There are 230 users in the forums

Alex Smith's 16 game 2009 season stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Stretching his stats to a 16 game season looks nice, but he still didn't actually do it. Lets see his REAL stats over 14-16 games next season. If they are good, then lets congratulate him.

Even though Alex's stats were decent this season, he played very inconsistently. He looked good sometimes. But at other times, he looked terrible.

I hope we get some better play calling next season!! Go Niners!
  • dj43
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Well, its the final year under Mr.Smith in 2010 and he has to get us into the play-offs next year.

i agree, 2010 is Smith's do-or-die season. maybe it should be, maybe not, but either way, it will be.

honestly though i dont think he has to take us to the playoffs to keep his job. our team is set up for the D to take us, and the offense to put 24 some pts on the board every week.

if Smith has a much improved season, and shows he can make more leaps to being a better QB, i think he stays. he was about the 18 or 19th best QB this season, but it really could be alot worse. i think he needs to step up to the 10-15 range at worst to be worth holding on to, but i think he can manage that.
It could be a lot better as well.

I know Smith gets far too much time here in the 'zone but a full off-season of work for the receivers will help them as much as it will help Smith. In addition to leading the league in drops, the number of inconsistent routes and routes run two yards short of the first down marker, all signs of inexperienced receivers, were crushers for an offense that did not do well.
He can easily achieve these stats. He needs to be more consistent, stop throwing high (to avoid those tipped INTs) and the teams needs to get better run blocking (to work that playaction).

Get the INTs down, completion percentage up, and yards per attempt up and we'll be in the post season. Now, smith can spend the offseason working on those thing rather than learning the offense.
I think considering Smith was once again in a new system and came off major injuries did pretty good. He had a VAST improvement over what he was and that is what matters. I gotta believe that we will see more improvement with another year in the same system. We have playmakers now and with a little fine tuning, O-LINE help this team should be a 10-12 game winner next season. They have absolutely turned the corner and showed they can play with almost anybody. Shoulda coulda games that we lost.... COLTS, VIKES.... They gotta learn how to close these types of games. Both teams considered very good and we almost shoulda, coulda won in their house. This team is closer than most think.

Prediction - Smith next season: 3700 yards passing, 28 TD's, 16 int's and 7.1 YPP
This should get him in the top 8-12 range in QB's and that should be good enough with a strong defense and solid play from Gore, Davis, Crabby and the O-Line.
Originally posted by brhokla:
I think considering Smith was once again in a new system and came off major injuries did pretty good. He had a VAST improvement over what he was and that is what matters. I gotta believe that we will see more improvement with another year in the same system. We have playmakers now and with a little fine tuning, O-LINE help this team should be a 10-12 game winner next season. They have absolutely turned the corner and showed they can play with almost anybody. Shoulda coulda games that we lost.... COLTS, VIKES.... They gotta learn how to close these types of games. Both teams considered very good and we almost shoulda, coulda won in their house. This team is closer than most think.

Prediction - Smith next season: 3700 yards passing, 28 TD's, 16 int's and 7.1 YPP
This should get him in the top 8-12 range in QB's and that should be good enough with a strong defense and solid play from Gore, Davis, Crabby and the O-Line.

I would prefer he has 3300 yards, 18 TD's, 5 INT's and 7+ YPC. That won't get him into top 10 but it gives him a damn good QB Rating meaning that our offense ran very efficiently and very balanced.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I would prefer he has 3300 yards, 18 TD's, 5 INT's and 7+ YPC. That won't get him into top 10 but it gives him a damn good QB Rating meaning that our offense ran very efficiently and very balanced.

The yards show that he threw alot and that the team ran in the endzone. That would be nice but our oline would have to improve a lot for that to happen.
Originally posted by taney71:

The yards show that he threw alot and that the team ran in the endzone. That would be nice but our oline would have to improve a lot for that to happen.

It could also mean we ran the ball VERY well between the 20's with Alex throwing to move the chains and the passing TD's to Rushing TD's were almost split. His efficiency with the less yards also means our TOP was greater as both Smith and Gore got their touches.
Originally posted by taney71:

It could also mean we ran the ball VERY well between the 20's with Alex throwing to move the chains and the passing TD's to Rushing TD's were almost split. His efficiency with the less yards also means our TOP was greater as both Smith and Gore got their touches.

I think another RB would have to emerge to give Gore some rest especially if we are moving the ball in the redzone. Can Coffee be the answer?
(With Singletary dialing back the offense, Alex averaged only 193 yards per game over the last 4 games of the season.)

For 2010, I predict:

3,200 yards
24 touchdowns
16 interceptions

62% completions
9-10 wins (without looking at the schedule)
Lose in the 1st round of the playoffs
Originally posted by swim4speed:
(With Singletary dialing back the offense, Alex averaged only 193 yards per game over the last 4 games of the season.)

For 2010, I predict:

3,200 yards
24 touchdowns
16 interceptions

62% completions
9-10 wins (without looking at the schedule)
Lose in the 1st round of the playoffs

If Smith's receivers have less drops I'd say he could be in the 65% completion range easy.

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
OK, here we go...how about these 16 game stats:

Percentage: 62.8
Yards: 4,092
Average per completion: 7.1
Touchdowns: 26
Interceptions: 16
Rating: 87.5

Can you guess who started 8 games and if those 8 games were projected to 16, these would be his stats?

2008 "Noodle Arm" in an offense that concentrated on his strengths.

Consider this thread defunked.

That was in a Martz offense...how is that a fair comparison?

-9fA

It's not, but I'm just saying one cannot project stats, especially when those stats are from really good games and really bad games. It's just too inconsistent.

Also, you're right, it isn't Martz offense, so what makes us think Raye can turn a terrible offense that had more talent than last year into one better than Martz can. Even if Alex plays better, I think Raye is a mediocre style of OC who doesn't work hard enough to get his players prepared.

I definitely agree with your first paragraph. I just didn't understand that the point that you were trying to make. I think the OP knows that it's not a good idea to extrapolate statistics.

I feel that the issue is not the offense, it's the playcalling. For example, in Hostler's case, it was clearly the offense.

Often times, there were several WTF Martz playcalls last year as well until Singletary reeled him in. I'm hoping now that Smith will be able to reach a comfort level with the offense, that he'll be given a little more leeway in determining the plays that are suitable to be run. Whether this will happen or not, who knows..

-9fA

I just don't think Raye will be the reason why this team wins. I feel we win in Spite of Raye. It just doesn't seem like he prepares or studies much. Most of his interviews always point to, "Let us see what happens in the game and we will make adjustments from there." That's a mediocre mentality and it's a lazy mentality. I really hope Singletary is prepping our QB coach to take over. Raye deserves his respect but I think he lacks the energy to prepare this offense to be a top rated offense.

I seem to remember you Smith haters being ready to crown Hill last year, so is it a double standard?
Originally posted by boomer49er:

Can you guess who started 8 games and if those 8 games were projected to 16, these would be his stats?

-9fA

It's not, but I'm just saying one cannot project stats, especially when those stats are from really good games and really bad games. It's just too inconsistent.

Also, you're right, it isn't Martz offense, so what makes us think Raye can turn a terrible offense that had more talent than last year into one better than Martz can. Even if Alex plays better, I think Raye is a mediocre style of OC who doesn't work hard enough to get his players prepared.

I definitely agree with your first paragraph. I just didn't understand that the point that you were trying to make. I think the OP knows that it's not a good idea to extrapolate statistics.

I feel that the issue is not the offense, it's the playcalling. For example, in Hostler's case, it was clearly the offense.

Often times, there were several WTF Martz playcalls last year as well until Singletary reeled him in. I'm hoping now that Smith will be able to reach a comfort level with the offense, that he'll be given a little more leeway in determining the plays that are suitable to be run. Whether this will happen or not, who knows..

-9fA

I just don't think Raye will be the reason why this team wins. I feel we win in Spite of Raye. It just doesn't seem like he prepares or studies much. Most of his interviews always point to, "Let us see what happens in the game and we will make adjustments from there." That's a mediocre mentality and it's a lazy mentality. I really hope Singletary is prepping our QB coach to take over. Raye deserves his respect but I think he lacks the energy to prepare this offense to be a top rated offense.

I seem to remember you Smith haters being ready to crown Hill last year, so is it a double standard?

I could use an excuse and say what if Raye does the run-run-pass offense next year as Hill converted from Martz passing to Raye's run-run-pass (Hill got snubbed) but I will just say that the "Smith Haters" are using our incorrect projection of Hill to be a lesson that stats don't project until they are logged in as official.
Regarding dropped passes:

Davis will continue to drop many passes. He is NOT a natural pass catcher.
Crabtree will probably improve a little, but I bet he still drops at least 8 next season.
Originally posted by boomer49er:

-9fA

-9fA

I could use an excuse and say what if Raye does the run-run-pass offense next year as Hill converted from Martz passing to Raye's run-run-pass (Hill got snubbed) but I will just say that the "Smith Haters" are using our incorrect projection of Hill to be a lesson that stats don't project until they are logged in as official.

So you're using the fact that Hill had to change offenses as the reason why he failed? Yet you ignore the fast that Smith has changed offenses every year and that this will be the first year that he's had the oppertunity to spend an entire offseason in the same offense that he had ran the year prior?
This 2010 season will be his last chance to make or break his career in San Fran, unless of course he gets injured, then everyone will give him 4-5 more seasons.
[ Edited by JohnnyMo49 on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone