There are 239 users in the forums

Is it time to go back to Arnaz Battle as punt returner?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TDking876:
Jones has better hands

Except for the one he let drop and roll for a 50yd punt. He does catch the ones that go inside the 10 yd line though

Jason Hill.

He has solid hands, he's quick and scrappy.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Jason Hill.

Agree, although I would hate to see him injured like Clements.
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Jason Hill.

Agree, although I would hate to see him injured like Clements.

Clements isn't as shifty as Hill. Hill could get hurt but so can anyone else. To win games, the best talent must be on the field.
Against the Titans:

Fielded a punt at the 6-yard line when he should have let it go in order to get a touchback. Punt returners are taught to put their heels on the 10-yard line and if the ball is over your head, let it go.

Overall had 3 punt returns for a total of -3 yards (for an average of -1.0 yards!)

Against the Bears:

Had a shot of calling a fair catch on a ball in the first half but opted not to catch it and the ball rolled an additional 15-20 yards the other way.

Overall had 1 punt return for 4 yards (for an average of 4.0 yards).

We totally need an upgrade here. He's not the answer. Maybe put Reggie Smith back there once he's healthy since he returned kicks at Oklahoma.
He definitely isn't a logical option at returner. Although on the one that he let bounce, to me from my angle in the stadium it looked like a low punt that had some zip on it. To me it looked like he did the right thing by letting it bounce, and we just got unlucky with the role.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
He definitely isn't a logical option at returner. Although on the one that he let bounce, to me from my angle in the stadium it looked like a low punt that had some zip on it. To me it looked like he did the right thing by letting it bounce, and we just got unlucky with the role.

yeah if he is talking about the 63 yarder. it is hard to blame jones on that one. if he fields it over the shoulder style he would have been trashed for it.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

yeah if he is talking about the 63 yarder. it is hard to blame jones on that one. if he fields it over the shoulder style he would have been trashed for it.

That was a good punt, and would have been hard to field cleanly.

I have yet to see him have a good opportunity to return a punt. Our special teams blocking in general has been bad all year (both punt and kick off).

We need to invest in a kick returner via the the draft or FA...
THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

That was a good punt, and would have been hard to field cleanly.

I have yet to see him have a good opportunity to return a punt. Our special teams blocking in general has been bad all year (both punt and kick off).

We need to invest in a kick returner via the the draft or FA...

it is now really hard to block on kickoffs though. now is the time the great KRs will stand out.

Originally posted by WestCoast:
THANK YOU CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!!

Wow. Got anything else clever to say?
Doesn't he catch the ball most of the time? He doesn't fumble too much.

If we get a zero yards gain and a clean exchange with no fumbles that's a plus for the 49ers return game. You have to understand what we really have back there.
We don't have anyone else. He doesn't turn the ball over. I'm satisfied.
Agreed. The position is a lot tougher than I realized. Having a good punt returner can save games or cost a team one. We need to try some one else back there.
Share 49ersWebzone