LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 193 users in the forums

Kentwan balmer to IR

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not that it's that big of a deal, but KB to IR.

"49ers place DT Kentwan Balmer on IR (shoulder) and sign DT Baraka Atkins. Balmer underwent surgery today. #49ers"

http://twitter.com/mattmaiocco

[ Edited by darkknight49 on Dec 9, 2009 at 14:06:52 ]
CHAMPIONevermind.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

"49ers place DT Kentwan Balmer on IR (shoulder) and sign DT Baraka Atkins. Balmer underwent surgery today. #49ers"

So, is he officially a flop now?
Originally posted by nickbradley:

he never was gonna put up many numbers.
  • dj43
WOW. I can't believe some of the comments here.

Balmer has been playing very well in the past six games or so. He hasn't been getting a LOT of playing time because the starting three have played so very well but losing him out of the rotation is NOT a good thing.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

BINGO

Originally posted by dj43:

Balmer has been playing very well in the past six games or so. He hasn't been getting a LOT of playing time because the starting three have played so very well but losing him out of the rotation is NOT a good thing.

Really? I haven't even noticed him when I rewatch the games. I'd rather cut him and draft someone else. Guy has done absolutely nothing to impress me. He produces like a 6th round pic
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

Really? I haven't even noticed him when I rewatch the games. I'd rather cut him and draft someone else. Guy has done absolutely nothing to impress me. He produces like a 6th round pic

Yeah, cut him. Good call. Because no NFL team needs depth. And because D-Line is super easy to play at a high level as a young player. He's developing nicely at a position that is very difficult to learn proper technique. At worst he provides nice depth to our D-Line rotation.

Just curious, which 3-4 defensive ends around the league have done a lot to impress you?
He's a bust...

Scot M. should have never picked him...

It generally takes a few years for rookie 3-4 DEs to really get comfortable with that role. I think Balmer will be fine...not to mention, I wanted Atkins when he came out of the Da U, so I'm glad we signed him.

I have seen him, even with the little time he had gotten to play and without having to re-watch games. I have seen him get pressure on the QB a few times and make some stops. Even in MM's breakdowns of games, he has stated that Balmer is doing a good job with the little opportunity he gets.

Fans can be so fickle. The same people who are so quick to dump a guy are the same people who wanted to cut Smith in the off-season. Balmer may pay-off down the road, especially if the Niners don't want to pay Franklin the kind of money he will most likely demand.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Dec 9, 2009 at 14:31:45 ]

Even when I make an effort to look for him he does nothing that stands out. Justin Smith makes you notice him because of his play, makes an impression every game and almost every play which is what I think a first rounder should do. Will Balmer eventually become a good/great player? Maybe but he hasn't justified the pick so far, especially when a starting wr/pr/kr combo player(Desean Jackson) would have helped more than a second string lineman that couldn't break into the starting lineup. For better or for worse, those two will be forever linked here in the Zone.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Dec 9, 2009 at 16:50:33 ]
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I have seen him, even with the little time he had gotten to play and without having to re-watch games. I have seen him get pressure on the QB a few times and make some stops. Even in MM's breakdowns of games, he has stated that Balmer is doing a good job with the little opportunity he gets.

Fans can be so fickle. The same people who are so quick to dump a guy are the same people who wanted to cut Smith in the off-season. Balmer may pay-off down the road, especially if the Niners don't want to pay Franklin the kind of money he will most likely demand.

Yeah, Balmer is solid with a lot of upside. What is everyone talking about? I always feel like I'm watching a different team than most other bloggers are.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Makes no difference. The seasons over, and he's been well on his way to being a bust sine the day we picked him.
Share 49ersWebzone