There are 143 users in the forums

Alex Smith's 16 game 2009 season stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Niners99:
had Smith played a full 16 game season at the level he played this season, his stats would like look this:

327/541 for 3,419 yds and 26 TD's with 17 ints

still obviously an 81.5 QB rating and 60.5% comp%

those passing yards are only about 100 less than Donovan McNabb's season, and are 400 yds more than Carson Palmer haf this year.

the 26 TD passes he was on pace for, wouldve been good for 10th in the NFL, tied with Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, and Kurt Warner.

also the 327 completions wouldve been better than Philip Rivers, and around the 10th-12th best in the league.

this thread isnt meant to be pro or anti Smith, i was curious to see what he was on pace for in a 16 game season, and see how it stacked up against the rest of the NFL. remove his 2 worst games vs AZ and @PHI back to back, his QB rating wouldve been almost 90.0.

im just saying, maybe its time to let go of the number 1 overall disappointment/anger and see what happens. when a full season projection of what you did in 11 games equates to guys like McNabb and Carson Palmer, maybe you should be a bit less critical.

I will admit, those aren't bad stats. The major issues of course are:

* his % completion should be closer to 65% if he even wants to be in the upper half of QBs in the league.
* he has the benefit of playing the worst division in the league, including the last 2 games being against the two worst teams in the league
* some of the harder games were on Shaun Hill's watch.
* Smith's stats are wildly inconsistent from game to game.

Uhhh, I don't think so. Smith played the COLTS(FLAWLESS), BEARS(4-4), JAGS(6-4), EAGLES(9-4) & CARDS(8-4).

Hill played.. the Falcons... and lost... 45-10. Oh and btw, down to the Texans 21-0 at the half.

FYI

No big deal. We all make mistakes. These "projected" stats are crap too. I actually think they would have been higher due to the lack of competition he would have had at the beginning of the year. [/u]
Since it is so necessary to have a billion zillion threads on smith I've decided to just copy paste my post. Call it a media blitz if you will.

Fun Fact,

Alex Smith is 4-1 in home games this season out scoring his opponents 74-24. Not saying this is any indication of whether or not he is going to polish his game to be a top passer but it is a nice start and a pleasant contrast to all the hater jargon.
whats hilarious, is how everyone is so unwilling to accept that maybe Smith could become something good.

i dont even remember such harsh judgments of guys like Tim Rattay, Trent Dilfer, JTO, Hill, etc.

THIS was Smith's real rookie season. not 2005, when he shouldnt have played. he essentially had to start all over again as a pro. you cant really expect him to have stepped in after missing almost 2 whole years, and take a stranglehold on the future QB position. i guess its unacceptable for a guy out 2 years to be a bit rusty through his first 11 games back?

hold your judgment until week 17 next season.
whats hilarious, is how everyone is so unwilling to accept that maybe Smith could become something good.

i dont even remember such harsh judgments of guys like Tim Rattay, Trent Dilfer, JTO, Hill, etc.

THIS was Smith's real rookie season. not 2005, when he shouldnt have played. he essentially had to start all over again as a pro. you cant really expect him to have stepped in after missing almost 2 whole years, and take a stranglehold on the future QB position. i guess its unacceptable for a guy out 2 years to be a bit rusty through his first 11 games back?

I have come to believe that Smith haters are the ones who were fans of Rattay, JTO, and Hill. That says a lot about them.

I have never claimed Smith is a pro-bowler or will win Superbowls but I have defended him against some of the most unfair and dumb attacks that I see on this board.

When someone says Smith will never improve or is a horrible QB then clearly they can't face reality and see that he has improved and is at least an average NFL right now.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
When he proves he can be a big game QB and bail his team out when he needs to, I'll stop busting his balls.

Otherwise this is all just fantasy football stat fodder.

I'm guessing then you would bash Tony Romo and other young QBs who haven't done that either?

Are you talking about the same Tony Romo who has 9 games this year with a passer rate over 100? The one who killed the Eagles last week?

Is that the same romo who couldn't win in december?

The one who's riding a 3 game win streak right now (a steak that started in the middle of December)?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Good post but you ignore the most important fact.

If Alex Smith were to start 16 games in 2009, our record would be...

8-8

lol

I have come to believe that Smith haters are the ones who were fans of Rattay, JTO, and Hill. That says a lot about them.

I have never claimed Smith is a pro-bowler or will win Superbowls but I have defended him against some of the most unfair and dumb attacks that I see on this board.

When someone says Smith will never improve or is a horrible QB then clearly they can't face reality and see that he has improved and is at least an average NFL right now.

Taney, your alright in my book.

The only beef I have with you is you don't seem to place any fault on Alex for where he's at in his career. True, he was injured and true he has had multiple coordinators; however, Alex could have done a few things differently himself...

If he wasn't ready to play after injury, he needs to man up and say so. If he doesn't know the system because of coordinator changes he needs to make it known so he doesn't drag down the team.

Alex may have been dealt a bad hand; but, he hasn't done himself many favors and the management you like to blame for where Alex is at has shown a lot more trust and faith in Alex than most here on the zone.

Lets give every rookie 10 years to develop. Lets see how that works out.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Good post but you ignore the most important fact.

If Alex Smith were to start 16 games in 2009, our record would be...

8-8

lol

yea, both QBs were 0.500 this season. Offensive inconsistency. Just need two more wins next year

When someone says Smith will never improve or is a horrible QB then clearly they can't face reality and see that he has improved and is at least an average NFL right now.[/quote]

That's the problem. Nobody wants someone that peaks out as an average QB.

Smith haters are the ones who see he'll never be anything special.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Lets give every rookie 10 years to develop. Lets see how that works out.

Championship!
Share 49ersWebzone