Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 664 users in the forums

My Goal for Alex Smith for the remainder of the season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • JDog
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,173
As much as it is fair to say that Alex didn't put up estatic numbers there are a few things that need to be metioned and remembered about what he did do lastnight.

1. He did throw two touchdown passes. I believe that gives him a 9-2 touchdown to interception ratio.

2. Durring the final couple of drives when we were running on 1st and 2nd downs and needed a 1st down on 3rd and long, he was able to move the chains on more than a couple of occasions and not give the ball back to them.

I would consider this as being able to finish, and a great sign!
The o-line did decent job protecting Smith last night. Smith had time on a few that I remember. But he was inconsistent with his accuracy last night. Seems like he tried to rush some of his passes in anticipation of the open windows and to avoid the rush. But if he trust his line guys a little more he would realized he has a tick tock more to throw a more accurate pass.

I think once the Oline gives him a consistent time and he trust the guys to do it in most passing plays. Smith will be very good. The blocking was pretty good for Smith last night especially on the TD to Davis
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 65,216
It's only his 8th game since being away for a year and a half, give the kid a break, he's looking great!
  • dmax
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,900
go alex
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,105
Alex didn't look great last night but 1 thing that was telling in my eyes:

The drive that led to Crabz TD....he moved to chains & took charge....Looking at him onscreen man,......in control...he led.

Another thing Smith haters said he can't do.....
Alex Smith is by no means perfect. He still has timing issues with Crabtree but I think that they'll be sorted out in due time.

I don't blame Smith for the knockdowns at the line, those passes were batted down after a quick drop, there's not much touch you can put on those passes.

Alex has very good touch on his passes - see his 4th down conversions to Davis for example.

-9fA
I honestly can't wait to see what happens next season. After a year of working with the same receivers and OC. He's just a tad bit off with his throws still, but I really can't complain when compared to what he use to do.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Alex didn't look great last night but 1 thing that was telling in my eyes:

The drive that led to Crabz TD....he moved to chains & took charge....Looking at him onscreen man,......in control...he led.

Another thing Smith haters said he can't do.....

so far he has always looked good in the 2min O. whatever he's doing he needs to go back to this plus few bootlegs. also, i would like to see him learn not to throw the balls directly into the arms of opposing D-Lineman's arms for it either to be battered down or intercepted.
  • NinerDoug
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
What I would love to see is Alex Smith have his Interception to Td Ratio at 1:1 for his career before the season ends. His career statistics currently are 32 Touchdown passes with 38 Interceptions. With the poise and Leadership he is beginning to display, my goal for him is to enter the 2010 season at 39+ Tds and 39- interceptions. It maybe far-fetched but if he ends up doing it, it proves that he IS our quarterback.

To me, what happened in his rookie season is pretty much meaningless at this point. What is important is how he is playing NOW, which is much better than at any time in his career.

He was dissappointing last night, but it says a lot that, these days, more is expected of him. The poor play is becoming the exception to the rule.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I honestly can't wait to see what happens next season. After a year of working with the same receivers and OC. He's just a tad bit off with his throws still, but I really can't complain when compared to what he use to do.

I thought he was a little over-excited last night. I smell a big came coming for him against the Eagles.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Alex Smith is by no means perfect. He still has timing issues with Crabtree but I think that they'll be sorted out in due time.

I don't blame Smith for the knockdowns at the line, those passes were batted down after a quick drop, there's not much touch you can put on those passes.

Alex has very good touch on his passes - see his 4th down conversions to Davis for example.

-9fA

Right. Props to the D linemen for noticing the short drop back, and instead of pass rushing, taking a step back and timing their jumps. Great plays by them.
Originally posted by JDog:
As much as it is fair to say that Alex didn't put up estatic numbers there are a few things that need to be metioned and remembered about what he did do lastnight.

1. He did throw two touchdown passes. I believe that gives him a 9-2 touchdown to interception ratio.

2. Durring the final couple of drives when we were running on 1st and 2nd downs and needed a 1st down on 3rd and long, he was able to move the chains on more than a couple of occasions and not give the ball back to them.

I would consider this as being able to finish, and a great sign!

Actually it's a 15-9 TD/Int ratio. He threw two more ints last night.

LB

[ Edited by leebert81 on Dec 15, 2009 at 09:11:23 ]
Smith was just off last night, even though he still threw 2 TDs. Every QB has off games, look at Brady, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger this week.

However, it is good to see that Smith was able to convert on 3rd down in the 4th quarter a few times to help run the clock out.
Philly is one of those games that are just tough for us for whatever reason. I guess this goes back to our super bowl year in 94. Lol. But I hope we are competitive, the eagles are hot right now though they have lost to teams such as the raiders, I just see this as a must win for them in their very tight division. But man, I am rooting hard for alex and hopefully frank can duplicate this performance.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Smith was just off last night, even though he still threw 2 TDs. Every QB has off games, look at Brady, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger this week.

However, it is good to see that Smith was able to convert on 3rd down in the 4th quarter a few times to help run the clock out.

Right on, it was good to see that even though he was off, he was on when it mattered – 2 TD passes and keeping the chains moving on 3rd and long.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone