There are 151 users in the forums

What was said... What it really means...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i think we have a playoff talented team BUT the level of play isn't. that's why they have the record they do. like i said before hopefully with experience of this year(coaches & players both), the draft & FA, chemistry, continuity & balance on offence, we should be good. all this crap with the blame on sign is a bunch of B.S.. next year i hope no one talks playoffs til the team deserves too. GO NINERS!!!! in 2010
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by tmg808:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
OH STFU with all the Sing blame.

If Gore didn't fumble -our win

If Farve didn't get so lucky by an inch- our win

If Parys Harlson tackled Chris Johnson on the 6th yard line , on 4th an goal - our win

If the Colts didn't have to go deep in the cheeser playbook and do an HB option pass- maybe our win.

good points, I almost forgot about the Colts HB pass. The timing of that play made it seem that they were desperate. Those 4 losses hurt this year, and I don't know how people can blame a coach on these games when there was game deciding plays. It is obviously the players themselves had the opportunities and that's all a coach can give you

Agree with this. At some point our guys just have to make plays on the field!

As our team learns how to play as a team, we will start winning these close games we have been losing this year. We will b better next year, especially if the line is fixed. Singletary has made some rookie mistakes, but let's not forget, he is a rookie HC.

Playoff teams do not let games come down to one play, they take care of the game and put it away. In all of those games, our play calling and game management left something to be desire, and that is on coaching.

You need to look back at our greatness and glory years. We won tons of games by fewer than 6 points. Lots of times won on the last drive. Playoff teams just find a way to win. Like the Colts, like the Vikes...

If Parys Harlson tackled Chris Johnson on the 6th yard line , on 4th an goal - our win

If the Colts didn't have to go deep in the cheeser playbook and do an HB option pass- maybe our win.

good points, I almost forgot about the Colts HB pass. The timing of that play made it seem that they were desperate. Those 4 losses hurt this year, and I don't know how people can blame a coach on these games when there was game deciding plays. It is obviously the players themselves had the opportunities and that's all a coach can give you

As our team learns how to play as a team, we will start winning these close games we have been losing this year. We will b better next year, especially if the line is fixed. Singletary has made some rookie mistakes, but let's not forget, he is a rookie HC.

Playoff teams do not let games come down to one play, they take care of the game and put it away. In all of those games, our play calling and game management left something to be desire, and that is on coaching.

We are not a playoff team, this team is still learning how to win games.

Yes, our players are becoming a team, a group of guys that know each other better and pull together. Much needed to win games.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Here's how I see teams in the NFL:

1. Doormats - getting blownout and most of the time not competitive (STL, CLE)
2. Almost there - Still losing, but is competitively close. Losing the close games. (CHI, HOU)
3. Competitive - Winning the close games and is a playoff team. (AZ, CIN)
4. Dominant - Blowing out teams and have great execution. (IND, NO)

The Niners are at number 2 right now, and until they become competitive no one will be happy.

I think we're an o-line and a defensive playmaker away from being solidly in category 3 . . . 2010 !!!!

Of course #4 is where we want to return sooner rather than later.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Dec 13, 2009 at 09:44:55 ]

2. Almost there - Still losing, but is competitively close. Losing the close games. (CHI, HOU)

The Niners are at number 2 right now, and until they become competitive no one will be happy.

I think they are a 2 by your ratings as well. But what does unhappiness have to do with asking stupid questions?? and harassing people??
We are NOT a playoff team this season.

The buck always stops at the HC, whether we like it or not. I think Singletary was a bit handicapped this year with the QB situation, run-first mentality,etc,etc. He has turned out to be more flexible than most HCs and that is a good thing. He has to make changes this off-season that will take this team to the next level next year. I know, we've heard this for years and I'm basically fed up as well, but that's life.
It's sport and a team we all love, and "sometimes crap happens". That's how I've justified it.

Having said that, it would be nice if we beat AZ on Monday night...for whatever it's worth.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Every great coach (exception: Belichek) will tell you, "you are as good as your players"

Our players didn't make the simple plays when it mattered. The plays they missed weren't because they weren't coached right or the play-calling was questionable. They missed them because they are young and prone to stupid mistakes in pressure situations. It's because they haven't played too many meaningful games.

If Smith continues to play at high level for the rest of the season, I'll consider this season a success...regardless of the record. Having a franchise QB bodes well for the future of this team.

I think they are a 2 by your ratings as well. But what does unhappiness have to do with asking stupid questions?? and harassing people??

They're just asking questions. This is the same line of questioning Cohn had after the Titans game. No big deal here. They're legit questions when expections are not met. At the same time media need to understand (and they likely do) coaches typically don't publicly criticize a young team as a whole no matter what.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Every great coach (exception: Belichek) will tell you, "you are as good as your players"

Our players didn't make the simple plays when it mattered. The plays they missed weren't because they weren't coached right or the play-calling was questionable. They missed them because they are young and prone to stupid mistakes in pressure situations. It's because they haven't played too many meaningful games.

If Smith continues to play at high level for the rest of the season, I'll consider this season a success...regardless of the record. Having a franchise QB bodes well for the future of this team.

revisit this after Monday night
Originally posted by NinerGM:

THIS

Thankyou.

Farve didn't get lucky. He made a clutch play play. That's what execution is all about.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to make those type of clutch plays this years.

Gore's fumble...

Davis's drops...

Crabtree's drops...

Missed tackles...

Missed converages...

That's the difference between the teams who play in the post season, and the teams that watch. We have to clean up on the execution end if we want to play with the big kids at the end of the year. Period.

I dig.

and if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. the point is, we were in possition to let one play lose a game for us. we are not ready for the playoffs. i hope we make it but we are still showing growing pains. the players are pretty good, we really need help on o-line, we definitely need help getting to the QB. after those two needs are filled, then we will be a great team that deserves the playoffs. if one play can lose a game for u, be it a bad call or a fluke play like the favre td, you are not ready. a playoff team doesnt blow 3 timeouts in 6 minutes or make 3 up the middle attempts when the game is on the line and gets stopped. we are not good enough to overcome coaching/player mistakes. next year we will be one year wiser and hopefully they can fix some key problem areas. with a decent line this year we would have atleast 4 more wins at this point.
Share 49ersWebzone