There are 173 users in the forums

How Come Sing Never Got Any Toys?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I'm getting really restless with Scot now. Scoty let the Cards get Kerry Rhodes and for a 4th? Why didn't he do that. The safety positions would be taken care of and we could focus on other things in the Draft. He did the same thing or uh didn't pull the trigger a couple years back when he could of had his choice of Kris Jenkins, Marcus Stroud, or Shaun Rodgers for a ridiculously reasonable price (and yes I know Franklin has stepped up of course, but still). We still don't have a QB, still need another safety even though Mike Lewis is a good option on 1st and 2nd down even still. We still don't have that dominate pass rusher you need to be a great defense, we still have problems on the O-line, we still, we still... We don't win the division this year (even though we should of won the last 2 e'ffing years anyways!) he better be gone.

Scot didn't let them get Rhodes, The Jets did. Scot maybe was scared off due to Rhodes having a knack for saying the wrong thing from time to time in the media or on twitter. Maybe it was the fact that he freelances at times and was benched at one point this season. Maybe it was the fact that he played poorly in run support or the fact that since he got his extension his overall play was not on par with his performance on the field before he saw the dollars and cents.

Not trading for Jenkins, Stroud or Rodgers proved he had faith in Franklin and that has paid off for him in that regard.

The team wants to build through the draft so if we are going to trade draft picks for these guys they have to bring value for what we are going to give up and have to fit the character mold & strong work ethic we are looking for as well as fit into OUR schemes on offense or defense.

Who's better Mike Lewis or Kerry Rhodes? Uh ya. For just a 4th round pick, you do that deal.

For a 3rd I believe it was for any one of 3 Pro Bowl type DT's you do that deal. How sick would our line be with one of those 3 Franklin, Smith, and Ice, jeez that be insane. Course this is the same guy that drafted Alex Smith over a guy who's already a Pro Bowler and the way he's going at it going to be in the HOF so it's not surprising me as much anymore. For all the good moves he's made he sure has made some bad ones as well or none at all for that matter.

If Rhodes is going to freelance and not play up to the level he did pre-extension then why would we waste trading a pick even if it is a 4th ? The player has to play hard every snap and stick to his assignment. The player has to be careful what he says to the media and via twitter. And the way Rhodes played last year he wasn't any better than Lewis. He has not played up to his potential the last 2 seasons.

And why would we trade for another NT if we think the one we have can play at the same level as the other 3 ? The team still had high hopes for Balmer and if Balmer played up to expectations, then you have 2 guys (Franklin/Balmer) who will need to be extended at some point and command a nice chunk of change while Smith is already getting that money. You can't tie up too much money in one area of the team because it will leave you short when it comes to extending others and could force your hand to let someone go you'd rather not.

The DL played fairly well last year and proved to be solid at stopping the run. It is now time to focus a little more attention on the pass rushers as we still lack a consistent performance especially on the weakside. As for the DL we need to continue to develop what we have and look to add a value player in FA or possibly draft another body to develop and hopefully that player can work into the rotation.

Managing and balancing your salary cap is not as easy as Madden makes it out to be.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
i believe we have no free agent starters signed last two years of free agency because we have cheap ownership i refuse to believe over the last two years not one free agent could have improved our team look at darren sharper 9 ints and 3 house calls the saint got him cheap too 1 year 1 million deal also i believe j peppers was worth big money we need a pass rusher he would have been better investment than nate clements who has not been worth 70 million dollars we gave him jonas jenning got big money and he wasnt worth it always injured i like justin smith but the point is how can mike nolan get all these free agents and singletary gets damon huard cut before season and david carr never should have signed we need impact players like bolden cromratie peppers free agents still available that i think could help are darren sharper terrell owens or antonio bryant, joey porter we did not make playoffs because we needed upgrades at several positions to sit still in free agency and bet it all on draft is not a recipe for success

Sharper got a 1 year 1.7 million dollar contract because no other teams were interested in his services. The Bears had appeared to be last year but then backed off. Nobody believed him to be a playmaker at that point in his career.

How do you know Peppers would have been a better investment than Clements ? Have you ever seen Peppers play in a 3-4 D ? Can he truly line up as an OLB ? How well would he fare as a 5 technique ?

Carr was signed because he has the arm strength Hill lacks as a backup. If pressed into action we can still go vertical with the offense.

And as far as your last sentence, tell that to the Colts, Pats and Steelers who have used the same formula to build teams that almost consistently win games and go to the playoffs year in year out. Those 3 teams all won SB's with the "build through the draft philosophy" this past decade. How many games did the Redskins win this year ? The year before that ? Daniel Snyder's philosophy pays real big dividends doesn't it ?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YorkHater:
It seems to me that since Sing has been head coach he hasnt gotten any toys to play with? No big free agent splash: no Mccluess and Dork Jr forking out the dough. Mike Nolan had his chances with failed free agent signings(Glass Jennings).

