There are 287 users in the forums

49ers Return to London 2013

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

#49ers potentially could play two of the teams set to host a game in London next year. A look at their 2014 sked...

http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/1bc07e5d-3722-4674-84ca-3a7d417b4841/?source=twitter

won't happen only one bye week

Read it.
Originally posted by pd24:

#49ers potentially could play two of the teams set to host a game in London next year. A look at their 2014 sked...

http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/1bc07e5d-3722-4674-84ca-3a7d417b4841/?source=twitter

Read it.

No
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Read it.

No
Ok, then your statement is off topic.
Lol they should take away the game against the Raiders scheduled to be in Oakland

- prevents murders
- prevents sewage

Read it.

No

lol
Jed's dad being head if the NFL's international committee probably is why the Niners always are in the running for these games...so long as the team doesn't lose home games and it makes the BYE week conveniently right in the middle if the season (week 9) I have no problem with it, especially if it helps build team cohesion over a couple weeks (usually the team plays an east coast team the week before, fly straight to London afterwards, and have the BYE after that).
The 49ers own England. They love it when we play over there. They loved watching Montana play preseason games out there in the 80's, and they still love us today. Just watch the sea of red envolop Wimbley stadium here in a few weeks when we crush the Jags out there.

I think there is a hell of a good chance we end up playing the Raiders out there next season before the bye. It's a win-win for the league - send their hottest overseas export out for more exposure, and eliminate the chance of more uneccesary violence if the game were played domesticallly.
Yeah as soon as I seen 3 NFL games and seen Oakland and then Atlanta I thought oh no we could be going back. We would play Atlanta if we finish in the same place as them in the division. I think since we played twice and a lot of teams haven't played once we shouldn't have to go again next year but I could see us playing Oakland over there since there would be a far less chance of an incident happening over there. So don't be surprised if we play Oakland over there. Some of you are taking it the wrong way... we would play once over there not twice. He just meant we have a greater chance since we could play 2 teams that will play in London.
Hello everyone. Any news about the delivery date of the tickets for the Jaguars game ? See you all in London in two weeks !
Originally posted by zillabeast:
The 49ers own England. They love it when we play over there. They loved watching Montana play preseason games out there in the 80's, and they still love us today. Just watch the sea of red envolop Wimbley stadium here in a few weeks when we crush the Jags out there.

I think there is a hell of a good chance we end up playing the Raiders out there next season before the bye. It's a win-win for the league - send their hottest overseas export out for more exposure, and eliminate the chance of more uneccesary violence if the game were played domesticallly.

While it's true that there's a lot of us British 9er fans about, I wouldn't say we're the most popular here. Among the most popular, sure, but traditionally it's the Dolphins (the older lot) and Pats (the younger ones) who have had the most fans. We're on par with the Steelers, Cowboys
, Giants, Broncos, and Ravens in terms of popularity. In that 2010 game vs the Broncos, Wembley was quiet and definitely not a sea of red - if you don't count the little SF flags they handed out on entry. Everyone wore their own favourite team's jersey and mostly chatted to their mates. It didn't help that it was a terrible game between two terrible teams (at the time)This year it's supposed to be a Jaguar home game, so don't be surprised to see people waving little Jaguar flags, or towels, or whatever they hand out to us. The neutrals will wave them, after all British people are supposed to be polite.

The typical British 9er fan is like me - in his 40s. That decade of suckage did nothing to get new blood in. That should change if Kaepernick plays like "Kaepernick", as the younger fans understand it - lots of running, lots of deep bombs, lots of fastballs. I'm not saying he should - making sure of the W is more important, even against Jacksonville - but that's one way to get reinforcements.

Originally posted by paulk205:
While it's true that there's a lot of us British 9er fans about, I wouldn't say we're the most popular here. Among the most popular, sure, but traditionally it's the Dolphins (the older lot) and Pats (the younger ones) who have had the most fans. We're on par with the Steelers, Cowboys
, Giants, Broncos, and Ravens in terms of popularity. In that 2010 game vs the Broncos, Wembley was quiet and definitely not a sea of red - if you don't count the little SF flags they handed out on entry. Everyone wore their own favourite team's jersey and mostly chatted to their mates. It didn't help that it was a terrible game between two terrible teams (at the time)This year it's supposed to be a Jaguar home game, so don't be surprised to see people waving little Jaguar flags, or towels, or whatever they hand out to us. The neutrals will wave them, after all British people are supposed to be polite.

The typical British 9er fan is like me - in his 40s. That decade of suckage did nothing to get new blood in. That should change if Kaepernick plays like "Kaepernick", as the younger fans understand it - lots of running, lots of deep bombs, lots of fastballs. I'm not saying he should - making sure of the W is more important, even against Jacksonville - but that's one way to get reinforcements.

Wembley quiet?!!!

Dude I was there. Yes there was a sea of colours as always, all teams being represented. But I watched the game on TV afterwards as well and my experience confirmed what the presenters said at the time.

Wembley roared for the 49ers. We gave them better support than they got that year at Candlestick.
Very quiet, even compared to Candlestick The Library (a place that I have only considered "loud" during the 2012 NO playoff game). I was at Wembley too
. I was also at the Library that year for the NO regular season MNF game and it got a bit noisy during that game-tying Alex drive and the 2-pt conversion. Noisier than Wembley.

Look, I'm not blaming anyone here: we sucked golf balls in 2010-1. We were, what, 1-6 in that Wembley game? With Troy bloody Smith as QB, and getting outplayed most of the game by bleedin' Orton of all people? It was only after that crazy pass to Delanie that the crowd woke up a bit.

I love this team enough to take crazy multi-thousand mile trips every year to watch them play (and watch them lose, until recently). But loud fans we are not. Let's admit that. Forget Seattle and that specially-designed acoustic cavity. We're less loud than every other stadium I've been in (and I've been in a few by now, as a neutral as well), barring St Louis (pathetic, not to mention that we outnumbered them when I was there) and Philly (when it only gets loud when they boo their own team - I know, what I'm talking about, I'm a crazy Phillies fan as well). It's certainly fun that I get to watch the team play here as well, but the Wembley game is always too much of a festival experience to count as a real home advantage for any team. It doesn't help that we tend to get either blowouts (barring that Saints-Chargers game in 08), and/or horrible teams not wanting to be here (like the Pitt-Minny Toilet Bowl earlier this season).
[ Edited by paulk205 on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:54 AM ]
You must have been seated in a quiet spot. Even the American TV commentators commented on the loudness of the SF support.
Perhaps. Club level somewhere. Anyway, let's see this year. I don't expect any real Jaguar support of course.
what do you think, how many people will come from abroad? i have the impression that a lot will come over from germany/austia/switzerland to support the 9ers.
and do you english guys have your tickets already? still waiting for mine and getting nervous
Share 49ersWebzone