How we forget

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by casadoba:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Every qb has a couple of bad games for the most part Alex smith has played really well and I think (pending the next games) has deserved the starters role for next year

again he has proved that when he has time (jags game) he can be a way above average qb

I think the Defense had more to do with that win vs the Jags ,than Smith above average play. I mean we still only scored 20 points.

Only 20 Points? To me thats a pretty damn good game offensively, im sorry but we arent a team that will score 40+ every game. Just wont happen.

Remember that there would have been another 7 points if Crabtree catches a perfect ball. So Smith did all he could do, and now the rest of the team has to pull togeher to play as a total team. Tomorrow will be good test game for us. If we win most people will say it was just because we played a bad team. If we lose the zone will say that we are not talented enough to win. Smith will not win respect until he wins a number of games and we show consistency in our offense. So lets get it done tomorrow.

Ur right. Lets get it done tomorrow and here on out. Lets not say, what if this and Crabtree should of caught that. 20 points is what was on the board at the end of the game. I remember there could of been 3 INTs Smith threw in that Jags game as well, but they didn't happen due to the defenders being outta poistion, dropping the ball and luck I guess. And if Smith did throw 3 picks, let me guess, it was the recievers fault or o line didn't block is what u all would be saying.

If it was Smith's fault, then we would probably be on him, but fact is, he didnt throw them, and fact is we scored 20 and thats a good day for any team IMO.

Just be happy He played well and we won, he isnt a Peyton or Brady, and never will be. But not many players are like peyton, Brady or even Brees.
  • lazy
  • Veteran
And lets not forget the Colts game with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. Smith could of lead us down the field to a game winning TD. Instead he throws a pick into coverage on the first play of the drive. Then on the next 49er possession he throws another pick into coverage on the first play of the drive.

So what should we do? Feel negative about the situation just like you? Nobody is crowning this guy the future yet...but there are some positives in his development thus far and if your not willing to acknowledge that then that’s your problem.

I do agree with one point...We should evaluate his total body of work after the season and then make a decision going forward. But YOU CAN"T REIGN on MY Positive outlook on this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by krizay:
Anyone remember the Tennesse game in which we went spread and shotgun and threw the ball 40 plus times. Smith had a horrible game in which he had 4 turnovers. Three of them were INT's. Look Smith has only won two games as being the starter this year, yet people forget how horrible he has been this whole year, with the exception of the Jags game. I cant stand people backing this kid and saying he is the future, here on out just after one win against a average team at best. Many were calling for his head including radio hosts on KNBR (Damon Bruce) and many fans as well after the Packers loss.
Quote:
Yet after just one week and one win, all of a sudden Smith is the answer.

Before we just come to any conclusions about the future of our QB position, we need to look back and analyze the whole body of work Smith has put forth. We cant do that till the season is over. Not saying this guy is not the answer but in my book one game doesn't give him the right to take the reigns of this team after this year. Smith needs to look impressive here on out till the end of the season. And I mean look good in 4 quarters of football. Not just one half of every game when were down by two TD's or more.

I was reading a post the other day. Someone said that Alex has played 2 good games, because if you had the 2nd half of the Texans game and GB game, that equals 1 game. So Alex has performed well in half his starts........
  • Ether
  • Veteran
And lets not forget the Colts game with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. Smith could of lead us down the field to a game winning TD. Instead he throws a pick into coverage on the first play of the drive. Then on the next 49er possession he throws another pick into coverage on the first play of the drive. Thought Id just mention this in case u all forgot what happened.

And yet hes above average. Ha!!!

If you were trying to make a point, at least get your facts right. Alex Smith threw 1 interception against the Colts. You're referrin to the Titans game, which... I'm pretty sure you already pointed out.

[ Edited by Ether on Dec 5, 2009 at 19:00:14 ]
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
And lets not forget the Colts game with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. Smith could of lead us down the field to a game winning TD. Instead he throws a pick into coverage on the first play of the drive. Then on the next 49er possession he throws another pick into coverage on the first play of the drive. Thought Id just mention this in case u all forgot what happened.

Remind me would you on just how many INT's Does Brett Favre have?????

And if you think that the first half of the Green Bay game was on Alex, then please tell what you would have had him due different. All he did was hand the ball off to Gore so he could get stuffed for a 2 yard loss, just in case you forgot what happened....!
Anyone remember the Tennesse game in which we went spread and shotgun and threw the ball 40 plus times. Smith had a horrible game in which he had 4 turnovers. Three of them were INT's. Look Smith has only won two games as being the starter this year, yet people forget how horrible he has been this whole year, with the exception of the Jags game. I cant stand people backing this kid and saying he is the future, here on out just after one win against a average team at best. Many were calling for his head including radio hosts on KNBR (Damon Bruce) and many fans as well after the Packers loss. Yet after just one week and one win, all of a sudden Smith is the answer.

Before we just come to any conclusions about the future of our QB position, we need to look back and analyze the whole body of work Smith has put forth. We cant do that till the season is over. Not saying this guy is not the answer but in my book one game doesn't give him the right to take the reigns of this team after this year. Smith needs to look impressive here on out till the end of the season. And I mean look good in 4 quarters of football. Not just one half of every game when were down by two TD's or more.

Ummmmm pardon me but he threw a good bunch of those picks in the 1st half. A half in which we did NOT run the Spread. We only ran the Spread in the second half. And while it wasn't a great half...

Point is it's easy to criticize when you are talking about a guy that has had issues over the length of his career because our Coaching staff drafted players they DIDN'T know how to use.

And drafted a Line that for all intents and purposes would not be fielded by any Pee Wee coach in the nation cause they're too proud to put a unit that ugly on it.

And success has a way of making the bad stuff seem trivial. Thanks for playin n00b. It was fun. Hope we can do this again sometime.

Funny how Ronnie Lott doesn't see it the same way you(OR Steve for that matter) do.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Every qb has a couple of bad games for the most part Alex smith has played really well and I think (pending the next games) has deserved the starters role for next year

again he has proved that when he has time (jags game) he can be a way above average qb

I think the Defense had more to do with that win vs the Jags ,than Smith above average play. I mean we still only scored 20 points.

Yes only 20 points. And 20 points isn't an above average offense. I would say thats what an average offense scores. And if I'm not mistaken we scored 17 of those points in the 1st half. Thats not an above average offense only scoring 20 points in a game.

Only 20 Points? To me thats a pretty damn good game offensively, im sorry but we arent a team that will score 40+ every game. Just wont happen.

Yes only 20 points. And 20 points isn't an above average offense. I would say thats what an average offense scores. And if I'm not mistaken we scored 17 of those points in the 1st half. Thats not an above average offense only scoring 20 points in a game. And the sad thing is that was our best offense we had all year. What a joke. We niner fans are so far removed from what a real offense looks like that we get all excited when our QB throws for over 200 yds and offense scores 20 points.

Lots of criticism with very little in the way of suggestions. If you're going to come in with all kinds of negativity, the least you can do if say what you think needs to be done to fix the problem. Give us your FA quarterback or drafted one for next year. Something man... come on.

Truth be told our defense played terrible against th Jaguars. They marched up and down the field on us. Fortunately we created turnovers and held the bend but don't break mentality. I'll admit the offense did little in the second half, which is disappointing. Their offense still managed over 350 yards of offense on us and, I don't know about you, but the thought process of someone doing whatever they want to the defense doesn't sit well with me. If it wasn't for the turnovers the game would have been completely different.
Originally posted by tn9er:

And if you think that the first half of the Green Bay game was on Alex, then please tell what you would have had him due different. All he did was hand the ball off to Gore so he could get stuffed for a 2 yard loss, just in case you forgot what happened....!

