LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 264 users in the forums

4th and 1 play

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Alright, I only saw the last 5 mins of the game and I haven't been able to rewatch it, but there is one play that I NEED to know about.

I saw on game tracker while I was following the game that we called a timeout on 4th and 1, then when we came back we got like a 20 somethin yard play then 3 plays later on third down we scored a TD.

1) Why was the timeout called? Did we line up THEN call time out, or was the timeout right after the previous third down?

2)What was the big play after that? I'm assuming it was a pass but I really don't know. Can't seem to find mention of the play in specific anywhere and I know you guys will give me a good run down.

¿Que pasó?
San Francisco 49ers at 13:09, (1st play from scrimmage 13:01) SFO MIN
1st and 10 at SF 43 (13:01) G.Coffee up the middle to MIN 48 for 9 yards (M.Williams).
2nd and 1 at MIN 48 (12:28) G.Coffee up the middle to 50 for -2 yards (E.Henderson, J.Allen).
3rd and 3 at 50 (11:44) (Shotgun) PENALTY on MIN-C.Griffin, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at 50 - No Play.
1st and 10 at MIN 45 (11:20) G.Coffee left end to MIN 47 for -2 yards (P.Williams; B.Leber).
2nd and 12 at MIN 47 (10:42) S.Hill pass incomplete short right to I.Bruce (A.Winfield).
3rd and 12 at MIN 47 (10:36) (Shotgun) S.Hill pass short middle to V.Davis to MIN 36 for 11 yards (E.Henderson).
Timeout #1 by SF at 09:50.
4th and 1 at MIN 36 (9:50) (Shotgun) S.Hill pass short right to J.Morgan ran ob at MIN 11 for 25 yards (A.Winfield).
PENALTY on MIN-E.Henderson, Roughing the Passer, 6 yards, enforced at MIN 11.
Penalty on MIN-R.Edwards, Defensive Offside, declined.
1st and 5 at MIN 5 (9:31) S.Hill pass short right to V.Davis for 5 yards, TOUCHDOWN. 6 10
J.Nedney extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Jennings, Holder-A.Lee. 7 10
J.Nedney kicks 69 yards from SF 30 to MIN 1. P.Harvin to MIN 30 for 29 yards (M.Lewis).
DRIVE TOTALS: SF 7 MIN 10, 7 plays, 57 yards, 2 penalties, 3:43 drive, 5:34 elapsed
[ Edited by valrod33 on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:09 PM ]
We called the timeout because the play clock was running down and the players werent set. Good timeout by Hill
[ Edited by marshniners24 on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:
We called the timeout because the play clock was running down and the players werent set. Good timeout by Hill

yes, this seemed to happen a lot to us and the vikes. Delay of Game penalties left and right.

The Coach called the timeout
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

yes, this seemed to happen a lot to us and the vikes. Delay of Game penalties left and right.

Saw that on the game tracker too. I was like WTF? I think it happened to the Vikes twice on the same drive iirc.
good timeout instead of 4th and 1 it would have been 4th and 6, which would have resulted in a punt or FG (can't remember if we were in FG range) and would have resulted in 0 points
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
good timeout instead of 4th and 1 it would have been 4th and 6, which would have resulted in a punt or FG (can't remember if we were in FG range) and would have resulted in 0 points

I don't think we were. I think we were around the 40 which means FG is 55 yds but a punt would net us maybe 20-25 yds.
Turned out to be good call for us.

yeah def. good that they called a timeout there. It's weird how we hardly ever have 3 time outs at the end of the half or game. During our last offensive drive when we failed to convert for the first down, I was like, "Wow, AND they have all of their time outs left." It seemed almost foreign to me... a team with ALL of its timeouts left?
Originally posted by FourNine49:
yeah def. good that they called a timeout there. It's weird how we hardly ever have 3 time outs at the end of the half or game. During our last offensive drive when we failed to convert for the first down, I was like, "Wow, AND they have all of their time outs left." It seemed almost foreign to me... a team with ALL of its timeouts left?

It's harder for an away team because the crowd gets really loud when the opposition is on the field so the team has more trouble hearing and getting organized. I'd rather take a timeout than get a delay of game or 12 man on the field penalty that could cost us even 3 points.

Now in the 2nd half that's when I really hate burning timeouts
Share 49ersWebzone