LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Who was the "Cheap Shot Artist" on Vernon Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
It's NFL football!!! It's the NFC West!!! It ain't pre-season.

My point, seriously, though that was a pretty tough hit, these personal foul penalties are getting out of hand. Hines Ward is right, this is football, but at the same time tough hit by a pretty tough SS.

Yeah I agree. If you take a look at that hit a little slower there wasnt much of helmet to helmet. I did not think it was a cheap shot at all. It was a good very good play on D.
i think i read somewhere he was fined $50,000
i think i read somewhere he was fined$50,000
$5,000 only?
Originally posted by msninerfan73:
i think i read somewhere he was fined$50,000

And if you quantitated that to a blue collar worker's wages? $5 bucks.

He probably pulled out his checkbook and gladly wrote them a check.

I seriously cannot see why there is such an uproar over this by some people. Shoot that hit was weak by comparison to some of the hits that Hardy Brown and Ronnie Lott have put on guys.

Hardy most especially that guy would LEVEL guys with nothing more than his shoulder. He's one of the reason that helmets are much stronger today.

If you don't believe me just watch ESPNs' top 10 hitters of the NFL. Ronnie is ranked to 5 and 2 back from him Hardy Brown.

It's guys like this that made me a FAN of the NFL to begin with. Only panty waists complain about these things.

It wasn't like AW was out to end Duke's career. Gripe about it when the player is deliberately attempting to separate a players head from his shoulders.

Show of hands, how many people were CELEBRATING that shot that leveled the Jets WR last year?

I'll be the first to stand up and proudly admit that I was excited as hell to see that hit. I laughed my @$$ off when the guy popped up took a couple of steps and then BAM brain caught up with body and went right back down.

So if stuff like that happens to our guys well then you have to ax yosef "could the ball have been placed in a better spot"? If your answer is yes, then there is nothing to gripe about. In this case hell yeah, it could and SHOULD have. It's one thing when they BOTH go up in the air to get it, but when you already have separation you DON'T want to hang your Receiver out to dry. That's how guys get injured.

Blame Hill, don't blame the Defender for doing his freakin yob.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:55 PM ]
look closely, he looks like s soccer player "heading" the ball. No way you can say he didn't lead with his head. If VD's head had been a soccer ball it would have ended up in the net.
Originally posted by MikeyVnutz:
this received a penalty as it should have but I don't think it was malicious in any way.. he received like a $50k fine but will not be suspended, nor should he be.. adrian wilson is a beast at safety and any niner fan would be happy to have such a force in the secondary

at least this call was warranted tho.. anyone catch the pats game on MNF? the wilfork and adalius thomas sacks were both flagged and I just thought it was ridiculous.... is the QB not playing football? can he not be hit? wilfork was literally in the air when edward threw the ball.. do they want him to stop mid-air? i don't get it

the thomas sack was all bad, he slammed him to the ground AFTER the whistle for play stoppage. the wilfork one wasnt dirty at all.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by boast:

hella lead with his head. Most likely gonna get a fine for that.

he had every opportuinty to go lower and chose to go high and lead with his helmet.
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

he had every opportuinty to go lower and chose to go high and lead with his helmet.

So you're telling us that you could change your position of attack in midair?

This is the NFL not the Matrix.

Essentially you're saying that the outcomes of THESE two shots by our own Bam Bam...

...were COMPELETELY avoidable in a contact sport where EVERYONE is wearing pads.

Get real.

If you look at these two shots Bam Bam did pretty much the same thing in BOTH instances. The only difference that I see between what he's done and what AW did was that Bam Bam is a 49er.

ONCE YET AGAIN, you gotta blame Hill for layin Duke out not AW for doing his yob. If people don't like it I suggest they just stop watching the games and become box score fans. Cuz if you can handle us dishing it out and then complain about opposing players playing straight up, you'll( generally speaking) never be happy with the overall product on the field.

~Ceadder

He also jumped up towards Davis's head. Cheap shot by a mile. That hit was intentional and probably meant as an attempt to take him out of the game.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
You don't recognize one of the best safeties in the NFL?

