There are 186 users in the forums

use of the roll out on long pas to crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
niners havent called nearly as many long pass plays as they did under turner.....the crabtree play vs detroit was only one of a few I remeber this year...

it worked in part, it seems, because raye had the qb roll out, eliminating the need for the oline to pass block long enough to let a receiver work downfield...

im not sure why this strategy hasnt been implemented more this year with the oline troubles
It's simple. B/c Alex plays out of the shotgun so much it takes away that play. no need to be rolling out if you are in the shotgun formation.
Because Singletary and Raye are bad for the offense. You're right, more roll-outs should have been called, all season long.

BTW, Alex waaaaaaaay underthrew that pass! Short by about 8 yards. Crabtree had wait and just about call for a fair catch. (not that the pass was punt-like. It was just way short.)
Alex can make that pass. He's done it before (see 06). This kind of stuff (timing, anticipation, etc) takes reps, reps, and more reps.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Alex can make that pass. He's done it before (see 06). This kind of stuff (timing, anticipation, etc) takes reps, reps, and more reps.

Agree. We need to see alot more of this next year for sure.
It worked because everybody (including myself) expected a run when Morgan was motioned to chip block.

Edit: I give Raye a lot of credit for the design.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Dec 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM ]
Originally posted by hofer36:
niners havent called nearly as many long pass plays as they did under turner.....the crabtree play vs detroit was only one of a few I remeber this year...

it worked in part, it seems, because raye had the qb roll out, eliminating the need for the oline to pass block long enough to let a receiver work downfield...

im not sure why this strategy hasnt been implemented more this year with the oline troubles

We have run the roll out several times this year, and almost every time Smith was met in the backfield by a defender for a sack!

Just because it worked against Detroit doesn't mean that our team is deceptive enough to run it against good teams... Simply put, we need work on the O-line.
The team should have a board for suggested plays. Just email Jimmy Raye your ideas and see what happens. I'm sure it would go over like a lead balloon.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
The team should have a board for suggested plays. Just email Jimmy Raye your ideas and see what happens. I'm sure it would go over like a lead balloon.

jimmy doest know email. he only knows the pony express.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
It worked because everybody (including myself) expected a run when Morgan was motioned to chip block.

-9fA

I agree, however when did he come up with that design? After the run version of that play failed miserably in meaningful games? Then he changes it up against the Lions of all teams?

Just seems like the innovation showed up a little late. Hopefully he has the capacity to adapt when drawing up the original gameplan rather than halftime when the game is all but lost.

Originally posted by swim4speed:
Because Singletary and Raye are bad for the offense. You're right, more roll-outs should have been called, all season long.

BTW, Alex waaaaaaaay underthrew that pass! Short by about 8 yards. Crabtree had wait and just about call for a fair catch. (not that the pass was punt-like. It was just way short.)

He threw the ball 50 frkin yards. Why doesn't anyone realize that 50 yrds is pretty damn good? It wasn't under thrown, it was late. Im sure it was Smith's fault because he shoulda got it out earlier, but the guy doesn't have the noodle arm many of you like to say he does.

JQ

Ummm no, it was not short, if anything it might have been thrown a little too far in front, crabtree had to bobble it to catch it, that does not happen if it is short.
Don't forget about the game a few weeks ago. The one Alex totally undrewthrew a WIDE open deep ball to Crabtree where Crabtree had to make a great catch while falling to the ground. Thrown on stride, it would have been a TD.

NOTE: Alex also threw him a perfect corner 20-yarder that went right threw his arms. However, it seems he's still having a lot of trouble hitting the guys when they are running straight upfield.
Originally posted by jayb49er:

Ummm no, it was not short, if anything it might have been thrown a little too far in front, crabtree had to bobble it to catch it, that does not happen if it is short.

Watch a replay. It was very very under thrown.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I agree, however when did he come up with that design? After the run version of that play failed miserably in meaningful games? Then he changes it up against the Lions of all teams?

Just seems like the innovation showed up a little late. Hopefully he has the capacity to adapt when drawing up the original gameplan rather than halftime when the game is all but lost.

The play worked as it did because other opponents had seen footage of the play. Every other time that we've motioned Morgan to chip the DE, it's been a run.

The Lions (most likely) weren't expecting the pass and they were fooled when they saw it was playaction with Crabtree streaking down the field and Smith rolling out.

IMO, the play worked more so because they weren't expecting the pass.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone