LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 174 users in the forums

Vernon disses Dallas Clark

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Vernon is right IMO.. Clark benefits from playing with the best QB in the league by far.

There is no doubt that Vernon is stronger, faster and a better blocker.. We are just beginning to see Vernon's potential. If he continues to work hard Vernon could very well be the best hands down.. No pun intended because we all know about Vernon's hands.
VD is definitely a better overall TE - but Clark is a much better receiver.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 49erFan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Until Davis learns how to run routes other than verts, and read defenses well enough to be an effective "hot read" receiver, and cures his droppsies, and eliminates his false start penalties, he will not be the best all-around TE in the league.

Davis made his biggest improvement this past season in his career. He still has a ways to go before he can legitimately be called the best. Until then, he best let his play talk instead of his mouth.

This! I mean the main reason he didnt make it to the All Pro team was because of his drops. And thats what separates the goods from greats. No one cares about how many blocks DC has. They care about how many catches and TD's.

So while im definitely in my boys corner, he does have to prove a little more before he can really diss a proven player. Davis' Blocking skills are off the hook, but if thats all they wanted to see he might of made it from his rookie year till now.

And for any vets out there i'm just curious; HAS there ever been a TE thats made it to the All Pro team or Pro Bowl on the merit of just being the best blocking TE in the league. If there are, then Davis should of definitely be on the All Pro team, and can have a little validity in saying he's the best.

Let's be fair now. Dallas Clark had 9 drops himself. Only 2 behind Vernon.

WTF, did he? Damn i didnt even know that, but i mean to be real, thats the only reason i can think of him not being on the All PRO Team.

At one point tho, Davis did leave more than a few TD's on the board, and Clark (maybe has), but then if thats the case how come they talked more about Davis' drops.

Makes you wonder, Hmmmmmm

Thanks krizay, just when i thought it made sense, now you said Clark's drops are only 2 under Davis, so know im all f**ked up. lol

Well Clark did have 100 catches, 1106 yards & 10 TD's

All of that looks better than 78 catches, 965 yards & 13 td's

You guys only want to look at the 13 td's because it's Vernon Davis. But Clark's look far better across the board than Davis'

Again this proves that was Davis did was even more incredible. With 22 less catches, he was able to tie the NFL record for TD's by a TE.

He did that without Peyton Manning as QB. Without Reggie Wayne taking the double teams.

VD is a far better blocker than Clark, and as you pointed out VD only had two more drops than Dallas Clark... So much for the best argument anyone had that Clark was better...

Imagine what VD would have done in Clark's situation, and Clark in VD's. This isn't rocket science.

Also, people keep pointing out those 13TD's because it's an NFL Record! It IS a big deal! Scoring TD's is the biggest factor in winning football games. Without VD the 49ers would have been picking in the top 5. Dallas Clark could not hve did for this team, what Vernon Davis did.

Ah you people!

Let me explain my post to you. The guy posted that drop passes was the only reason why he thought Vernon should have been left off the 09 all-pro team. He then found out that Clark only had 2 less drops. So he was confused as to why Vernon was left off the 09 all-pro team. I was merely pointing out why Clark was indeed voted to the 09 all pro team over Vernon Davis. It doesn't matter who the quarterback is. It doesn't matter who has who at WR. ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE NUMBERS WHEN IT COMES TO AN ALL PRO TEAM.

That is what the conversation was about. You people need to quit quoting me without reading. Or understanding what you're reading. In fact that's my knew signature.

Don't quote me if you can't read or follow a discussion!

Kz!

what do you mean you people

Quote:
There's always ATLEAST one of you quoting me and changing the argument.

Kz!

Don't get your panties all in a knot fella.

I wasn't arguining with you. I was simply quoting what you said, and adding to the discussion.

People can quote someone and not be doing it to continue an argument.

If you didn't like what I said, I'm ok with that. However, if you post in a discussion, you may be quoted, and you'll just have to accept that.

you added nothing to the discussion The comment was about the 09 ALL PRO TEAM!

