There are 244 users in the forums

Alex Smith mechanics: He still locks his left leg when he throws

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • aacadena
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by alam:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Shaj, maybe we can plot WHEN he has a tendency to do this.

I wonder if he loses his mechanics and locks his leg when he's under pressure to really complete a pass, like on 3rd and anything over 8 yards. And as such affects his ability to sustain a drive.

good point, bro. my thinking is that it's when he wants to throw further than 10 yards.... but I'll look for that.

But since he went 5-7 and completed a pass in front of Champ Bailey, we should just drop this discussion and create the mold for his bust in Canton. just ask the noob.

Don't forget that Shaun Hill held on to the ball too long on one play and apparently stared down his receiver on EVERY SINGLE ONE of his...2...attempts. Let's cut him.

So it is true Hill Supports = Smith Haters. I guess you care more about your personal agendas then this team getting better. It would be better if both Qbs are capable. But naw let's Bash one Qb and everybody who wants him to do well. Yeah True FAN.
More worried about Alex's hesitations. No pass sailed on a wide open WR, so....
He hit WRs on time as well. His accuracy is fine in TC, so I think its more Alex's head and when he goes against another team. He hasnt played a game, Healthy, in a while.

Its the first game...so hopefully next week we see improvement....in all facets of the game!!

Not too worried about his "left leg".
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
yes, he still sucks.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
He hit WRs on time as well. His accuracy is fine in TC, so I think its more Alex's head and when he goes against another team. He hasnt played a game, Healthy, in a while.

Its the first game...so hopefully next week we see improvement....in all facets of the game!!

I hope you are joking. he sailed two or three passes either in between WRs or out of bounds

bottom line: 6 points off of 3 turnovers by your defense isn't cutting it.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Aug 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by alam:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Shaj, maybe we can plot WHEN he has a tendency to do this.

I wonder if he loses his mechanics and locks his leg when he's under pressure to really complete a pass, like on 3rd and anything over 8 yards. And as such affects his ability to sustain a drive.

good point, bro. my thinking is that it's when he wants to throw further than 10 yards.... but I'll look for that.

But since he went 5-7 and completed a pass in front of Champ Bailey, we should just drop this discussion and create the mold for his bust in Canton. just ask the noob.

Don't forget that Shaun Hill held on to the ball too long on one play and apparently stared down his receiver on EVERY SINGLE ONE of his...2...attempts. Let's cut him.

Can we please be real here. Both Hill and Alex looked simply O.K.

Hopefully one of them will pull away from the other in the next 3 pre-season games and we all clearly will recognize who the starter should be.

Bottom Line: Last night Denver game was simply a toss up.
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't watch anything in slo-mo, what I noticed most is he seemed to have happy feet. He was kind of stomping around even when standing still, he looked shell shocked or nervous.

I was at the game, and I have yet to watch it on tv. But from what I saw, Smith still looks uncomfortable in the pocket, still takes too long to throw, and I noticed on a couple of throws he put it into tight coverage and got lucky. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Nothing that stood out as impressive. His passer rating is misleading. That TD throw was probably the ugliest play that netted 6 points that I have ever seen. C'mon Alex, make a decision, and make it sooner.

Hill looked like the same game manager and decision maker from last year, which is a good thing. He should have been in there a little longer. But hey, it's only preseason, and I'm sure they're treating it as a glorified practice, not showing anything.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I didn't watch anything in slo-mo, what I noticed most is he seemed to have happy feet. He was kind of stomping around even when standing still, he looked shell shocked or nervous.

I was at the game, and I have yet to watch it on tv. But from what I saw, Smith still looks uncomfortable in the pocket, still takes too long to throw, and I noticed on a couple of throws he put it into tight coverage and got lucky. Same 'ol, same 'ol. Nothing that stood out as impressive. His passer rating is misleading. That TD throw was probably the ugliest play that netted 6 points that I have ever seen. C'mon Alex, make a decision, and make it sooner.

Hill looked like the same game manager and decision maker from last year, which is a good thing. He should have been in there a little longer. But hey, it's only preseason, and I'm sure they're treating it as a glorified practice, not showing anything.

I saw the same thing from my seat. His intermediate throws were in between routes and over guys heads. He lead us to 6 points off of 3 turnovers not a way to step up and win the job. Like I said before the game, please look something above average and that he did not.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by aacadena:
He was 5-7. Pretty inaccurate.

on paper. I hated his decision making. He didn't go for read to read smoothly and R. Smith gift wrapped a TD pass for him. Even on his TD pass from where I was sitting it looked like he was shuffling his feet and holding on to the ball too long.

The fact is everyone in the organization is given him the chance to step up and he isn't doing it. You really think Alex will play one drive against the Raiders and Hill will play the rest of the half. No way, they are giving him every chance to win the job but he isn't producing.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Aug 15, 2009 at 11:18 AM ]
Smith still looks like garbage with the reps he got. I feel way more comfortable with Hill out there. I'll even feel more comfortable with Huard then Smith.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

LOL I can't believe this thread, or niner talk. Anytime he does anything good it's "Oh, oh, you know that was lucky, he SHOULD have done that" "That was an UGLY TD pass, he sux!" His passer rating is misleading??? It's only misleading because it's Alex Smith and he truly is teh sucks and that's that.

He wasn't hesitating on the TD pass either, he pump faked. The announcers even showed it several times and commented on what a great pump fake it was to free up Miller. But noooo, it was really Alex Smith sucking up what should've been an easy eaaaasy TD.

I personally don't care who wins and I like BOTH of them (OMG SHOCKING!!! ), I just have confidence that the coaching staff will pick the right player, and as of right now, THEY BOTH LOOK ABOUT THE SAME. You people just hate Alex Smith and are coloring everything he does with that hate. OMGG 5-7 HE SUCKS!

• Otter
  • Veteran
Maybe he should watch this guy's mechanics. He could be accurate at times.

That's the gist of the concern, isn't it? In practice when you dont have "live bullets" coming at him, he does fine. But in live games where he truly has to perform under pressure, the part of his head that drives his mechanics breaks down.

Sort of like a starting pitcher who pitches at 99 mph but can't consistently throw strikes, always gets behind on the count, and can't throw the money strike pitch at full count, bases loaded.

I used to give Alex Smith a huuuge benefit of the doubt and still support him to do well, but the time is up. Injuries and rustiness aside, he doesn't have the luxury of being graded on a bell-curve any longer. He has to seize the opportunities given him in these preseason games, limited as they are.

The burden is on him to separate himself from Shaun Hill.

Shaun Hill merely has to keep doing what he's been doing since the 2nd half of last season. Even if it looked like they both performed equally (okay) in this game, then the advantage still goes to Hill.
Originally posted by aacadena:
He was 5-7. Pretty inaccurate.

right, because 7 attempts is a valid and representative statistical population sample, and we should overlook his prior 800 attempts at a 63.5 passer rating level.

thanks for reminding me why I avoid ninertalk.

true, but 5-7 would probably equate to a 63.5 passer rating. Just feeling honory this morning....
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I hope you are joking. he sailed two or three passes either in between WRs or out of bounds

bottom line: 6 points off of 3 turnovers by your defense isn't cutting it.

couldn't have said it better...
See falcon i have no problem with what you said there, what bothers me is when people take an average game and pick it apart and make it sound horrible. you can say round one goes to hill because they both were average and thats fair imo. but when people say "well this wasnt very pretty so it doesnt count" thats bs. a td is a td, and he actually had to pump fake to get miller wide open iirc. and then people say the throw to morgan doesnt count because it was odd, but it was actually the right throw.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
See falcon i have no problem with what you said there, what bothers me is when people take an average game and pick it apart and make it sound horrible. you can say round one goes to hill because they both were average and thats fair imo. but when people say "well this wasnt very pretty so it doesnt count" thats bs. a td is a td, and he actually had to pump fake to get miller wide open iirc. and then people say the throw to morgan doesnt count because it was odd, but it was actually the right throw.

We're looking for improvement aren't we? Well if that's the case then of course people are going to dissect and criticize him. He looked like the same old Alex Smith to me. I saw no improvement at all except for the fact that he had a positive td/int ratio.
Share 49ersWebzone