LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

our safeties get no respect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our safeties are one of our better squads out on the field, they literally were all over the place. For those who still believe we need to replace Lewis and get rid of Roman. Look at these stats.

Mark Roman had an excellent season as a role player, he accounted for 46 solo takles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and an interception. Does anyone remember when he returned the interception, he showed some nice moves.

Michael Lewis had a similar season to Roman's. He looked comfortable out on the field. He had 71 solo tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and an interception.

Dashon Goldson had a pro bowl year and I don't care what anyone else thinks. He was second on our team with 76 solo tackles and also had 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. This guy is a monster and he is only starting to get comfortable playing with in our system.

So our safeties combined for all together 193 tackles 12 forced turnovers and 4 sacks on the season.

[ Edited by insanemike27 on Jan 24, 2010 at 05:12:23 ]
Roman played alot better in a backup role

Goldson looked amazing

Lewis is a great tackler, but a libability in coverage.

Reggie Smith I still have high hopes for from whta i saw of him in the pre-season
where he had two pics in one game.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Lewis is getting old and can't afford to lose a step to begin with. I've loved this guy, as he tackles like a linebacker but we need to groom his replacment.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by insanemike27:
Our safeties are one of our better squads out on the field, they literally were all over the place. For those who still believe we need to replace Lewis and get rid of Roman. Look at these stats.

Mark Roman had an excellent season as a role player, he accounted for 46 solo takles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble and an interception. Does anyone remember when he returned the interception, he showed some nice moves.

Michael Lewis had a similar season to Roman's. He looked comfortable out on the field. He had 71 solo tackles, 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and an interception.

Dashon Goldson had a pro bowl year and I don't care what anyone else thinks. He was second on our team with 76 solo tackles and also had 2 sacks, 3 forced fumbles and 4 interceptions. This guy is a monster and he is only starting to get comfortable playing with in our system.

So our safeties combined for all together 193 tackles 12 forced turnovers and 4 sacks on the season.

LOL Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safeety in the league. As in dead last better than NOBODY. I'm at work so i can't look up Lewis and Roman. But I'm betting they too are in the red in overall performance.

You have to also look at the plays they give up. Can't just look at the few plays they made.
goldson is the real deal, now if we some how get eric berry to play with goldson that would be awesome lol
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Goldson played well but not pro-bowl level, Lewis is awful in coverage but great in run support, Roman sucks but is an OK backup.

We need a replacement for Lewis, he is aging and is a liability in the passing game.
21st ranked pass defense isn't going to earn any safety any respect. Pass coverage is still a liability for the safeties on this team.
Originally posted by krizay:

LOL Goldson was statistically the worst coverage safeety in the league. As in dead last better than NOBODY. I'm at work so i can't look up Lewis and Roman. But I'm betting they too are in the red in overall performance.

You have to also look at the plays they give up. Can't just look at the few plays they made.

What you got against Goldson!?!

Originally posted by amir_tn80:
21st ranked pass defense isn't going to earn any safety any respect. Pass coverage is still a liability for the safeties on this team.

Bingo.

We gave up huge yardage through the air and only tightened once we were in the red zone. Maybe it's a tradeoff between giving up yardage through the air versus yardage on the ground? I'm not sure.

I will say though that the recent motions of finding a replacement for Lewis are not because of his poor play, but because of the recent concussions that he has suffered.

-9fA
This year was Roman's swan song. Lewis needed to have an understudy 2 years ago and Goldson is the real deal. Reggie can't stay healthy enough to even get on the field. We need someone who is durable and has some speed. NOT Taylor Mays. He is another of those tweeners who can't really play well at either position. He is too slow and stiff to play ss in the NFL and too small to play linebacker.

Originally posted by smashmouth51:
This year was Roman's swan song. Lewis needed to have an understudy 2 years ago and Goldson is the real deal. Reggie can't stay healthy enough to even get on the field. We need someone who is durable and has some speed. NOT Taylor Mays. He is another of those tweeners who can't really play well at either position. He is too slow and stiff to play ss in the NFL and too small to play linebacker.

good post. I agree with everything you said. I really hope we don't bring Roman back though even if he played well as a backup im just tired of seeing him.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:

Nothing actually. He just needs to be more of a run stopper than in coverage.

Drafting a FS and moving Goldson to SS would be a good start.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by smashmouth51:

good post. I agree with everything you said. I really hope we don't bring Roman back though even if he played well as a backup im just tired of seeing him.

I dont understand this logic... If he does well as a backup safety why would we cut him? You'd rather have somebody in there who is worse?
Mark Roman cost us a game so dont ever tell me hes good.
Originally posted by pelos21:

Nothing actually. He just needs to be more of a run stopper than in coverage.

Drafting a FS and moving Goldson to SS would be a good start.

That would be ideal, if there were more good FA linemen out there, I wouldn't be against trading up for Berry, he'd be an awesome FS.
Share 49ersWebzone