LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 354 users in the forums

Could Manny Lawson be an ILB next to Willis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
no. the other MLB in this system (spikes) generally plays more of a fullback type role where you get rid of a blocker and free up the space for the other MLB (willis) to make the play. i read that about Manusky's defense a while ago. pretty interesting. but anways, you need a stocky guy for that.. like spikes or mckillop.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I'm very disapointed with Manny's performance this year.

wtf?? why?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

9th best among 3-4 OLB's this season. above average in pass rushing, coverage, run stuffing, 0 penalties, 4th in stops, 6th in QB hits, 6th in tackles, 10th in pressures, 11th in sacks. hes having a great season...

his only downside this year has been missed tackles, which hes had 5.

Lawson is NOT "above average in pass rushing"! He's good against the run, but horrible at getting after the QB.

wtf?? why?

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OLB4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

9th best among 3-4 OLB's this season. above average in pass rushing, coverage, run stuffing, 0 penalties, 4th in stops, 6th in QB hits, 6th in tackles, 10th in pressures, 11th in sacks. hes having a great season...

According to these guys, VD is ranked 53rd in the league.......
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

I'm even more disappointed in Pary's. Where Manny (in the past) has never shown he can get after the QB consistently, Pary's has....and he came up WAY short of what was expected of him this year.
  • buck
  • Veteran

wtf?? why?

Lawson is no longer the question. He has risen to the challenge.

Who has more sacks this Lawson or Haralson? Lawson has 5, Haralson 4.
Originally posted by Blitz:

I'm even more disappointed in Pary's. Where Manny (in the past) has never shown he can get after the QB consistently, Pary's has....and he came up WAY short of what was expected of him this year.

Unless he has some kind of record day against STL then he didn't get close to even coming half way to his projected sack total.
Originally posted by buck:

wtf?? why?

Lawson is no longer the question. He has risen to the challenge.

Who has more sacks this Lawson or Haralson? Lawson has 5, Haralson 4.

Lawson has 5.5 with less attempts at getting to the QB
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sure, it happens all the time on 3-4 defenses. All 4 LBers in the 3-4 should be interchangeable, just like the two safety positions and CB's. The issue is that we don't run a real 3-4 defense. We use the TED position as a "defensive fullback" so that Willis is free to roam.

Lawson's weakness, despite the obvious, in the pass rush, is shedding blockers though he has played much better up at the LOS this year. Pass rushing isn't much different in that you must be able read and react, shed blockers and explode. If you want to watch something comical, go back and watch Manny against Philly. I don't think he got within 15 feet of the QB the whole game. Playing inside, he'd have to crash the FB, TE, guards, throw them to the side and fill gaps and at 6'6", he is just too tall to take advantage of the low-man-wins fact. He isn't very quick either so straight up, he's going to get owned.

That said, his strengths do include lateral speed and coverage "could" be a strength of his IF that becomes his FT focus as an ILB. He would be ideal in covering TE's & RB's exclusively off the LOS instead of having to use a CB.

NCommand - Thank you for the explanation, instead of just saying "NO"... cheers
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Blitz:

Unless he has some kind of record day against STL then he didn't get close to even coming half way to his projected sack total.

I consider him most disappointing player of this year. Don't get me wrong here...he has played well and should be starting...but he has not lived up to his "up and coming" expectations this year.
No, don't think so.

• Chief
  • Veteran
Lawson is a very solid OLB that is getting better, no reason to change that. Next year just rotate Brooks in on both sides on all passing downs.

wtf?? why?

Also coming off a major injure that takes atleast 2 season to full recover from. Personally manny lawson has done great i expected about half as much production from him. Now fully healthy next season i expect big things from him.
Originally posted by AKfanster:

wtf?? why?

According to these guys, VD is ranked 53rd in the league.......

what does that have to do with factual stats? their formula states that VD is actually a heavy liability in every area besides scoring TD's. hes ranked 53rd because he leads the NFL in penalties among non OL, leads the NFL in dropped passes, and has performed terrible in run blocking this year.

you may disagree with the number they produce with their formula, but the stats i posted about Lawson are factual. you cant argue the fact that Lawson is ranked 4th in stops, 6th in QB hits, 6th in tackles, 10th in pressures, 11th in sacks among ALL 3-4 OLB's.

those are facts. you can argue all 3-4 OLB in the NFL arent very good if you want, but thats the only way you can make a case for Lawson not being a good 3-4 OLB.

hes been top 10 in the NFL at his specific position. thats good enough for me. people on this board never look at stats or back anything they say up. they just pull something out of their butt argue it to the death. you can have the opinion that Lawson sucks, but youll just look dumb doing it, since his stats prove otherwise.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:46 PM ]
  • Remmaps
  • Info N/A
WTF, are you serious?
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
No
Share 49ersWebzone