LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 203 users in the forums

Jim Hostler vs Jimmy Raye

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After the niner-cowboys game many think the niners offense is just the the 2007 version.

There's a big difference though. Hostler got in over his head trying to combine two different offenses (the west coast and the digit system).  Raye is dedicated to a smaller playbook but at running those small number of plays very effectively. We'll see a much more disciplined, efficient offense.

Basically the offense needs more reps.

[ Edited by pimptillo on Aug 30, 2009 at 19:49:41 ]
Its Jim Hostler, Jeff was the old Giants QB.

nice comparison after a preseason season where teams keep things vanilla.

just by years of experience that is a ridiculous comparison.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

"nice comparison after a preseason season where teams keep things vanilla."

No no, remember that was the same excuse Nolan gave in 2007 when we played horribly in the pre-season? We were supposedly just using a vanilla offense. Look how that season turned out...Bring on the mf'in chocolate already!
Originally posted by Psinex:

No no, remember that was the same excuse Nolan gave in 2007 when we played horribly in the pre-season? We were supposedly just using a vanilla offense. Look how that season turned out...Bring on the mf'in chocolate already!

We have used one playaction pass a game which is Raye's staple according to his prior stints so he is keeping it pretty vanilla. I just hope they can execute during the season.

The difference is Hostler had no idea what the hell he was doing in 2007. Jimmy Raye has experience running an offense.
Originally posted by pimptillo:
After the niner-cowboys game many think the niners offense is just the the 2007 version.

There's a big difference though. Hostler got in over his head trying to combine two different offenses (the west coast and the digit system).  Raye is dedicated to a smaller playbook but at running those small number of plays very effectively. We'll see a much more disciplined, efficient offense.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Jimmy so far. I think he looks very competent as an OC. I was very concerned that we would see a huge dropoff after Martz was let go. But the offense looks like it will be productive.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Jimmy so far. I think he looks very competent as an OC. I was very concerned that we would see a huge dropoff after Martz was let go. But the offense looks like it will be productive.

How could you say that after watching last night's game?
hmm, thats a toughie. the guy with over 30 years experience or the bum nolan found at a local mcdonalds?
hahah yeah. Lets not compare the young offensive coordinator that couldnt get it done, to the older experienced OC that has coached some good offenses.

the difference is that Hostler was a rookie and Raye is a coach who's been in the NFL for 30 years.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
hahah yeah. Lets not compare the young offensive coordinator that couldnt get it done, to the older experienced OC that has coached some good offenses.

Or, lets evaluate the O with only 3 pre-season games in the books (that we've all won) to a Rook OC...

i saw a huge baskin robins 18 wheeler goin into candlestick park. theyre gonna bust out 31 flavors and s**t load of toppings on these hoes this year!!!
  • fan49
  • Veteran

i really dont get the whole vanilla offense thing. defenses are giving the vanilla only up too. so it means nothing.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
After the niner-cowboys game many think the niners offense is just the the 2007 version. There's a big difference though. Hostler got in over his head trying to combine two different offenses (the west coast and the digit system).  Raye is dedicated to a smaller playbook but at running those small number of plays very effectively. We'll see a much more disciplined, efficient offense. Basically the offense needs more reps.
How could you say that after watching last night's game?

some of the playcalling was god awful like the stupid 3 wild cat plays. but overall we had guys getting open. hill just failed to get them the ball.
Share 49ersWebzone