LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

Plz help me understand Why

Shop Find 49ers gear online
people keep complaining about the team being a running team. No matter what Sing is saying in the monday pres conferences. maybe i'm watching a different game then everyone else. We are not a runing team and did not start out that way this week.

Here is a breakdown of each series from the 1st half

1st. 5 plays 2 pass 3 run results FG
1st play of the game incomplete pass to gore
2nd 3 plays 2 pass 1 run results punt
a short pass to morgan and a sack
3rd 3 plays 2 pass 1 run results punt
1st play a sack
4th 3 play 3 pass punt
again 1st play results in sack
5th 3 plays 2 pass 1 run
1st play 5yd loss on a pass play to gore

Every one of those series had 1 thing in common. Negative yards by either sack or bad pass. This is called execution people plain and simple. The majority of the problem is that we cant give alex the time to pass the ball in the 1st place. and even when given time he still is afraid to make a play. That check down to gore for a 5yd loss is all on alex there. This has nothing to do with being in the spread or not either because 6 of the 11 pass plays were out of the spread. This not a blame Alex either because he did better once GB went to Prevent D in the 2nd half.

Those that complain about being able to run like coach wants from us. Here's an interesting stat for you 24 for 129 and a TD. Not bad for a pass happy team. For those that dont know that what grant hit us for. 5 of the 9 plays for GB's 1st series was run. This is what coach wants from us. So agian it is more about execution and not being pass happy.

I still don't understand how or why we are getting gashed by the Run on D now but that has to be fixed. We still over pursuit the screens when we know that every team is going to screen us to death. But this is another topic. And no the D wasn't tired after 2 possessions of giving up huge gains by GB
[ Edited by SF4EVA on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:29 PM ]
Maybe the D is just disheartened by watching this inept offense all year long....
why does everyone keep saying that GB went to a prevent defense. did you all not watch the game? GB was still blitzing! Even the announcers said that GB was still bringing pressure and did not soften up the defense. So what you saw out of Alex Smith and the offense was all Alex Smith and the offense.
Originally posted by backontop:
why does everyone keep saying that GB went to a prevent defense. did you all not watch the game? GB was still blitzing! Even the announcers said that GB was still bringing pressure and did not soften up the defense. So what you saw out of Alex Smith and the offense was all Alex Smith and the offense.

Yes your right they did continue to bring pressure but they also did more 3 & 4 man rushes because we were going to pass more often. And that is why i said that i don't completely blame Alex because he did better. My whole point of the thread was execution!!!! which we did very poor in the 1st half.
When the offense goes into a funk like they did on Sunday in the first. Some team goes to the 'no huddle' offense just to get things to an up tempo on offense. Did Raye ever did something like that or remotely similar. Cause it seems to me every time some thing goes bad like a sack or incomplete, Raye goes straight back to running the ball with Gore up the middle. Was there two pass plays in a row
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When the offense goes into a funk like they did on Sunday in the first. Some team goes to the 'no huddle' offense just to get things to an up tempo on offense. Did Raye ever did something like that or remotely similar. Cause it seems to me every time some thing goes bad like a sack or incomplete, Raye goes straight back to running the ball with Gore up the middle. Was there two pass plays in a row

There was only one of those series that we went to back to back runs and that was on the 1 series wehere we did all of our damage. The biggest problem was that on all the other series we we in negative yards after the 1st play.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by backontop:

Yes your right they did continue to bring pressure but they also did more 3 & 4 man rushes because we were going to pass more often. And that is why i said that i don't completely blame Alex because he did better. My whole point of the thread was execution!!!! which we did very poor in the 1st half.

call me crazy but if you are only bring 3 and 4 defenders to rush the QB doesn't that leave more defenders in coverage? Therefore making things harder on the QB to find an open receiver. Just a thought

There was only one of those series that we went to back to back runs and that was on the 1 series wehere we did all of our damage. The biggest problem was that on all the other series we we in negative yards after the 1st play.

And I bet you they tried to run the ball to get back some of those negative yards then throw to get back the rest. Predictable is my point.

And I bet you they tried to run the ball to get back some of those negative yards then throw to get back the rest. Predictable is my point.

that is exactly how it went down. Sad thing is that is always how it goes down
The problem is when smith is under center he is horrible but when he is in the shotgun he has space to work with and a couple extra seconds before our linemen get blown by. I think the coaches have to make adjustments to win games and keep their jobs.

Can't avoid those bad plays when the OL can't block worth s**t.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

31st at run blocking
29th in pass protection

KC is the only other team in the discussion for worst OL in the league, they are 32nd and 27th respectively.
We couldn't execute because Green Bay knew what was coming before we did. They know we are going to be stubborn and continue to run out of these bunch formations and they are able to put ten in the box and disrupte our execution. We have a below average OL and we want to have them try to block more than they can handle. That is just not smart. Our coaching staff needs to realizes that with this team that the pass(in the shotgun) will set up the run by spreading the defense out and give our OL time to block. I don't want to hear that we can't just change our offensive scheme mid soneason because I just saw Tennesse win 4 straight games with a re-vamped game plan. I don't think Kerry Collins was running the option when he was starting!

Being predictable is a useless term in this sport. Teams are always going to know what the players are going to do. that is thier job. It is the players jobs to beat their man. either by protection or running a route. Hell GB was predictable. we all knew that they would throw the ball alot but that didnt stop them did it?
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The answer to your question is because its the easy way to go. People have been uneasy since Singletary said he wanted to be able to run the ball even if the other team knew it was coming. That got misconstrued and it didn't matter how many times he tried to clarify it. Then the uneasiness got worse when he picked Raye as his OC, who was not a "hot" candidate or popular choice. That meant the offense was on a short leash and if it didn't work, this is what was going to happen.

The ironic thing is we've seen this before. When Mooch got fired, a lot of 49er fans were happy because they felt Mooch was too conservative, couldn't win in the playoffs, etc. After Erickson and a couple years of Nolan, suddenly a lot of 49er fans were calling for Mooch to come back as HC or even the OC. Last year, many wanted Martz to go because his pass-first offense didn't fit the personnel, didn't emphasize the running game and led to too many sacks and INTs. Now, everyone wants to go to a shot-gun based pass-first offense that will de-empasize the running game, get the QB hit more and lead to more INTs. Not to mention they want to do it with a banged-up and questionable OL and a QB that most 49er fans considered a bust as recently as 6 weeks ago, had not played in a meaningful game for 2 years after a serious shoulder injury and has thrown at least 1 INT in every game he's played in this year. All of a sudden, everyone wants a Martz type offense back. I just don't get it.
Wrong thread
[ Edited by WINiner on Nov 24, 2009 at 5:44 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone