There are 220 users in the forums

Little-known "multi-team" wild-card tiebreaker rules (9-7 Niners=playoffs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That will be awesome if we can play the Tards in the first round. Let's go Niners!
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

Hopefully we catch 'em on an off-day like the Raiders did. One can hope anyway.
  • Bille
  • Veteran
Posted this one in the watchdog thread in the nfl forum:

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss

The rules change from the head to head thing since, when three or more teams are tied you can't always rule one team out. In this case Atlanta, Dallas, New York and us would be tied at 9-7. Dallas gets ruled out for having worse division record then New York, but we can't be ruled out since atlanta lost to new york and we didn't play them so it goes to conference standing, which we have a better record of.
  • da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
That will be awesome if we can play the Tards in the first round. Let's go Niners!

f**k!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just wanna beat the eagles
I can't believe how ridiculously excited some of you are getting. We need a miracle, plain and simple.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
I can't believe how ridiculously excited some of you are getting. We need a miracle, plain and simple.

not at all
we play the way we did monday we can beat eagles.
from there 9-7
if cowboys lose saturday to saints
we pretty much got the wild card spot

no miracle at all...
just 49ers takem care of bidnesss that shouldve been taken care of a while ago.

[ Edited by momoney925 on Dec 18, 2009 at 20:36:58 ]

We need to beat the Eagles with everything we got, if this team has any heart left, it'll show at its finest this Sunday.

Originally posted by momoney925:

not at all
from there 9-7

no miracle at all...

You actually believe this team is capable of winning 4 in a row? I don't. Don't get me wrong. Come Sunday I'll be cheering like it's the SB as always, but I haven't seen this team win more than 3 in a row in over 5 years. As for the other teams, I trust they'll all lose at least one. Girls have me worried though.

not at all
from there 9-7

no miracle at all...

You actually believe this team is capable of winning 4 in a row? I don't. Don't get me wrong. Come Sunday I'll be cheering like it's the SB as always, but I haven't seen this team win more than 3 in a row in over 5 years. As for the other teams, I trust they'll all lose at least one. Girls have me worried though.

first of all its 3 in a row
and second....we play eagles..a hard ass team
but we are capable of winning if we play like we did on monday night
and who is our next 2 opponents???? oh yeah! Lions and Rams
so yea we are VERY capable.

not at all
from there 9-7

no miracle at all...

Did you forget about the tards win? It counts towards it. In case you haven't noticed, the niners play a bunch of teams "hard". The problem is they always come up short when everything is on the line. This year, they couldn't even beat the seacocks or titans. The last time I saw a good niners team was 7 years ago, so forgive me if I remain skeptical.

not at all
from there 9-7

no miracle at all...

Did you forget about the tards win? It counts towards it. In case you haven't noticed, the niners play a bunch of teams "hard". The problem is they always come up short when everything is on the line. This year, they couldn't even beat the seacocks or titans. The last time I saw a good niners team was 7 years ago, so forgive me if I remain skeptical.

well the monday night game is the best game ive seen us play all season and i think we will come out to philly prepared and motivated to come up with the W
hopefully with the W...and two easy wins against detroit and STL ...playoffs are capable

not at all
from there 9-7

no miracle at all...

well the monday night game is the best game ive seen us play all season and i think we will come out to philly prepared and motivated to come up with the W
hopefully with the W...and two easy wins against detroit and STL ...playoffs are capable

Don't we all? I just refuse to say the niners are a lock for anything at this point. Even if we pulled the upset this Sunday, I'm not willing to chalk up the next two as guaranteed wins, especially the lambs game.
Share 49ersWebzone