LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Plan B

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Someone please explain to me why it doesn't make sense to draft a QB with one of our top three picks?

I'm not saying Smith is or isn't the answer, but what if he isn't? What is our plan B? Nate Davis? The guy was a total project pick in the 5th round. Sure he looked good in preaseason, but thats preseason and QBs start to look a lot diffrent once enough film is out there for defenses to game plan with. Look at what happened to our vonted high powered spread offense after just a few games.

We have 2 first round picks and a decent 2nd. Obviously if there is a QB to be had we should take him. We need to think bigger than just the here and now as an organization. If Smith works out we extend his contract and trade the rookie for picks or a player. If Smith blows or more likely is mediocre we probably don’t extend him and move on with the rookie who just had a year to sit and observe.

If you weigh the pro's and con's it's a no brainer to draft a QB this year with one of our top three picks. Obviously there has to be someone there worth it, but that’s up to Scotty to determine.

P.S. I am advocating drafting a QB and letting him sit a year behind Alex, not drafting a QB and cutting Alex.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 28, 2009 at 10:52 AM ]
Don't we have a youngster QB sitting, waiting, and learning on the bench in Nate Davis? How many project QB's do we need?
If anything the second round pick but other glaring issues need to be addressed first. I say 2 lineman with the first round picks and with the second a speedy rcvr with punt and kick return capabilities.
When is a QB in the first round a sure thing? Question is whether we want to gamble on a QB again when there are too many other glaring needs that far outweigh a QB at this point. O-line is in desperate need of help, the D-secondary needs some work especially at SS, and we really could use a strong pass rusher. If a solid QB was to drop to the second or third round, I think it may be a good idea but I think out O-line is a priority.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Someone please explain to me why it doesn't make sense to draft a QB with one of our top three picks?

I'm not saying Smith is or isn't the answer, but what if he isn't? What is our plan B? Nate Davis? The guy was a total project pick in the 5th round. Sure he looked good in preaseason, but thats preseason and QBs start to look a lot diffrent once enough film is out there for defenses to game plan with. Look at what happened to our vonted high powered spread offense after just a few games.

We have 2 first round picks and a decent 2nd. Obviosly if there is a QB to be had we should take him. We need to think bigger than just the here and now as an orginazation. If Smith works out we extend his contract and trade the rookie for picks or a player. If Smith blows or more likely is mediocre we probably dont extend him and move on with the rookie who just had a year to sit and observe.

If you wiegh the pro's and con's it's a no brainer to draft a QB this year with one of our top three picks. Obviously there has to be someone there worth it, but thats up to Scotty to determine.

P.S. I am advocating drafting a QB and letting him sit a year behind Alex, not drafting a QB and cutting Alex.

My arguement would be that Alex deserves another chance with a full training camp as the starter, and a decent offensive line. IMO Niners should draft the best player on the board in this order OL/KR/PR/DE/DL/LB/CB/SS. Now with Nedney's injury we may even need to look at another kicker.........
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Don't we have a youngster QB sitting, waiting, and learning on the bench in Nate Davis? How many project QB's do we need?

But thats my point. A high round pick isn't a "project pick." Theoretically it is a franchise pick. Nate Davis is a flyer. That doesn't mean it wont pan out, that just means the chances are much smaller as there was enough doubt about him that he fell to the 5th round.
Anything other than line, safety and pr/kr at this point would be crazy. Maybe we can land some of these in FA, but I wouldn't count on it. The best QB that was coming out this year decided to stay at Washington for his senior year, so if we need one next year, we should try to get him. Hopefully we will have that terrible offensive line fixed by then. They were really bad yesterday against the lions.
If a true franchise type of QB is available, you don't pass him up. Even if Alex Smith pans out to be the franchise, then we can still trade either one for a 1st rounder.

You don't pass up any franchise type of player at any position that makes that much of an impact.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

But thats my point. A high round pick isn't a "project pick." Theoretically it is a franchise pick. Nate Davis is a flyer. That doesn't mean it wont pan out, that just means the chances are much smaller as there was enough doubt about him that he fell to the 5th round.

Picking QB's is a crapshoot. Good guys can come out of any round and suckbags can be #1's. I'm sure there's a *few* regulars on this board that would agree.

Bottom line, there's reason to believe Davis has some ability and intangibles. You're no better off drafting a guy high and throwing him away and wasting his year's worth of development.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If a true franchise type of QB is available, you don't pass him up. Even if Alex Smith pans out to be the franchise, then we can still trade either one for a 1st rounder.

You don't pass up any franchise type of player at any position that makes that much of an impact.

From looking at the draft class, do you see any True Franchise QBs coming out? I see some that have potential but none that to me are that solid.

Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
When is a QB in the first round a sure thing?
Question is whether we want to gamble on a QB again when there are too many other glaring needs that far outweigh a QB at this point. O-line is in desperate need of help, the D-secondary needs some work especially at SS, and we really could use a strong pass rusher. If a solid QB was to drop to the second or third round, I think it may be a good idea but I think out O-line is a priority.

Never of course, but when will it ever be? In other words, whether we draft a QB now or later its all about the same in terms of find the "sure thing." So that argument doesn't hold water with me. Besides, in my opinion the only "glaring need" is the Oline which can be answered in the draft and FA. Brooks looks like he might be the answer to our passrush whic by the way is probably one of the biggest gambles in the draft next to QB.
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by Joecool:

From looking at the draft class, do you see any True Franchise QBs coming out? I see some that have potential but none that to me are that solid.

The only QB that looked impressive to me this year was Locker, and he isn't coming out. Clausen is a distant second to me, followed by McCoy...after that, just scrubs.
At what point do we have to start looking for Gore's replacement? We've been taking him for granted for quite some time now.
I understand your point but in all honesty I don't see any of the qb's besides maybe Clausen being too productive. And a rookie qb as plan B really isn't a plan B. I'd rather have a seasoned vet as plan B if possible.
Originally posted by jesserdumas2:
At what point do we have to start looking for Gore's replacement? We've been taking him for granted for quite some time now.

spiller even though gore has more awesome yrs ahead of him
Share 49ersWebzone