And if a Niner player did that you all would be cheering. Adrian hit Vernon with his helmet...so what? It happens in football.
  • OREGONomics
  • Info N/A
The real cheap shot on Vernon Davis came from Troy Polamalu last season (or maybe the season before). Took his knees out after a deep pass.

I thought Adrian Wilson's hit was legit though, he lead with his shoulder and looked like he was at least trying to hit Davis in the chest.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

So you're telling us that you could change your position of attack in midair?

This is the NFL not the Matrix.

what i see by willis is a shoulder going to a chest, wilson didnt need to jump to hit him. he could have easily gone for his midsection without jumping.

Essentially you're saying that the outcomes of THESE two shots by our own Bam Bam...

...were COMPELETELY avoidable in a contact sport where EVERYONE is wearing pads.

Get real.

If you look at these two shots Bam Bam did pretty much the same thing in BOTH instances. The only difference that I see between what he's done and what AW did was that Bam Bam is a 49er.

ONCE YET AGAIN, you gotta blame Hill for layin Duke out not AW for doing his yob. If people don't like it I suggest they just stop watching the games and become box score fans. Cuz if you can handle us dishing it out and then complain about opposing players playing straight up, you'll( generally speaking) never be happy with the overall product on the field.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by waiting4number6:
It's NFL football!!! It's the NFC West!!! It ain't pre-season.

My point, seriously, though that was a pretty tough hit, these personal foul penalties are getting out of hand. Hines Ward is right, this is football, but at the same time tough hit by a pretty tough SS.

Running full speed hitting helmet first is not football. It's for pu$$ies, and someone is going to end up seriously hurt. He doesnt even use his shoulder he spears him with the side of his helmet

You go tell Ronnie that he's a puss. Make sure that he doesn't have one on his desk when you do.

Helmet to helmet? Didn't happen right?

Last I checked there is no "spearing" rule in the league like their is in Formative leagues.

So I honestly do not see what people are going on about. It wasn't like AW was out to end Duke's career.

~Ceadder

You want me to make sure Lott doesn't have p***y on his desk? What are you saying, none of your post even makes since. Why would they have a spearing rule when you can't even hit a guy in the head anymore? Kind of redundant don't you think.
It's about the LB from Cincinnati and Boldon who both broke their jaws because of helmet to helmet hits. It's about spinal injuries. Wilson looks like he just closes his eyes and launches his helmet into VD.

Okay let me walk you through this.

I want YOU to go into Ronnie Lott's office(if you can find it) look on his desk or anywhere there about to see if there is a 9er helmet in close proximity, and call HIM a p*ssy to his face. I guarantee you this, IF you got away with it it's only cause Ronnie took pity on you. What's that quote again? Oh yeah

"I would go into EVERY game looking to put the WOO hit on our opponent"

Also if you go BACK a few pages or so the .gif of the hit clearly shows that Wilson was NOT going helmet to helmet. If it was helmet to helmet I'll eat a 9er helmet piece by piece til it's all gone. The .gif shows that it would qualify as "SPEARING" at most. No such rule in the league so therefore unfineable and unflaggable.

Sorry that I was too succinct in my post to you. I figured that you would be up on the topic and therefore would UNDERSTAND what I was getting at.

*Edit*My bad. Looks like it was indeed helmet to helmet. But be honest, I don't believe that it was intentional. Duke just came down faster than Wilson was planning. It IS his job to separate the receiver from the ball after all.

On the note of eating a 9er helmet, I have my replica helmet out right now and am in the process of dismantling it and marinating it in crows blood to throw on my Que for the next game. Will update everyone on how it astes on Monday.

~Ceadder

Ok, My argument isnt against big hits its against dirty hits. Willis keeps his head up and hits with his shoulder. Go watch some Lott highlights and show me one where he leads with his helmet.

There's many plays on youtube (just watched them) just like the wilson davis hit. The difference is Lott doesnt duck down and lead with his helmet, he delivers a forearm or a shoulder.

Wilson is a dirty player, i checked out his highlight (could only find one) and its him driving his helmet (surprise) into the chin neck area as he lands on Trent Edwards.

So please stop comparing Lott to Wilson. A "WOO" hit is not closing your eyes and leading with your helmet
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4485644&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Share 49ersWebzone