As a fan i want Sing to have his fair shot to succeed and i think McClueless and Dork are pinching pennies and not giving Sing a fair shot.

What Yall think?

Well, lets see...

1. The roster was in a lot worse shape when Nolan took over from Erickson so going into FA made some sense to try to speed up the rebuilding process. Remember, when Nolan took over, the 49ers were generally considered to have the least amount of talent in the league.

2. Everyone knows that if you go after big names in FA at the beginning, you are going to overpay. 2010 is an upcapped year but that doesn't mean that the 2011 or beyond will be.

3. As has been discussed and reported in the last few weeks, the 49ers have a number of key core players coming up for new contracts soon, including Willis. At some level, the funds are likely better spent keeping the core players.

4. Free agency just started. The best bargains are usually after the dust clears from the initial flurry; and, this year, restricted free agency is likely going to be more active.

5. Its always interesting to hear fans pound the drum about "building through the draft" for most of the year...and then free agency opens and certain percentage of those fans then criticize the team for not going heavy into free agency. You can't have it both ways.

6. The Redskins have been one of the most active teams in free agency. How has it worked out for them? The Bears are very active this year because they have traded away their 1st and 2nd round draft pick and their coach and GM are on the hot seat for their jobs.
Originally posted by kem99:
It seems to me that since Sing has been head coach he hasnt gotten any toys to play with? No big free agent splash: no Mccluess and Dork Jr forking out the dough. Mike Nolan had his chances with failed free agent signings(Glass Jennings).

As a fan i want Sing to have his fair shot to succeed and i think McClueless and Dork are pinching pennies and not giving Sing a fair shot.

What Yall think?

Well, lets see...

1. The roster was in a lot worse shape when Nolan took over from Erickson so going into FA made some sense to try to speed up the rebuilding process. Remember, when Nolan took over, the 49ers were generally considered to have the least amount of talent in the league.

2. Everyone knows that if you go after big names in FA at the beginning, you are going to overpay. 2010 is an upcapped year but that doesn't mean that the 2011 or beyond will be.

3. As has been discussed and reported in the last few weeks, the 49ers have a number of key core players coming up for new contracts soon, including Willis. At some level, the funds are likely better spent keeping the core players.

4. Free agency just started. The best bargains are usually after the dust clears from the initial flurry; and, this year, restricted free agency is likely going to be more active.

5. Its always interesting to hear fans pound the drum about "building through the draft" for most of the year...and then free agency opens and certain percentage of those fans then criticize the team for not going heavy into free agency. You can't have it both ways.

6. The Redskins have been one of the most active teams in free agency. How has it worked out for them? The Bears are very active this year because they have traded away their 1st and 2nd round draft pick and their coach and GM are on the hot seat for their jobs.

Totally agree...especially with #4 and #5.

People seem to forget that the biggest $$$ we have spent has been on Nate Clements and most on the zone want him cut (I'm not in that camp BTW). Meanwhile, I remember complaints about the sigings of Aubrayo Franklin and Walt Harris....both of which were GREAT signings, Aubrayo in particular. Even Marques Douglas was a very good move on the cheap.

Big Name, Big Money doesn't alway mean better player. The best teams find bargains.
Originally posted by susweel:
Its because the niners are trying to keep the black man down.

That explains so much!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

What Yall think?

If David Carr is any indication, they are not giving him squat,

THIS.

This

WTF!!!! I Cant Stand all these other teams making moves and all we talk about is david carr

Who should they go after that is available?

Peppers wasnt too overpriced considering we gave justin smith 5 years 48 mil....
How about Brandon Marshall?
How about last year trading up for Michael Oher?
Cromartie for a conditional 3rd?
how about bringing leon washington in for a visit?
Maybe a FA guard or Restricted T?
How about Trade up in the draft to get berry and cut michael Lewis?
Give Sing his Toys he deserves is it and im not talking david Carr

hey look, a new troll.

we didnt need peppers, hes old, he cost WAY too much for what he has left in the tank.

brandon marshall is a trouble maker. and crabtree is going to be just as good. id rather trade a 3rd for Boldin even though hes older. but hed be alot cheaper.

hindsight is 20/20 for Oher. at the time we didnt know hed be this good. and you cant just magically trade up to a certain spot. the right peices have to fall into place, and make sense for both teams. maybe we tried.

Cromartie is overrated, and also a troublemaker.

