There are 184 users in the forums

The Alex Smith Experiment - Uncharted Territory?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So we've watched Alex Smith ever since he was drafted in 2005.

2005 = Terrible season, though expected for a rookie.
2006 = Vast improvement over rookie season. Still had a way to go, but improvement.
2007 = Battled through injuries before being placed on IR.
2008 = Injured all year.
2009 = Made a comeback and looked like at least a decent NFL QB
2010 and beyond = Unknown if he's a starting QB or merely a serviceable QB

Alex's career in San Francisco has been unusual, even by NFL standards. 5 different coordinators and 2 huge injuries in 2007 & 2008.

But the STRANGEST part about his career is that the 49ers have had patience and faith in him. In thinking of QBs drafted in the first round that didn't pan out (David Carr, Ryan Leaf, Kyle Boller, etc.), it seems like they only made it to the 3rd or 4th year and the team moved on.

Can you guys think of ANY other QB situation in which the QB made it so far into their contract and still have a shot at being the starter? Because I can't...

I don't think it's our organization being foolish or anything. I simply think that the organization realizes that 2 season-ending injuries and 5 different QBs could ruin a QB. Had Alex not been injured in 2007 and 2008, I think we would've known what we had at QB, and would've planned appropriately.

Or do you think it was us being stubborn, not willing to admit there was a chance we made a mistake?

OR... do you think it was that we didn't have a great alternative? We tried, unsuccessfully to bring in a veteran QB, and drafting a rookie might've taken some time to produce results.

another Alex Smith thread..
could you beat this dead horse any harder?
Its definitely unchartered territory. We're going to find out what he can do with a better OLine, and with 2 years in the same system, with time to work with his weapons. I think that's going to be enough for him to succeed personally.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Its definitely unchartered territory. We're going to find out what he can do with a better OLine, and with 2 years in the same system, with time to work with his weapons. I think that's going to be enough for him to succeed personally.

2005 - Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle, Rasheed Marshall, Otis Amey

Nuff Said

2010 - Michael Crabtree, Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill

[ Edited by Psinex on Jan 23, 2010 at 02:06:46 ]

Personally, improved WRs, better Defense, Better OL, and the same OC should be enough for even the crappiest QBs to improve. I don't care about improvement anymore, just get the damn TDs when we need them.

Let's beat this horse some more.
Cant think of an exactly similar situation at all,Vince Young almost but anyway,Alex will do just fine,if not,Nate will set the league on fire i'm predicting...
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
could you beat this dead horse any harder?

of course, it's a zombie horse.

Smith
In 2010, give Smith the ball to start the season, and this time let him call some more plays at the line. Blitz is coming, let him change up that play, so he can use the opposing defenses speed against them. A few last minute changes before the snap, can make a broken play or a sack, a first down. This is why Manning is so hard to beat. Give him full reign, and let him prove himself all the way. He is smart, let him use all his strengths, and the reason we drafted him #1. He called a few successful audibles this last season, when he got the chance. Let him make this HIS offense. Of course if he fails, there is no more possible excuses.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
In 2010, give Smith the ball to start the season, and this time let him call some more plays at the line. Blitz is coming, let him change up that play, so he can use the opposing defenses speed against them. A few last minute changes before the snap, can make a broken play or a sack, a first down. This is why Manning is so hard to beat. Give him full reign, and let him prove himself all the way. He is smart, let him use all his strengths, and the reason we drafted him #1. He called a few successful audibles this last season, when he got the chance. Let him make this HIS offense. Of course if he fails, there is no more possible excuses.

Smith isn't going to be the problem next year. I'm going to guess it might be our secondary and pass rush or even the offensive line.

Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by TheCatch:

Smith isn't going to be the problem next year. I'm going to guess it might be our secondary and pass rush or even the offensive line.

I agree with you here I feel the Oline again unless we adress it with the draft but knowing mcckuess he will take a turd
Originally posted by Joecool:

Personally, improved WRs, better Defense, Better OL, and the same OC should be enough for even the crappiest QBs to improve. I don't care about improvement anymore, just get the damn TDs when we need them.

True, if Smith doesn't improve, I'm going to be very disappointed.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:

another Alex Smith thread..
I think Kevin Lynch nailed it:

Quote:
The bottom line - even without Tebow, the quarterback position might be in much better shape than many think. Even though Singletary's support of Alex Smith was tepid after the season, the 49ers will likely have him as the starter heading into training camp and say what you will about Smith, he has improved every year he's had a chance to perform.

Just something to consider - Smith threw 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions last year. Does anyone believe that his TD-int ratio will go down next season with a full training camp and a second year with the same offense and the same receivers, particularly Michael Crabtree? So lets say in a full season he'll throw 23 or 24 touchdowns and keep his interceptions at 12 or less, that should be enough for a fairly successful passing game. Then throw in an even better defense and a tough-minded running game and now you can seriously talk playoffs.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=55860#ixzz0dSJrEbvK
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Joecool:

True, if Smith doesn't improve, I'm going to be very disappointed.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone