There are 135 users in the forums

Alex Smith's stats

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can someone get Smith's stats from when he is in shotgun formation?

I'm sure there pretty good, most or all of his TD's have come from the shotgun formation.
Smith in shotgun: 58 of 92 (63.0 percent) for 639 with 7 TDs and 3 interceptions - passer rating of 95.3. (Four sacks for minus-29 yards. He's also had five scrambles for 22 yards.

Smith under center: 37 of 63 (58.7 percent) for 396 with 2 TDs and 4 interceptions - passer rating 61.3. (Nine sacks for minus-47 yards)
Shotgun it is.
Here are some more interesting stats: In the last 5 games - ones in which Alex played - his opponents were very good. Looking at how these teams played during this five week period, they have a combined win/loss record of 15-8. If we eliminate CHI, the team we beat, the other 4 teams we lost to have a 14-4 record.

Alex had to face some of the better teams in the league, and I think he has done remarkably well considering the opposition, his rustiness and our sub-par OL.

I am concerned a bit about his personality. He does need to become more confident and assertive. Success will help him in that area. The good thing is that Singletary and Raye both seem to recognize this and are working on it.
No offense, I just don't understand why you guys think is that easy when it's not. This is not COLLEGE its the PROS that sort of system will not work in the NFL. You have to be a balance offense with multiple formations to succeed in this league and that is a fact.
Shotgun numbers are skewed bc we are usually down a whole lot when he is in shotgun and defenses are playing vanilla
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Shotgun numbers are skewed bc we are usually down a whole lot when he is in shotgun and defenses are playing vanilla

All but 1 snap against GB was shotgun and there have been multiple credible sources state that GB WAS NOT playing vanilla defense. That being said, people always say "numbers don't lie" and the numbers say that Alex is more productive in the gun.
Yea the shotgun doesent work. Can't you guys see? If he would have just stuck to the gameplan like hill...we would have gotten completly embarassed! Because the shotgun only works if your Tom Brady or Peyton manning.Let's just line up in the I formation and go three and out like we're supposed to.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Here are some more interesting stats: In the last 5 games - ones in which Alex played - his opponents were very good. Looking at how these teams played during this five week period, they have a combined win/loss record of 15-8. If we eliminate CHI, the team we beat, the other 4 teams we lost to have a 14-4 record.

Alex had to face some of the better teams in the league, and I think he has done remarkably well considering the opposition, his rustiness and our sub-par OL.

I am concerned a bit about his personality. He does need to become more confident and assertive. Success will help him in that area. The good thing is that Singletary and Raye both seem to recognize this and are working on it.

I would focus on their combined records.

In 5.5 games, Hill faced a combined record of: 30-30

In 4.5 games, Alex has faced a combined record of: 30-21

I don't think this tells us much of anything really. Where Alex is at the end of the season will tell us much more.
Smith good in shotgun
smith bad under center

• ZRF80
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

All but 1 snap against GB was shotgun and there have been multiple credible sources state that GB WAS NOT playing vanilla defense. That being said, people always say "numbers don't lie" and the numbers say that Alex is more productive in the gun.

Numbers DO lie, because in those games, the opposition is sitting on a lead and is more determined to milk the clock than play the "time of possession" game. It doesnt necessarily mean that you're playing prevent, but lets be honest. If you're sitting on a 2 TD+ lead, you're not going to approach the game the same way as if you're down or even tied.

With that said, Alex has shown that even out of the SHOTGUN, or with time, he still is prone to make mistakes. He threw 2 costly INTs vs. the Titans (worst D in the league) to end it for us, both with ample time to throw. And he threw the game endig INT vs. the Texans, again with time to throw. He threw a costly INT vs. GB, again with ample time to throw.

I wonder what will happen when teams start to expect Alex in the Shotgun, and start playing the pass more than the run. You're telling me that Alex will all fo a sudden learn how to thread the needle and punish defenses accordingly ?
LOL, I only count the wins. That is the stat most judge a QB by nowadays.
Playing with an injured shoulder showed courage and sticking with the 9ers instead of bolting for anywhere else showed determination and loyalty. So, I like Smith and believe he has talent, but can he win the close games? I had forgotten some of the close games he has won until someone put a link on another thread showing Smith throwing last minute winning passes--not enough for the doubters--but evidence of ability none the less.

He needs time and a mentor. Hopefully the rest of the year will be enough time and Raye will be his mentor. His toughness is unquestioned, leadership ability? Not so much. Come on Smith!
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
LOL, I only count the wins. That is the stat most judge a QB by nowadays.

If that's the case, let's go sign Grossman, or get Dilfer back here! These guys had great winning seasons at a time.

I think it's safe to say it's a mix of both. You'd like to see that W from your QB, to go a long with 250+ YDs and 2 TDs.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

Numbers DO lie, because in those games, the opposition is sitting on a lead and is more determined to milk the clock than play the "time of possession" game. It doesnt necessarily mean that you're playing prevent, but lets be honest. If you're sitting on a 2 TD+ lead, you're not going to approach the game the same way as if you're down or even tied.

With that said, Alex has shown that even out of the SHOTGUN, or with time, he still is prone to make mistakes. He threw 2 costly INTs vs. the Titans (worst D in the league) to end it for us, both with ample time to throw. And he threw the game endig INT vs. the Texans, again with time to throw. He threw a costly INT vs. GB, again with ample time to throw.

I wonder what will happen when teams start to expect Alex in the Shotgun, and start playing the pass more than the run. You're telling me that Alex will all fo a sudden learn how to thread the needle and punish defenses accordingly ?

Well, I did say credible sources. No offense, but to me you're just another fan with an opinion, as we all are.

I don't remember the picks against the Titans, so i'll take your word on those. The one against the Texans though, it was 4th down, in our own territory with like 30 seconds left. He had to take a shot downfield and the defense knew it. The one against GB, he admitted throwing the ball too early, but don't you honestly think VD could have made a better effort?

And show me anybody that doesn't make mistakes.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Nov 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone