There are 271 users in the forums

Joe Starkey

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As the regular season approaches closer everyday I think that I for one will miss Joe Starkey's broadcast lines

"Touchdooooown 49ers" -
"Oh what a Bonanza"-

No one can recreate that feeling I use to get when I would hear those two phrases. Even though I don't listen to the radio much highlight reels would always use Starkey's voice. Who's his replacement anyway?
Yeah, the new guy they brought in makes me want to go to sleep. On top of that, the new second delay almost makes me want to not even listen.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
As the regular season approaches closer everyday I think that I for one will miss Joe Starkey's broadcast lines

"Touchdooooown 49ers" -
"Oh what a Bonanza"-

No one can recreate that feeling I use to get when I would hear those two phrases. Even though I don't listen to the radio much highlight reels would always use Starkey's voice. Who's his replacement anyway?

Ted Robinson I think.
yea i agree new guy = boring
That new guy needs to go he's so boring. It's a good voice to listen to if your trying to fall asleep!
I haven't heard Robinson yet, but its kinda unfair to compare him to Starkey.

Starkey's voice is iconic and I'm going to miss it, but Robinson will grow on us as we get used to him (and so will the uniforms).
Nobody ever likes the new guy after a famous play-by-play guy retires.

Ted Robinson will be fine...it'll just take time for people to get used to him and time for him to start up his own traditions in the booth.
Joe Starkey
Chick Hearn
Vin Scully (even though I HATE the #&$_#&$ Dodgers)

All irreplaceable.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Nobody ever likes the new guy after a famous play-by-play guy retires.

Ted Robinson will be fine...it'll just take time for people to get used to him and time for him to start up his own traditions in the booth.
I miss Starkey

"OH WHAT A BONANZA!"

don't remind me
Originally posted by linkboy:
I haven't heard Robinson yet, but its kinda unfair to compare him to Starkey.

Starkey's voice is iconic and I'm going to miss it, but Robinson will grow on us as we get used to him (and so will the uniforms).

That's the part that I'm going to miss too, but I think Robinson is going to be fine once he does it for awhile.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Joe Starkey
Chick Hearn
Vin Scully (even though I HATE the #&$_#&$ Dodgers)

All irreplaceable.

also Harry Kalas. he did the NFL films voice.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Some good Starkey calls in there

Think this was the last time he threw down the Oh what a Bonanza line.
I must be an army of one. Joe Starkey was a terrible game caller. He had stock phrases that he returned to constantly, no humor, little football insight, was error-prone, and spent too much time explaining and excusing why he was wrong.

If you want to hear a great call, hear Lon Simmons' call about Steve Young's TD run against Minnesota.
Share 49ersWebzone