LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 188 users in the forums

Concerned about our backup RB's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Method:
I know, I know, it seems like I always post something negative but you gotta feel me on this one:

Our backup Running Back, Glen Coffee has just not been getting the job done. He's had his fair share of carries already, 10 carries for 10 yards. I'm sorry, but for all the praise he was getting in the preseason, the dude is just not cutting it. If he continues like this, we need to do something for this position because Gore can't always carry us like he did in the last game.

s**t, even Shaun Hill has 1 carry for 17 yards, and Moran Norris has 3 for 17.

Coffee either needs to step his game up, or we need to look elsewhere for a backup, and soon.

This is a parody, right?

I mean really, what running back can't average five carries a game and develop continuity. He should have popped at least one 75+ yard run last Sunday. Gore did it twice!

On a serious note: Writing off a player after two games is exactly the type of behavior expected from a fair weather fan.

Yeah man, real fans should never criticize players! I mean they're all great right? Who does Method think he is, how dare he have an opinion on Coffee, preseason rushing leader and champion! I said CHAMPION!
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am worried about Coffee as well. Even in the preseason he wasn't making many people miss. He may get an extra yard or 2 by his power running, but you would like a running back to be able to avoid some tacklers too.
I know, I know, it seems like I always post something negative but you gotta feel me on this one:

Our backup Running Back, Glen Coffee has just not been getting the job done. He's had his fair share of carries already, 10 carries for 10 yards. I'm sorry, but for all the praise he was getting in the preseason, the dude is just not cutting it. If he continues like this, we need to do something for this position because Gore can't always carry us like he did in the last game.

Coffee either needs to step his game up, or we need to look elsewhere for a backup, and soon.

Rookie jitters. He ran like Gore did in the first game. Gore wasn't waiting for the holes to open up against AZ, he did against the Chickens and we watched what happened. Coffee will be fine.
I thought this thread was more about our Health at the RB position....

both of our RBs were dinged last week.... I would HATE to have Robinson there for most of the game this Sunday if something goes wrong.

I know he had a couple of nice runs against the Raiders and all.....but against the Vikes...that head down run/fall forward mentality will not help our offense.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Coffee has been extremely disappointing.
[ Edited by crzy on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by redrathman:

This is a parody, right?

I mean really, what running back can't average five carries a game and develop continuity. He should have popped at least one 75+ yard run last Sunday. Gore did it twice!

On a serious note: Writing off a player after two games is exactly the type of behavior expected from a fair weather fan.

Yeah man, real fans should never criticize players! I mean they're all great right? Who does Method think he is, how dare he have an opinion on Coffee, preseason rushing leader and champion! I said CHAMPION!

Knowledgeable fans don't criticize players who haven't had the opportunities to showcase their abilities. Ten carries in two games isn't a barometer for how well Glen Coffee is running. The sample size is much too small.

The knee-jerk / lunatic fringe / casual fan that doesn't understand basic football principles is going to point out that Glen Coffee "isn't getting the job done." The reasonable / informed fan is going to see Coffee hasn't had enough carries on consecutive possessions to judge his abilities.
ive never like Coffee, so i could care less if he doesnt get any carries, cuz this is frank gores team, he is our back, i think singletary said coffee will get carries if frank lets him.
Take away Gore's 2 long runs and his stats aren't that impressive either. Ease up on Coffee; he hasn't had a chance to get into any kind of rhythm and hasn't had any holes to run through either. Other than those 2 bursts by Gore, the entire running game hasn't really measured up yet as far as consistency. Give it time.
too early to tell about Coffee...just give him more time..
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Take away Gore's 2 long runs and his stats aren't that impressive either. Ease up on Coffee; he hasn't had a chance to get into any kind of rhythm and hasn't had any holes to run through either. Other than those 2 bursts by Gore, the entire running game hasn't really measured up yet as far as consistency. Give it time.

take away all the runs except gores 2 big runs and his stats are really impressive.

I hate it when people say well take away this and that, you cant take away those runs.

you are not gonna run for 6-7 yards every play, he is gonna have 1 yard runs 2 yard runs, as long as we keep running the ball he will break some big runs.

We should absolutely cut Coffee, move Shaun Hill to RB and bring in Nate Davis as our QB! Championship!

Shaun hill averaged 17 yards per carry against Seattle, and its not like the entire defense had dropped back expecting pass with all the receivers on the other side of the field... oh wait
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

take away all the runs except gores 2 big runs and his stats are really impressive.

I hate it when people say well take away this and that, you cant take away those runs.

you are not gonna run for 6-7 yards every play, he is gonna have 1 yard runs 2 yard runs, as long as we keep running the ball he will break some big runs.

If you want to establish yourself as a "running team", you can't rely on the big run because you won't always get one and certainly not 2 such runs in one game. Let's see, when was the last time someone did that? Oh, wait, it's only happened once before and it was Barry Sanders! You need consistency and you need to be able to sustain drives and get the tough yards, which we have yet to do with any reliability. So yeah, until we do, we need to view those runs with less rosy glasses and realize therun game has a ways to go. Of course you won't get 6 or 7 yards every play, but we need to get less of those 1 yd or no yd, or worse, minus yd runs! All I'm saying is, it's not all Coffee's (or Gore's) fault. We're just not there yet, as a line or as a team. BUT, we're getting there.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Coffee has sucked ass..
  • dman
  • Veteran
Too early to tell on Coffee but if we are going to trully be a good running team we need two starting quality RBs like the Titans, Vikings, Panthers, etc.

If take a certain player in the draft we could end up with the Best backfield in the NFL.
Originally posted by dman:
Too early to tell on Coffee but if we are going to trully be a good running team we need two starting quality RBs like the Titans, Vikings, Panthers, etc.

If take a certain player in the draft we could end up with the Best backfield in the NFL.

That's what I mean. We need to have another good/ very good back to be an elite running team in this league IMO. Frank Gore can't do everything himself... (or maybe from what we saw on Sunday he can lol)
Share 49ersWebzone