LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

How many of u think nate davis should start next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many of u think nate davis should start next year?

Originally posted by WINiner:
57% of the people polled have foolish and nieve unrealistic dreams of Davis picking apart offenses with his cannon arm, however history shows that rarely do 5th round picks amount to anything more then a backup.

I see you have a little brother on the Zone. Lol (Winner)
Just how many rookie qbs could have done what Nate did in preseason? Not any I could think of. Of course he won't be an instant Montana but his basic skills far outdistance most of the rookies. In a strange sort of way, I think he could do well as a qb with Raye as he would be an instinctive player and he would do the actual plays according to what he saw then following Rayes stone tablet offence. What impressed me aside from his arm was him deciding to throw almost before the reciever broke free. I would say he got the ball there two counts before either Hill or Smith could have. I think we have to wait and see if he can do it all the time but I doubt if Alex Smith could hit those passes even once out of ten times with that sort of placement aside from throwing it on time.
I voted no.

Specifically because I do not believe that we should just hand over the job without competition.

I like what he did in the Preseason, but based on just that it's not enough.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
I voted no.

Specifically because I do not believe that we should just hand over the job without competition.

~Ceadder

I vote no but not because of competition. We need to prime him up to see positive results when he plays. There was no competition for Joe Montana. In fact, Montana had everything babied for him at the expense of Deberg's accomplishments.

Davis has the most ability out of all of our QBs and he has shown nice intangibles such as staying calm and poise, although it was preseason but that's something that only shows in a game.

Alex Smith may have been set up too fail and completely lost what got him to the NFL, but he still doesn't possess the talent and poise that Davis has shown.

Therefore, let Alex or Hill start next year and baby Davis into the starting role to assure that you are getting the best of Nate Davis without any questions as to what he can do.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I voted no.

~Ceadder

I vote no but not because of competition. We need to prime him up to see positive results when he plays. There was no competition for Joe Montana. In fact, Montana had everything babied for him at the expense of Deberg's accomplishments.

Davis has the most ability out of all of our QBs and he has shown nice intangibles such as staying calm and poise, although it was preseason but that's something that only shows in a game.

Alex Smith may have been set up too fail and completely lost what got him to the NFL, but he still doesn't possess the talent and poise that Davis has shown.

Therefore, let Alex or Hill start next year and baby Davis into the starting role to assure that you are getting the best of Nate Davis without any questions as to what he can do.

??? There is no comparison here. DeBerg sucked in Walsh's system. Putting Joe in there it couldn't be worse.

But I am in agreement with you. If Davis is the future you gotta protect him. If not then at least he got to sit and take the speed of the game in and learn how to be an NFL QB without taking the punishment.

That mentality certainly hasn't hurt Rodgers so I don't think that it would hurt Davis any.

~Ceadder
  • B650
  • Veteran
I voted no.

~Ceadder

??? There is no comparison here. DeBerg sucked in Walsh's system. Putting Joe in there it couldn't be worse.

But I am in agreement with you. If Davis is the future you gotta protect him. If not then at least he got to sit and take the speed of the game in and learn how to be an NFL QB without taking the punishment.

That mentality certainly hasn't hurt Rodgers so I don't think that it would hurt Davis any.

~Ceadder

I don't buy the argument that the guy has to sit next year. Guys have been thrown to the wolves and still succeeded. Peyton Manning started his rookie year, for example. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, etc. The list goes on. If the guy is good, put him out there and let him learn on the fly. You can't learn anything without actually doing it yourself, and he already this year sitting on the bench learning. He SHOULD compete for a starting job next season, and if he looks ready, he should go.

Why should we waste time letting someone sit on the bench rotting for 2 or 3 years? Just because Alex Smith failed his rookie year? It happens. It wasn't entirely Smith's fault either. Just put Davis in a position to win. Start him, give him a good defense, a good OL and running game, some good WRs, and there's no reason why he couldn't do well. There's no reason why he can't be out there and learn at the same time. The bottom line is that he can't be much worse than what we have now.
he will never start for this team unless Hill or Smith get hurt

Nate Davis=Kory Sheets on this board....
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
57% of the people polled have foolish and nieve unrealistic dreams of Davis picking apart offenses with his cannon arm, however history shows that rarely do 5th round picks amount to anything more then a backup.

An adoring fan maybe?
Originally posted by B650:
I voted no.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

I don't buy the argument that the guy has to sit next year. Guys have been thrown to the wolves and still succeeded. Peyton Manning started his rookie year, for example. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, etc. The list goes on. If the guy is good, put him out there and let him learn on the fly. You can't learn anything without actually doing it yourself, and he already this year sitting on the bench learning. He SHOULD compete for a starting job next season, and if he looks ready, he should go.

Why should we waste time letting someone sit on the bench rotting for 2 or 3 years? Just because Alex Smith failed his rookie year? It happens. It wasn't entirely Smith's fault either. Just put Davis in a position to win. Start him, give him a good defense, a good OL and running game, some good WRs, and there's no reason why he couldn't do well. There's no reason why he can't be out there and learn at the same time. The bottom line is that he can't be much worse than what we have now.

I would agree with this if our offense had an anchor that could protect an inexperienced QB. Matt Ryan and those other QBs had a dominant running game, or top level receivers or an established chemistry with solidified veteran leadership on the team.

Our offense has no consistent anchor, there really isn't a true leader on this team, we haven't established a complete identity, and we still have yet to dominate in one area.

As for the Deberg sucking...well...I would still call him better than Hill or Alex Smith.
Start based on what?

Why can't someone make these people go away?

Originally posted by ObePwnD:

An adoring fan maybe?

Are you guys talking about me? My name is WinnerS. I'm what Singletary wants on his team.
no more throwing a QB into the fire as a young player. i say we start playing Alex Smith this season, and if he does something, keep it going into next year. if he doesnt, use Hill instead. just use a more veteran guy that can manage the offense.

in any other positions sake, playing time is key to development. but with a QB, you must have them wait a year or two, or three. depending on the situation. let them absorb as much of the job as they can from the sidelines and via coaching. once the non playing details soak in they become habit. things they dont have to think about to just do automatically. then when theyre ready to play the game, they can focus on the playing aspect and the physical game. everything else will then fall into place with experience.

just tossing Davis out there because Hill and Smith stink is how we ruined Smith in the first place.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Start based on what?

Why can't someone make these people go away?

This

And you can't just ''Alex Smith '' him.

Sit him out for a couple of years.
Beyond the fact that he hasn't earned that right yet, even if you think he's the answer at the position, do we really want to send him out there behind an O-Line that can't protect him. If there's one way to ruin a budding QB, it's to send him to the wolves early in his career so he can develop chronic paranoia. Fix the O-Line and then let him earn it.
[ Edited by gravelburn on Oct 23, 2009 at 5:44 AM ]
Originally posted by B650:
I voted no.

~Ceadder

~Ceadder

Not only that, we have to know what we got in Davis, so we know what we need next year. Somewhere or sometime, Alex and Nate should get in the game. We have to see once and for all if Alex is going to be good. Not just get by, but be good. We need a presence at QB. I agree with the post above, where you should be able to throw a rookie out there from the get go to see if he can fly.

Bill Walsh used to pull DeBerg when they got to the red zone, then put Joe in just to score. The rest is history.
Share 49ersWebzone