Leon Washington just DESTROYED his ankle. bone through the skin. his career as a productive back could very well be over.

im on board with a f/a OL, but its all a matter of price, availability, how much a player actually want to play for you, etc. going conservative into a strange 1 year uncapped situation is the smart thing to do.
[ Edited by TDilvr on Mar 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM ]

What Yall think?

Well, lets see...

im not saying to go and buy every guy out there yet to be decisive in FA and pick up key pieces to the puzzle....almost every position we have could stand to be up graded with the exception of a few player ex VD,PW,DG,FG,MCrab.......A good team creates competition with depth at positions...we have no depth and keep handing these players who havent earned s**t, their starting positions
  • kem99
  • Veteran

What Yall think?

Well, lets see...

im not saying to go and buy every guy out there yet to be decisive in FA and pick up key pieces to the puzzle....almost every position we have could stand to be up graded with the exception of a few player ex VD,PW,DG,FG,MCrab.......A good team creates competition with depth at positions...we have no depth and keep handing these players who havent earned s**t, their starting positions

Okay, are you sure you know what you want because this post does not seem to go with your earlier posts, such as the one where you suggested:

"Peppers wasnt too overpriced considering we gave justin smith 5 years 48 mil....
How about Brandon Marshall?
How about last year trading up for Michael Oher?
Cromartie for a conditional 3rd?
how about bringing leon washington in for a visit?
Maybe a FA guard or Restricted T?
How about Trade up in the draft to get berry and cut michael Lewis?"

How is that about creating "depth"? If you want the 49ers to develop depth, the best way to do that is through the draft and being patient in free agency by looking for bargains after the initial flurry, its not by overspending on the big ticket items.

And, what positions exactly have players been given starting positions without "earning" it?
I'm getting really restless with Scot now. Scoty let the Cards get Kerry Rhodes and for a 4th? Why didn't he do that. The safety positions would be taken care of and we could focus on other things in the Draft. He did the same thing or uh didn't pull the trigger a couple years back when he could of had his choice of Kris Jenkins, Marcus Stroud, or Shaun Rodgers for a ridiculously reasonable price (and yes I know Franklin has stepped up of course, but still). We still don't have a QB, still need another safety even though Mike Lewis is a good option on 1st and 2nd down even still. We still don't have that dominate pass rusher you need to be a great defense, we still have problems on the O-line, we still, we still... We don't win the division this year (even though we should of won the last 2 e'ffing years anyways!) he better be gone.

Scot didn't let them get Rhodes, The Jets did. Scot maybe was scared off due to Rhodes having a knack for saying the wrong thing from time to time in the media or on twitter. Maybe it was the fact that he freelances at times and was benched at one point this season. Maybe it was the fact that he played poorly in run support or the fact that since he got his extension his overall play was not on par with his performance on the field before he saw the dollars and cents.

Not trading for Jenkins, Stroud or Rodgers proved he had faith in Franklin and that has paid off for him in that regard.

The team wants to build through the draft so if we are going to trade draft picks for these guys they have to bring value for what we are going to give up and have to fit the character mold & strong work ethic we are looking for as well as fit into OUR schemes on offense or defense.

Who's better Mike Lewis or Kerry Rhodes? Uh ya. For just a 4th round pick, you do that deal.

For a 3rd I believe it was for any one of 3 Pro Bowl type DT's you do that deal. How sick would our line be with one of those 3 Franklin, Smith, and Ice, jeez that be insane. Course this is the same guy that drafted Alex Smith over a guy who's already a Pro Bowler and the way he's going at it going to be in the HOF so it's not surprising me as much anymore. For all the good moves he's made he sure has made some bad ones as well or none at all for that matter.

If Rhodes is going to freelance and not play up to the level he did pre-extension then why would we waste trading a pick even if it is a 4th ? The player has to play hard every snap and stick to his assignment. The player has to be careful what he says to the media and via twitter. And the way Rhodes played last year he wasn't any better than Lewis. He has not played up to his potential the last 2 seasons.

And why would we trade for another NT if we think the one we have can play at the same level as the other 3 ? The team still had high hopes for Balmer and if Balmer played up to expectations, then you have 2 guys (Franklin/Balmer) who will need to be extended at some point and command a nice chunk of change while Smith is already getting that money. You can't tie up too much money in one area of the team because it will leave you short when it comes to extending others and could force your hand to let someone go you'd rather not.

The DL played fairly well last year and proved to be solid at stopping the run. It is now time to focus a little more attention on the pass rushers as we still lack a consistent performance especially on the weakside. As for the DL we need to continue to develop what we have and look to add a value player in FA or possibly draft another body to develop and hopefully that player can work into the rotation.

