There are 217 users in the forums

Which two players on O and D are poised to make the biggest improvement?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If the team is going to win next year, a few of the returning starters are going to have to make big jumps in their productivity. Based on what we know so far, who's going to take the biggest step?

For my money, I'm going to say Smith on offense, and Tarrel Brown on defense.

For Smith, I saw so much more in this past season talent-wise than I'd really ever seen in the past and I think the stage is totally set for him to break out. A full off-season as the starter, continuity with the coordinator, and several legitimate options for pass-catchers, and I think that we could finally see why the ceiling on this kid was set so high. I'd say of everyone on the offense, his situation has improved the most.

For Brown, I think we all saw that he's a very talented corner with good speed and quickness. But he was also still pretty immature in regards to being an NFL player. Another year of being a pro and seeing how real professionals prepare themselves could lead to a big jump in his level of play.

Hope I'm right! You?
Crabtree and Brooks
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like Crabtree to make huge strides this year. Assuming we can fix some of the OL woes, I like Smith being able to get Crabtree the ball. I mean the dude as a rookie had ZERO offseason work with the team, ZERO pre-season game experience and ZERO work with the QB's to get the timing down and still had a good year.

I expect Crabtree to have a 1100+ yard season with 10+ TD's.

On the defense I like Ahmad Brooks. I think he can effectively be a starting OLB and can have a good 10+ sack season and also make other plays with FF's and maybe add an INT or two.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Crabtree and Brooks

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I like Crabtree to make huge strides this year. Assuming we can fix some of the OL woes, I like Smith being able to get Crabtree the ball. I mean the dude as a rookie had ZERO offseason work with the team, ZERO pre-season game experience and ZERO work with the QB's to get the timing down and still had a good year.

On the defense I like Ahmad Brooks. I think he can effectively be a starting OLB and can have a good 10+ sack season and also make other plays with FF's and maybe add an INT or two.

Do we have any knowledge about his pass-coverage ability?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:

Do we have any knowledge about his pass-coverage ability?

Probably something he can work on for sure, however in his role he would be blitzing the majority of the time.
Crabtree and Brooks

Yes. Brooks more so because Crabtree starts from a fairly high point.

So maybe Alex Smith and Brooks
Crabtree and Brooks
I agree with the above. Crabtree and Brooks will most likely make the biggest improvement.

If Crabtree does in fact make the biggest improvement, then that will go hand in hand with how Smith must have performed as well.

-9fA
On offense I'd have to say Chilo Rachal. He's already a mini version of Ray Brown physically. The most important and life-changing words Chilo will hear are "Hey my name's Ray Brown, I used to play your position for your team and now I'm your coach".

Chilo's improved play along with our newly acquired stud RT (through the draft) will allow us to run more to the right and allow Baas to pull more, definitely his strength. Baas is a straight up mauler and with all of the pieces around him playing exceptionally, Raye will be able to use him more in space. Look for Baas leading the way for Gore on the right and out on screens next season.

Those are my two. The defense was already making a lot of improvement last season. These are two guys who have been consistently inconsistent and I see them turning into solid starters this year, something we desperately need from them.

Alex Smith & Brooks
Crabtree and Brooks

I think its pretty obvious Crabs on O. Goldson could make a case on D.
  • 4gabe9
  • Info N/A
Chilo Rachel & Ahmad Brooks

Chilo will come back better there was alot of bad in his game but yet some good
I have high hopes for him in this coming season.

Ahmad Brooks just look at the Arizona Cardinal game the guy was everywhere making plays & with a full season as starter I think he is in to do some BIG things.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4gabe9:
Chilo Rachel & Ahmad Brooks

Chilo will come back better there was alot of bad in his game but yet some good
I have high hopes for him in this coming season.

Ahmad Brooks just look at the Arizona Cardinal game the guy was everywhere making plays & with a full season as starter I think he is in to do some BIG things.

Would love it if Chilo had a huge year!
IMO Brooks on D; but, O is a little more difficult.

I'd love to say Smith on O; he has the weapons and is definitely poised to take a huge step. I just don't think he can do it though. With that said, I don't think Crabs will have a huge year either cause he needs someone to feed him the ball to make a huge impact. I'm going to have to go with someone on the line.

I'll say Chilo Rachal on O! A new line coach, more experience, and some likely help from FA or the draft will set him up for a good year.
Share 49ersWebzone