LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 293 users in the forums

Jim Hostler vs Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
When Jimmy Raye was with the Chefs he had a 4000 yrd qb with no running game.....im excited to see what he can do with the big three (GORE, COFFEE, SHEETS)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

nice comparison after a preseason season where teams keep things vanilla.

just by years of experience that is a ridiculous comparison.

"nice comparison after a preseason season where teams keep things vanilla."

No no, remember that was the same excuse Nolan gave in 2007 when we played horribly in the pre-season? We were supposedly just using a vanilla offense. Look how that season turned out...Bring on the mf'in chocolate already!

the difference is that Hostler was a rookie and Raye is a coach who's been in the NFL for 30 years.

-9fA

Also, Raye can run this offense with his eyes closed....

Oh wait.
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
When Jimmy Raye was with the Chefs he had a 4000 yrd qb with no running game.....im excited to see what he can do with the big three (GORE, COFFEE, SHEETS)

Me thinks that the 2009 Niner offense will look more like the Eric Dickerson-oriented offense that Raye ran with the Rams, than it will what Raye ran in KC. "#21 is the show here".

Look for a few key running plays, run relentlessly, with the expectation that at some point, one of those basic plays will be executed to perfection for a long gain and/or scoring play. Raye will be stubborn in his play-calling. The passing game will be all play action, while the Niners are still in the game. So, look for lots of swing passes to the backs and for the TE's to be among the leading receivers each week. Throws to the WR will be few and far between. The WR's will spend more time blocking than receiving. It will be all about ball control to keep the Niner defense off the field. A low scoring game is a good game. Expect losts of 17-16 type games. Only if/when the Niners have to play catch-up from a 10-point deficit or more, will you see a wide-open, desperation passing attack.

Hostler was a boob, a total failure as the QB Coach, who then got promoted to OC because he was a good laminator. This was the hire/promotion that actually killed Nolan. He never recovered from the lost 2007 year.
  • KasparHauser
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by jimbagg:

Me thinks that the 2009 Niner offense will look more like the Eric Dickerson-oriented offense that Raye ran with the Rams, than it will what Raye ran in KC. "#21 is the show here".

Look for a few key running plays, run relentlessly, with the expectation that at some point, one of those basic plays will be executed to perfection for a long gain and/or scoring play. Raye will be stubborn in his play-calling. The passing game will be all play action, while the Niners are still in the game. So, look for lots of swing passes to the backs and for the TE's to be among the leading receivers each week. Throws to the WR will be few and far between. The WR's will spend more time blocking than receiving. It will be all about ball control to keep the Niner defense off the field. A low scoring game is a good game. Expect losts of 17-16 type games. Only if/when the Niners have to play catch-up from a 10-point deficit or more, will you see a wide-open, desperation passing attack.

Hostler was a boob, a total failure as the QB Coach, who then got promoted to OC because he was a good laminator. This was the hire/promotion that actually killed Nolan. He never recovered from the lost 2007 year.

Oh man, you should totally be a coach. You have analyzed the team so precisely. You have really pinned down the 49ers, I hope no other opposing team coaches come here on this board and read your analysis.

This happens to be the second thread that I have come into today where you have added a great post. I think you are right on this.

Perfectly said !!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
Originally posted by pimptillo:
After the niner-cowboys game many think the niners offense is just the the 2007 version. There's a big difference though. Hostler got in over his head trying to combine two different offenses (the west coast and the digit system).  Raye is dedicated to a smaller playbook but at running those small number of plays very effectively. We'll see a much more disciplined, efficient offense. Basically the offense needs more reps.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Jimmy so far. I think he looks very competent as an OC. I was very concerned that we would see a huge dropoff after Martz was let go. But the offense looks like it will be productive.
How could you say that after watching last night's game?

some of the playcalling was god awful like the stupid 3 wild cat plays. but overall we had guys getting open. hill just failed to get them the ball.

From watching these past three games it looks to me more like the coaches are using them as a scrimmage. That's my theory on the three "Wild Niner" (I hated that term that douche was trying to be cutsie) plays. Run the play and keep running it to iron out the kinks.
Both Hostler and Raye were last-minute decisions

Hostler jumped in after Norv high tailed it out of SF; Raye snuck in to be OC after every other OC in the league politely declined.

My usual unwarranted optimism for the 49ers I have every season is gone this season.

I pray Jimmy Raye can lead this team on offense, do I believe he will? well...

No no, remember that was the same excuse Nolan gave in 2007 when we played horribly in the pre-season? We were supposedly just using a vanilla offense. Look how that season turned out...Bring on the mf'in chocolate already!

But i am a big fan of vanilla. It is my favorite ice cream flavor.

Do you not watch our games. In in PS, which is "vanilla" as hell, I can tell that there is way, way, way more experience in the playcalling from Raye and the players are better prepared for a game, regardless if its PS or not!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Aug 31, 2009 at 17:52:38 ]
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Both Hostler and Raye were last-minute decisions

Hostler jumped in after Norv high tailed it out of SF; Raye snuck in to be OC after every other OC in the league politely declined.

My usual unwarranted optimism for the 49ers I have every season is gone this season.

I pray Jimmy Raye can lead this team on offense, do I believe he will? well...

Really? Linehan denied us so every OC did. LOL. Maybe we should have hired Gailey like most people wanted...
Originally posted by YouGotGored:

But i am a big fan of vanilla. It is my favorite ice cream flavor.

Better get a big bowl and hope that it is at least premium vanilla and not some cheapo artificial facsimile or you will soon be sick of it.

How come all the good teams I've watched play during pre season is far from "vanilla"

They aren't trying to "hide their secret plays" all bulls**t..

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:13:23 ]

Share 49ersWebzone