure pass rusher which typically is the WILL position yet they didn't take Haralson out for Brooks on 3rd downs and on obvious pass rushing situations.

I think this may be by design...work Brooks into a starting SAM position (just signed a two-year contract) and draft Graham to play WILL with Lawson leaving next year (most likely to a 4-3 team anyway) and move Haralson back to his backup role where he excelled off the bench in Brooks current role; have a nice rotation.

Just some food for thought.
Originally posted by crabman82:
people are sour on nate cus of his contract, even though he played pretty well here, ppl expect a shutdown corner and i think he has only picked off like 5 passes in 3 yrs here. his contract after this year sky rockets, he'll play this year here at cb and next year it will probably be his choice take a pay cut or hit unrestricted free agency again

True his contract status is unbelievable and should have never given or offered that type of money. It's clearly that he has lost a step or two and is not looking good especially if we draft Haden, Wilson, or even Thomas. Long shot Eric Berry is still a possibility but we shall see what happens there!
It gets frustrating whenever I hear that we need a new CB. Spencer proved to be a very, very good CB for us. A healthy Nate at the other end would be a pretty damn good set of corners. Don't forget the good depth we have at this position. Brown held his own when he played.

Notice how great our DBs looked when Brooks began to finally learn to get that quick first step off the line? Our DBs were intercepting balls left and right and our defense looked great. What we need is to hope that Goldson improves upon his play as he did in the second half of the season and Brooks to keep blowing by Tackles.

You should really take a look at our ILB depth. With us concentrating on OL and that "slot-type/3rd down back in the first two rounds, we may get a solid ILB later in the draft.

Whatever CB we get will not be better than Nate so there's no point unless we want to waste a first rounder on a CB.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Are we re-structuring or releasing Nate Clements? It's obvious we are picking a corner in the draft and does not look good for him unless he's willing to play safety. Would anyone have any info on his status with the team?

Thoughts?

How is it obvious? We wont unless Haden is at 13 IMO. Also, Clements is the best CB we have. He takes no BS from receivers and is awesome in run support. I agree that he got beat a couple of times, but those were blown coverages. Look at who he has to trust to help him out.... Mark Roman!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Are we re-structuring or releasing Nate Clements? It's obvious we are picking a corner in the draft and does not look good for him unless he's willing to play safety. Would anyone have any info on his status with the team?

Thoughts?

How is it obvious? We wont unless Haden is at 13 IMO. Also, Clements is the best CB we have. He takes no BS from receivers and is awesome in run support. I agree that he got beat a couple of times, but those were blown coverages. Look at who he has to trust to help him out.... Mark Roman!

This.

If we draft Haden let him play nickel behind Spencer and Clements for the year.
Share 49ersWebzone