LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 158 users in the forums

With Rolle breaking the bank, will we have to pay Goldson the same?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's a comparison of the pertinent stats from nfl.com. If you look at the numbers, Goldson had a better season and Rolle just got a 5 year 37 mil contract.

A. Rolle: Tackles - 61 Solo 11 Assists, 72 total Rank - 23rd among DB. 4 Int's rank: T-5th among S, 12 Pdef 1.5 sacks.

D. Goldson: Tackles - 76 Solo, 18 Assists, 94 Total Rank - 4th among DB. 4 Int's rank: T-5th among S, 10 PDef, 2.0 Sacks.

By comparison Goldson had 33 more tackles, .5 more sacks, =Int's and 2 less passes defensed.

Rolle just became the highest paid safety every.... How can we not pay Goldson after such a comparible season?
I don't think Goldson is in a position to command that type of contract after 1 decent season. If he can not only duplicate, but improve on last season, he might just be worth the money. I don't know about highest paid Safety ever money, but maybe serious dough.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I don't think Goldson is in a position to command that type of contract after 1 decent season. If he can not only duplicate, but improve on last season, he might just be worth the money. I don't know about highest paid Safety ever money, but maybe serious dough.

Hmmm...Rolle did it after a decent 2009. If you look at the Cardinals boards, they complainted about Rolle ALOT for his inability to cover and tackle. Anyway, it's a joke that he even got that much money.
Goldson is an good player with lots of potential to be a great player. He shouldn't get big money until he shows consistency and improvement.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Hmmm...Rolle did it after a decent 2009. If you look at the Cardinals boards, they complainted about Rolle ALOT for his inability to cover and tackle. Anyway, it's a joke that he even got that much money.

and its a joke that nate clements got the money he got...thats how free agency is...if you want that player you over pay to get him so someone else doesnt
I would assume no.
uncapped year, alows teams to over pay, does he deserve it (Rolle)? Hell to the nawh!

Rolle has been consistent as a starter for 3 years. That's why I think they threw the money at him. Like I said, If Goldson can duplicate and improve, he might be in a position to command some big money. But he's not at that level just yet.
I said it another thread, but if Goldson only reaches the caliber of Rolle after next season, then there is no way we will overpay for him. That just doesn't seem to be Scotty's MO.

I do think that this might really encourage Goldson even more though, and maybe spur him to a pro-bowl season in search of that big payday. So maybe we will benefit, at least in the short run, from this contract.

Rolle has been consistent as a starter for 3 years. That's why I think they threw the money at him. Like I said, If Goldson can duplicate and improve, he might be in a position to command some big money. But he's not at that level just yet.

I suggest you go watch more football. LMAO @ decent starter for 3 years. Go look at the Cardinals boards. Are you talking about the same 3 years where he lost his starting job @ CB in 2007? dude moved to safety in 2008 and had pathetic campaign. He was lost out there and had 1 int all yaer long. Last year was his only decent year.

Goldson>Rolle.......hes a much better player. What about all the forced fumbles Dashon forced this year. We need to pay him.
not till he gets those to pass defendeds

no because he had 1 year of production he needs more to get that kind of money however i still think hes going to be overpayed/want to much money i think the safe thing to do is get earl thomas chad jones or rolle in the draft in the draft just in case
Originally posted by jonnydellfan:
Here's a comparison of the pertinent stats from nfl.com. If you look at the numbers, Goldson had a better season and Rolle just got a 5 year 37 mil contract.

A. Rolle: Tackles - 61 Solo 11 Assists, 72 total Rank - 23rd among DB. 4 Int's rank: T-5th among S, 12 Pdef 1.5 sacks.

D. Goldson: Tackles - 76 Solo, 18 Assists, 94 Total Rank - 4th among DB. 4 Int's rank: T-5th among S, 10 PDef, 2.0 Sacks.

By comparison Goldson had 33 more tackles, .5 more sacks, =Int's and 2 less passes defensed.

Rolle just became the highest paid safety every.... How can we not pay Goldson after such a comparible season?

we would not have to pay that much for DG because I'm sure our defense was on the field a LOT more than Arizona's. so DG had more chances to make plays than roll. However that 33 more tackles is a big number so I may be mistaken.
No.
If he improves next season, he'll get paid. Either by us, or someone else. Personally, I'd like to keep him.
Share 49ersWebzone