Managing and balancing your salary cap is not as easy as Madden makes it out to be.

Madden? Who's mentioning Madden? We shouldn't of drafted Balmer in the first place so don't f'ing look at me, same wit this moron of a QB that we have instead of the Pro Bowler in Green Bay. Shaun Rodgers is already moving to DE in Cleveland so why couldn't he or a leaner Franklin play DE for us. Plus it would of been easy to even let Franklin go if we wanted to. As for Rhodes he's better than Mike Lewis that's all I know so why not give away a 4th round pick for a guy who's better than a starting safety that we have? Cuz of our GM I mean talent wize Rhodes is probably better than Rolle especially since he has more range and is faster than Rolle, it's just Rolle has better ball skills so everybody goes bonkers for him including the Giants, who should of traded for Bethea or signed Sharper, but that's another matter.
Because they're too far up the fans ASS!

Originally posted by Trajik1:
I'm actually surprised we're not bringing in OJ Atogwe for a visit

Maybe Sing's daughter will.
i believe we have no free agent starters signed last two years of free agency because we have cheap ownership i refuse to believe over the last two years not one free agent could have improved our team look at darren sharper 9 ints and 3 house calls the saint got him cheap too 1 year 1 million deal also i believe j peppers was worth big money we need a pass rusher he would have been better investment than nate clements who has not been worth 70 million dollars we gave him jonas jenning got big money and he wasnt worth it always injured i like justin smith but the point is how can mike nolan get all these free agents and singletary gets damon huard cut before season and david carr never should have signed we need impact players like bolden cromratie peppers free agents still available that i think could help are darren sharper terrell owens or antonio bryant, joey porter we did not make playoffs because we needed upgrades at several positions to sit still in free agency and bet it all on draft is not a recipe for success

Sharper got a 1 year 1.7 million dollar contract because no other teams were interested in his services. The Bears had appeared to be last year but then backed off. Nobody believed him to be a playmaker at that point in his career.

How do you know Peppers would have been a better investment than Clements ? Have you ever seen Peppers play in a 3-4 D ? Can he truly line up as an OLB ? How well would he fare as a 5 technique ?

Carr was signed because he has the arm strength Hill lacks as a backup. If pressed into action we can still go vertical with the offense.

And as far as your last sentence, tell that to the Colts, Pats and Steelers who have used the same formula to build teams that almost consistently win games and go to the playoffs year in year out. Those 3 teams all won SB's with the "build through the draft philosophy" this past decade. How many games did the Redskins win this year ? The year before that ? Daniel Snyder's philosophy pays real big dividends doesn't it ?

Well, that's simple. Just change to a 4-3 and sign some more cast offs that fit the 4-3. It really is that simple you know.

QuotePM
IP
The build through the draft can work if u draft well like bill walsh did but scot mcclueless is not bill walsh the teams u named also make upgrades thru free agency or trades we dont randy moss from oakland for third round pick great move they spent big money on pass rusher a thomas from baltimore and pittsburg pats and colts all have great qb big ben payton manning and tom brady so to compare the 49ers to those teams is ridiculous we were 8-8 last year we need to improve we cant depend only on the draft when frankly we have alot of busts like picking kentwan balmer over desean jackson our draft strategy of bigger is better is keeping us from getting playmakers like percy harvin cj spiller and u want build thru draft only u have no idea what ur talking bout last player to get double digit sacks for 49ers was andre carter peppers get double digits sacks on a yearly basis clements has not made a probowl since he came to the 49ers because he has not made enough ints to paid 70 mill we would have been better off giving it to peppers can he play olb or 5 technique i dont know or care he can get double digit sacks and go to multiple probowls and pass rush has been a 49er weakness for years and as far as david carr is concerned he is the biggest bust in nfl history of #1 qb drafted he is not a winner if he is pressed into action we will lose if shaun hill has one thing going for him he is a winner it may not be pretty but he is a better qb and leader than carr will ever be and last but not least darren sharper had 9 ints last year with 3 house calls we have not had secondary play like that since merton hanks and deion sanders were 49ers in 94 championship year i watched the saints play sharper is an upgrade over mark roman and mike lewis even over d goldson who is a very good fs we should sign him and this offseason with no cap even teams like pittsburg are spending big in free agency over 25 mill spent this offseason krs1 wake up other teams are improving we are not period
[ Edited by 49ersswagger on Mar 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
He's an adult. He's too old for toys.

lol
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
I think coach Sing is having fun with what nolan took for granted... Vernon Davis, Ahmad Brooks, Reggie Goldson.I think a few more guys are going to be... Kentwan Balmer, Tarell Brown, and the Alex brothers,Boone& Smith.
Share 49ersWebzone