"Oooh Ooh Oooh Mista Kotta Mista Kotta...

Yes Arnold what is it?

Well what about dat guuuuuy um um...

Moran Norris?

Umm uhhh uhhh yeeeeaaaahhh.

What about him Arnold?

Remember when he uuuuhhhh

Remember what Arnold?

When he got ummm stuffed goin fo dat inch?

What about it?

Wasn't dat dat QB's fault too?

I I I mean if heda called da right play the 49ers wudda gotit right?

Ummmm no Arnold I don't think that it works that way..."

~Ceadder

Disagreed. He has not earned a damn thing till he ends the season with a winning record. If that doesnt happen, we definitely need to weigh our options. Hill is our past, but we had a sh!tty O-line last year and he still managed to win, And we didnt have to exclusively run the shotgun to get good play out of em. We know Hill is not the guy, Im still not sure about Alex, yet I am impressed at what Ive seen, As far as earning the starting position Next Year, Ohhhhhhh No, not yet buddy, not yet.

• tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by tn9er:

"Oooh Ooh Oooh Mista Kotta Mista Kotta...

Yes Arnold what is it?

Well what about dat guuuuuy um um...

Moran Norris?

Umm uhhh uhhh yeeeeaaaahhh.

What about him Arnold?

Remember when he uuuuhhhh

Remember what Arnold?

When he got ummm stuffed goin fo dat inch?

What about it?

Wasn't dat dat QB's fault too?

I I I mean if heda called da right play the 49ers wudda gotit right?

Ummmm no Arnold I don't think that it works that way..."

~Ceadder

But, he threw the ball 7 times in the first half and should have 300yds and 8 TD's.
Why do u care about other people's opinions so much?
Do you want everyone's opinion to be similar to yours?
Do you want everyone to hate players u hate?
Do you want everyone to be depressed if you are depressed?
These types of threads are becoming an epidemic.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Dec 6, 2009 at 00:10:10 ]
Anyone remember the Tennesse game in which we went spread and shotgun and threw the ball 40 plus times. Smith had a horrible game in which he had 4 turnovers. Three of them were INT's. Look Smith has only won two games as being the starter this year, yet people forget how horrible he has been this whole year, with the exception of the Jags game. I cant stand people backing this kid and saying he is the future, here on out just after one win against a average team at best. Many were calling for his head including radio hosts on KNBR (Damon Bruce) and many fans as well after the Packers loss. Yet after just one week and one win, all of a sudden Smith is the answer.

did you actually watch the Tennessee game??? Most of Smiths Int's weren't all on his shoulders. I can think of at least 2 that were caused by the WR tipping the ball and not making the play on very catchable throws. I'm not saying he didn't make any mistakes. But you can't look at mere stats alone. There are so many variables that go into play. I'm still on the fence myself. I think Smith has a lot of room to grow. He has shown flashes of brilliance, and then he'll make a play where you want to scratch your head. The talent is there. I can't deny that. I think it all comes down to the mental aspect of things. As a fan I just want what's best for our team. And that would be for Alex to succeed. Go Niners!!!!
i am just excited that smith is getting the opportunity to use our many capable weapons as recievers in abundance. gore, vd, crabs, morgan, walker and hill. and he has mobility to buy time to get them open and can scramble. he stretches the field and has it physically. he has grown some, so i credit mike johnson and he has big upside. this is his 1st significant nfl play in 2 years, that is the fact and we just need to see where this offense can go and evaluate after week 17. my guess is that with practice, qb and recievers, the offense can stretch and expose mismatches vs defenses. i am hoping he can do it, but we are essentially seeing alex's 3rd full season and so far he at least looks like a capable if mistake prone qb that can improve as well as our recievers. he seems to find vd, crabs, gore and walker often. we need to continue to let him use his athleticism at times to move the chains. let us not bash or anoint our players too soon
Share 49ersWebzone