LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Tackle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Will we sign another tackle? I dont know who is out there that could be a back up Barry but we are very bare right now. Any thoughts?
Jon Runyan is still available but he's coming off an injury. He underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee shortly after last season.
I want to see them give alex boone a shot, on a few plays here and there.. cant be worse than sims.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
I want to see them give alex boone a shot, on a few plays here and there.. cant be worse than sims.

sims played really good last week

so I'm gonna go with yes it can be worse
Originally posted by unst4bl3:

Boone is a project. Was not impressive in the preseason. He should count his lucky stars that he has a job on the PS.

As Mexico said, Sims actually did pretty well on Sunday.
Boone was moved up from the practice squad. I believe the article I read said he will be used as a RT only. Lets hope that he is worth all the hype
Originally posted by backontop:
Boone was moved up from the practice squad. I believe the article I read said he will be used as a RT only. Lets hope that he is worth all the hype

Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything about it.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Jon Runyan is still available but he's coming off an injury. He underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee shortly after last season.

If he had microfracture surgery, then he's just a step away from knee replacement surgery. This is a good procedure for most older people who are otherwise healthy and on weight when their knee(s) start to give out, and there have been some athletes that have extended their careers somewhat with it, but like with all knee injuries, the worse enemy for them is excess weight. If you can get your weight down as much as possible and still take care of both of your knees (sometimes the good knee will overcompensate and go bad itself), then you stand a good prognosis. However, that doesn’t sound like an offensive lineman to me. John Runyan is a big, big man. I think his playing days are over, and apparently so do all the GMs of all thirty two NFL teams.

[ Edited by fzrdave on Nov 3, 2009 at 13:48:06 ]

Barrows was speculating it in his post that I read today, but it seemed like it was nothing concrete. Unless you have heard something else?
Originally posted by fzrdave:

If he had microfracture surgery, then he's just a step away from knee replacement surgery. This is a good procedure for most older people who are otherwise healthy and on weight when their knee(s) start to give out, and there have been some athletes that have extended their careers somewhat with it, but like with all knee injuries, the worse enemy for them is excess weight. If you can get your weight down as much as possible and still take care of both of your knees (sometimes the good knee will overcompensate and go bad itself), then you stand a good prognosis. However, that doesn’t sound like an offensive lineman to me. John Runyan is a big, big man. I think his playing days are over, and apparently so do all the GMs of all thirty two NFL teams.

That would explain why the Eagles had him come in for a work out in September but didn't sign him.

Slim pickins I guess...

I didnt say sims did bad, but we know he is capable of being a revolving door.
Originally posted by fzrdave:

That would explain why the Eagles had him come in for a work out in September but didn't sign him.

Slim pickins I guess...

A John Runyan in his heyday would’ve been great; he was a really good tackle. It's still good to explore all options.
What happened to the tackle we picked up from the Chiefs?

Do you have a link? I haven't been able to find anything about it.

I saw this in the Sac Bee

November 3, 2009
Injuries have Niners contemplating moves
Tuesday is the day teams typically make roster moves, and the 49ers have a lot to think about with two heretofore starters suddenly out a month and a half. Here are the injuries and the 49ers' options ...

Joe Staley. This is the biggest injury of the three because the offensive line already had been a problem area and because Staley had been one of the team's top two linemen. (center Eric Heitmann being the other). Barry Sims played well in relief, albeit against a less-than-100-percent Dwight Freeney. Look for Sims and Adam Snyder to be the starting tackles while Staley is out. Newly-signed Chris Patrick also is an option, and the 49ers also could elevate rookie Alex Boone from the practice squad. Boone is strictly a right tackle. Bringing him to the active roster would require the 49ers to release someone on the 53-man squad, likely a receiver.

Nate Clements. Clements will miss only the second game of his career Sunday against the Titans. In fact, the team is expecting him to miss at least five more games after that as he recovers from the broken right shoulder blade he suffered while returning a punt Sunday. That puts Clements' return in mid December. The 49ers play the Cardinals, a team with which they are contending for the division and one against which Clements has been particularly effective, on Dec. 14. The 49ers likely will compensate by going with the same lineup they used Sunday - Shawntae Spencer and Tarell Brown as the starters and Dre Bly as the nickel corner. Marcus Hudson also is an option. Hudson's value, however, is mostly due to his special teams prowess. His coverage skills are questionable. Eric Green, a cornerback they looked at in training camp, also is available.

Demetric Evans. Evans is out three weeks with a sprained shoulder. He hasn't exactly been a major part of the defense - he has four tackles this season - but he has played in every game. The 49ers have a lot of defensive linemen for a team that uses a 3-4 front. They don't need to make a move at the position. Evans' injury, however, likely will allow some playing time for seventh-round pick, Ricky Jean-Francois. According to MM, the 49ers were considering giving Jean-Francois some playing time following the bye week. But the rookie may have dashed any goodwill by missing his flight out of Miami after the bye and being late for team meetings.

Ronnie Lott will be one of four inductees into the San Jose Sports Hall of Fame on Nov. 11. The others are legendary high school football coach Ron Calcagno, three-time Olympian Sheryl Johnson and former Stanford pitcher and announcer Bob Murphy.

Why don't the 49ers commit to the spread offense? Who is quietly having the best season of his career? How many tequila shots did Barrows and Maiocco down Saturday night in Indianapolis, and who looked worse the next day? All this and more if you join in on this morning's Niners Chat at 11 a.m. Start practicing how to quickly minimize your screen so your boss doesn't find out ...

-- Matt Barrows

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/11/injuries-have-n.html
Hopefully we get something figured out until Staley can come back. Now we will get to see if the o-line coach can earn his money or if we need a new guy in here.
Share 49ersWebzone