LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 135 users in the forums

fire the OL coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's hard to believe Baas and Rachal are really bad. They are not good however they are both talented (2nd round picks) and have the ability to be solid. Staley was good when he was in but again, we have a 1st round pick and 2 second round guards that cannot block well at all....especially the guards.

We need to fire the OL coach as well as get 1 or 2 guys in there that can pass and run block. Why do you think the niners have not fired him?
Because, no matter how much almost everyone here seems to think otherwise, firing a position coach does not make the team better.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Because, no matter how much almost everyone here seems to think otherwise, firing a position coach does not make the team better.

How so? If we have talent and a new position coach is 1) a better coach, 2) can get more out of our OL which would be very easy and 3) better coaches usually make better players...position coach or not.
What about the possibility of bringing a former all-Pro Olineman and now ex-OL coach
of the Buffalo Bills to assist and/or take over as the new OL coach = Ray Brown !

Following your logic around, why employ one, then? If getting rid of a less than competent dude and replacing him with a more competent dude won't make the team better, we should sack the lot of them! Wasters!

Huh? That statement is mind-boggling! I guarantee if Bobb McKittrick took over this line, their play would measureably improve adn we'd get at least 2 guys in the pro Bowl. An excellent position coach can do wonders with even average talent as Bobb and others have proven. Mckittrick, through a seance, could do a better job with this line than has been done so far.
Yes, I say fire Forester. The poor line play is not just his fault though. It's also Jimmy Raye's fault........therefore, Singletary's fault for hiring Raye.

G-tech, please enlighten us...

somehow my brain isn't quite wrapping around the concept of better coaching not making the team better, but I'm sure there's an interesting explanation.
Originally posted by Yetiman:

G-tech, please enlighten us...

somehow my brain isn't quite wrapping around the concept of better coaching not making the team better, but I'm sure there's an interesting explanation.

Guys, he's right. Firing a position coach does not make the team better...

Hiring a better position coach makes the team better.
Ur title says it all, fire the OL coach.

Honestly, i think the only bad thing about our line is the RT, then maybe the LG and C. But mainly RT.

Originally posted by elguapo:

How so? If we have talent and a new position coach is 1) a better coach, 2) can get more out of our OL which would be very easy and 3) better coaches usually make better players...position coach or not.

How does firing one guy automatically = any of those things?
Being a 1st or 2nd rounder does not mean you are NFL talented. It only means somebody thought you would be.

Have you seen Foerester's resume? -This guy sucks
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Huh? That statement is mind-boggling! I guarantee if Bobb McKittrick took over this line, their play would measureably improve adn we'd get at least 2 guys in the pro Bowl. An excellent position coach can do wonders with even average talent as Bobb and others have proven. Mckittrick, through a seance, could do a better job with this line than has been done so far.

You have a shovel and some sort of voodoo ritual that's going to bring him back?

Anyways, I have no idea how any of you judge positions coaches from your couch. It seems like the answer to any player not being good enough is always on his position coach around here. You dont know that McKittrick would have this line playing better than it has. You really don't. Maybe these guys are playing as good as they can?

Anyways that isn't even the point. Firing a position coach (or cutting a player) does not mean the person replacing them is going to be better at the job as the guy you just fired (or cut). Maybe he will be, maybe he wont. With something like an OL coach it's really hard to tell.
Originally posted by English:

Following your logic around, why employ one, then? If getting rid of a less than competent dude and replacing him with a more competent dude won't make the team better, we should sack the lot of them! Wasters!

Following your logic the players dont matter. It's all about the positions coaches. A good position coach can take a garbage player and make him great but a bad one will make someone that should be playing at a high level play like garbage? Please. You people have no idea how good an NFL OL coach is at his job... And neither do I.
Share 49ersWebzone