Then you claimed if it wasn't for Vernon we'd be picking top 5. You obviously have no idea what his numbers were in our wins and in our losses.

31 catches, 341 yards 5 td's in he 8 wins.
47 catches, 624 yards, 8 td's in the 8 losses.

So please please tell me again how important he was to us!

I know this is a touchy subject for you because Vernon became what you didn't think he could, and he tied the NFL record for most TD's ever by a TE. But seriously, relax a little, he plays for your team!

And of couse I added something to the discussion. The topic of the thread, is not about who was all pro. Try to think outside of your box a little.
Originally posted by domesik:
Until Davis learns how to run routes other than verts, and read defenses well enough to be an effective "hot read" receiver, and cures his droppsies, and eliminates his false start penalties, he will not be the best all-around TE in the league.

Davis made his biggest improvement this past season in his career. He still has a ways to go before he can legitimately be called the best. Until then, he best let his play talk instead of his mouth.

This! I mean the main reason he didnt make it to the All Pro team was because of his drops. And thats what separates the goods from greats. No one cares about how many blocks DC has. They care about how many catches and TD's.

So while im definitely in my boys corner, he does have to prove a little more before he can really diss a proven player. Davis' Blocking skills are off the hook, but if thats all they wanted to see he might of made it from his rookie year till now.

And for any vets out there i'm just curious; HAS there ever been a TE thats made it to the All Pro team or Pro Bowl on the merit of just being the best blocking TE in the league. If there are, then Davis should of definitely be on the All Pro team, and can have a little validity in saying he's the best.

WTF, did he? Damn i didnt even know that, but i mean to be real, thats the only reason i can think of him not being on the All PRO Team.

At one point tho, Davis did leave more than a few TD's on the board, and Clark (maybe has), but then if thats the case how come they talked more about Davis' drops.

Thanks krizay, just when i thought it made sense, now you said Clark's drops are only 2 under Davis, so know im all f**ked up. lol

You guys only want to look at the 13 td's because it's Vernon Davis. But Clark's look far better across the board than Davis'

I'm still not getting how gaining 141 yards on 22 more catches and 3 LESS touchdowns is "far better accross the board? Add to that Clark has only 2 less drops then Davis and that Davis is a WAY better blocker.......I agree with Davis.

Clark is a slot WR acting like a TE, which is fine.

Throw 32 GM's in a room, tell them to draft a team from scratch and see which TE gets picked first and I'll show you 32 cards that have V. Davis on them and 0 that say D. Clark.

if you take away the names from those stats and would have asked which one you wanted you wanted Vernon to get. It would have been hands down, 100 catches, 1106 yards and 10 td's. You know it and I know it.

Na, I'd take the 3 extra TD's over the 141Yds. The catches are not that big of a deciding point, because Vernon didn't have the ball thrown to him as often, or as accurately as Clark did.

What we do know, is that Vernon had a higher reception average, and scored more TD's. Meaning he did more with the opportunites he did have.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Wow at this thread.

Bottomline: Vernon said his all-around game was WAY better this year which it is not. He had more drops (in less targets), less catches, less yards and I'm guessing he had more penalties than Clark, considering he would false start almost every game.

I am NOT saying Vernon sucks or anything, the fact that we are arguing that he was the best TE this year shows how far he has come, with another year in a familiar offense and a whole offseason to work with Smith i fully expect another Pro-Bowl caliber year from Vernon.
VD has one good year and he thinks he is better than Clark ???? Wow VD has a long ways to go to even get compared to Dallas Clark , much less for anyone to say he is better.

I'm still not getting how gaining 141 yards on 22 more catches and 3 LESS touchdowns is "far better accross the board? Add to that Clark has only 2 less drops then Davis and that Davis is a WAY better blocker.......I agree with Davis.

Throw 32 GM's in a room, tell them to draft a team from scratch and see which TE gets picked first and I'll show you 32 cards that have V. Davis on them and 0 that say D. Clark.

if you take away the names from those stats and would have asked which one you wanted you wanted Vernon to get. It would have been hands down, 100 catches, 1106 yards and 10 td's. You know it and I know it.

Your last part again has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Then show me the blocking stats. Because all you are using are RECEIVING stats and TE's in the NFL block also. We all know Clark is a better WR then Davis, which your above stats show, but that is it, that is all.

The last has everything to do with everything. It takes out the QB (Manning vs. Smith) the team (Colts O vs. 49ers O) and all the other intangibles that are present in this argument. Again, a GM that doesn't have a QB yet or O coordinator yet and is picking up a TE to PLAY TE on his team (not slot WR) will look at Davis and Clark and pick Davis everytime.

But you'd probably pick Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino because the stats say he has more rings them him.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR

So your argument is Davis is the #57 ranked TE in football? Because if its not, then I'd not go with your brother in laws or whoever's website that is.
Vernon may have a point...now. Clark isn't asked to block much at all...Vernon does. He's catching his passes from one of the all-time greats...Vernon isn't. All things considered, he may be right. Clark isn't going to run by anyone...Vernon does. Think about it...all-around game...Vernon may well have the edge.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Wow at this thread.

Bottomline: Vernon said his all-around game was WAY better this year which it is not. He had more drops (in less targets), less catches, less yards and I'm guessing he had more penalties than Clark, considering he would false start almost every game.

I am NOT saying Vernon sucks or anything, the fact that we are arguing that he was the best TE this year shows how far he has come, with another year in a familiar offense and a whole offseason to work with Smith i fully expect another Pro-Bowl caliber year from Vernon.

Exactly. I wasn't saying he sucked or anything. He's a valuable player. But at the same time, he's not the best all around TE in football like he said he was when you factor in penalties, drops(big thing here is he had more drops in less targets), and his blocking isn't bad but honestly I think it's gotten overrated. I'm not even a huge Clark fan, I think he's good and all and I LIKE the colts but it's not like they're my 2nd team or anything. I just think Vern needs to be more polished and have more than 1 year of solid production, as well as make plays when THEY NEED to be made, before he can say this.
1. That football focus site is subjective.

2. Drops are subjective. Not saying VD has the best hands because he doesn't, but ball placement is a key factor in drops.

Use your eyes here people (not OP or some others), VD has become a great weapon for us in the passing game and I don't see any issue with his blocking. The argument that he gets #'s because he gets a lot of targets is silly. Wouldn't you want to target your best receiving option? He responded with a league record for TDs at his position and almost 1000 yards...what's the problem again?

And to those who don't realize this...Dallas Clark IS NOT a traditional TE. He's used as a WR more than anything else. The Colts offense doesn't even require him to be a run blocker.

• krizay
  • Veteran

Again this proves that was Davis did was even more incredible. With 22 less catches, he was able to tie the NFL record for TD's by a TE.

He did that without Peyton Manning as QB. Without Reggie Wayne taking the double teams.

VD is a far better blocker than Clark, and as you pointed out VD only had two more drops than Dallas Clark... So much for the best argument anyone had that Clark was better...

Imagine what VD would have done in Clark's situation, and Clark in VD's. This isn't rocket science.

Also, people keep pointing out those 13TD's because it's an NFL Record! It IS a big deal! Scoring TD's is the biggest factor in winning football games. Without VD the 49ers would have been picking in the top 5. Dallas Clark could not hve did for this team, what Vernon Davis did.

Ah you people!

Let me explain my post to you. The guy posted that drop passes was the only reason why he thought Vernon should have been left off the 09 all-pro team. He then found out that Clark only had 2 less drops. So he was confused as to why Vernon was left off the 09 all-pro team. I was merely pointing out why Clark was indeed voted to the 09 all pro team over Vernon Davis. It doesn't matter who the quarterback is. It doesn't matter who has who at WR. ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE NUMBERS WHEN IT COMES TO AN ALL PRO TEAM.

That is what the conversation was about. You people need to quit quoting me without reading. Or understanding what you're reading. In fact that's my knew signature.

Kz!

Quote:

Kz!

I wasn't arguining with you. I was simply quoting what you said, and adding to the discussion.

If you didn't like what I said, I'm ok with that. However, if you post in a discussion, you may be quoted, and you'll just have to accept that.

Then you claimed if it wasn't for Vernon we'd be picking top 5. You obviously have no idea what his numbers were in our wins and in our losses.

I know this is a touchy subject for you because Vernon became what you didn't think he could, and he tied the NFL record for most TD's ever by a TE. But seriously, relax a little, he plays for your team!

And of couse I added something to the discussion. The topic of the thread, is not about who was all pro. Try to think outside of your box a little.

You added nothing because the argument in which you jumped in the middle of and quoted. FOR THE LAST TIME WAS ABOUT THE 09 ALL PRO TEAM.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Your last part again has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Then show me the blocking stats. Because all you are using are RECEIVING stats and TE's in the NFL block also. We all know Clark is a better WR then Davis, which your above stats show, but that is it, that is all.

The last has everything to do with everything. It takes out the QB (Manning vs. Smith) the team (Colts O vs. 49ers O) and all the other intangibles that are present in this argument. Again, a GM that doesn't have a QB yet or O coordinator yet and is picking up a TE to PLAY TE on his team (not slot WR) will look at Davis and Clark and pick Davis everytime.

But you'd probably pick Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino because the stats say he has more rings them him.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR

So your argument is Davis is the #57 ranked TE in football? Because if its not, then I'd not go with your brother in laws or whoever's website that is.

You wanted blocking stats I gave you blocking stats. It didn't fit your argument and I'm not surprised by your response.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
1. That football focus site is subjective.

2. Drops are subjective. Not saying VD has the best hands because he doesn't, but ball placement is a key factor in drops.

Use your eyes here people (not OP or some others), VD has become a great weapon for us in the passing game and I don't see any issue with his blocking. The argument that he gets #'s because he gets a lot of targets is silly. Wouldn't you want to target your best receiving option? He responded with a league record for TDs at his position and almost 1000 yards...what's the problem again?

And to those who don't realize this...Dallas Clark IS NOT a traditional TE. He's used as a WR more than anything else. The Colts offense doesn't even require him to be a run blocker.

1. your eyes can be subjective as well. See Kwame Harris. Harris did a decent job for the most part. But he would get a penalty on a key play or 2 and people would say he suck. When in fact on 55ish plays he played decent but all we want to see are those couple bad ones.

2. I agree with this.

How is this targets a silly argument? It is the SAME EXACT ARGUMENT that was made for Vernon Davis not putting up numbers. The argument was he isn't being used properly. He needs to be thrown to such and such amount of times. As far as routes and sh*t go he's being used the same exact way he's always been used just with more opportunity.

So how can it be good enough for an excuse. But not looked at as a result?

Ah you people!

Kz!

Quote:

Kz!

You added nothing because the argument in which you jumped in the middle of and quoted. FOR THE LAST TIME WAS ABOUT THE 09 ALL PRO TEAM.

Again, try to think outside of your box. My comment added to the topic of the thread. It's not hard to understand...

Again, try to think outside of your box. My comment added to the topic of the thread. It's not hard to understand...

I don't know about adding to the topic, but the two of you sure are adding to the length. Your last post probably ran close to 2 feet in length.

But back to topic. I think it is unfair to say that Dallas Clark cannot block. They pass much more than they rush, so he isn't asked to block very frequently, but he does block. Reggie Wayne blocks, Austin Collie blocks, Donald Brown blocks. The entire team (except Manning ) blocks. He may not block as well and Davis, but he does block.

And as far as catching is concerned, I have been looking for stats that would show their catch to targeted ratio. I think that would be an informative stat, but I'm not finding any of those numbers from any reliable sources. I'm typically of the opinion that a player should let his play do the talking. I've never liked it when a player talks about how he is the best this or that, or that he deserves something more than someone else, or any of that. I don't care how talented they are, or even if what they are saying is true, I think they should just be quiet and play.
Share 49ersWebzone