LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

What we have learned so far...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
A couple things looked different...

Vernon Davis looks like he is going to be used as a playmaker in this offense. I don't care how much screaming he does, as long as it's at the end of first downs and touchdowns. In fact, the more screaming the better...

It appears we may have a solid running game beyond Frank Gore.
Originally posted by 49erFan:
A couple things looked different...

Vernon Davis looks like he is going to be used as a playmaker in this offense. I don't care how much screaming he does, as long as it's at the end of first downs and touchdowns. In fact, the more screaming the better...

It appears we may have a solid running game beyond Frank Gore.

Our DB crew looks pretty solid aswell are glaring whole is our D-Line no push at all AF, Soap, KB no pressence at all.....
Why does everyone keep b***hing about the OL? They looked fine last night!
I watched most of the game, and was impressed with the DB's, they looked overall, a million times better than last year, Nate, Bly both looked great, i think Bly will only make Nate better than he already is.

I liked this Britt Miller, looks good coming from being a LB in college to FB now, and looks like he could be the backup FB now that Keasey is done for the season most likely.

Overall, it was a good showing for the team as a whole, we need more pass rush, cause the only guy getting any is/was Justin Smith, and he was worth the 40m we gave him, and of course had Haralson and Willis played we would(imo) saw better pass rush.
yeap they look like there ready. glen coffee was fine. i like the fact he runs thourgh the tackles. oline was desent. an shawn hill needs to be the starter. period. everything else will come together by week 1.
No nothing is different. Shaun Hill is still getting no respect!!!
Hugh concern over continueing lack of a Pass Rush. Last nights game with Denver was simple basic pre-season football, your man against our man, barely any scheming.

Even in basic football, our Pass Rushers showed no signs of getting to the Q.B.

ZERO SACKS THE WHOLE GAME!

Haralson, Lawson & Brooks should have been able to beat their man 1 freak'en time.

I was most disappointed in Manny, the Denver tackle at least on 3 different occasions throw his butt to the ground like a rag doll.

Not a good beginning at all.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I watched most of the game, and was impressed with the DB's, they looked overall, a million times better than last year, Nate, Bly both looked great, i think Bly will only make Nate better than he already is.

I liked this Britt Miller, looks good coming from being a LB in college to FB now, and looks like he could be the backup FB now that Keasey is done for the season most likely.

Overall, it was a good showing for the team as a whole, we need more pass rush, cause the only guy getting any is/was Justin Smith, and he was worth the 40m we gave him, and of course had Haralson and Willis played we would(imo) saw better pass rush.

Agreed.
Originally posted by Byisgod:

Exactly! One of the sacks on Hill was his fault for holding the ball way too long, as well as Smiths sack, and the other sack on Hill was Keasey's missed block...

Haralson did play.

Originally posted by global_nomad:
No nothing is different. Shaun Hill is still getting no respect!!!
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
All offseason people have been optomistic about how we will improve because 2nd/3rd years players will suddenly develop, low impact FAs will somehow make a big difference and/or rookies, especially late round picks and UDFAs, will contribute quickly.

And frankly, most, if not all, of that needs to happen for us to improve our areas of weakness.

Granted, it's only one preseason game, but does anyone see any real signs that there is any difference between this team and last year's?

Pass rush? Still none.

QB Situation? Still exactly unsettled. Hill looks more solid, but limited and not dynamic. Smith has more talent, but does not look overly comfortable or stable.

Oline? - RT a question mark.

Disipline? Fumbled the first play, missed blocking assignments, general poor execution often. And Vernon (though looking better with his playmaking) still can't make a first down without screaming to the heavens like a fool.

Overall? Solid run D and decent secondary that can still get burned by the big play, 3rd down conversions and no pass rush. An O that will move the chains some, but will struggle to get more than field goals and maybe one TD a game.

Man, that sounds familiar. Again, it's very early. But this sure looks a LOT like what we've seen before.

Anyone disagree? Anyone see something that makes them think we've addressed any of the key issues we all knew existed going into the off season last year?

I watched the 1st quarter and turned it off. Easily apparent that as it stands, not a lot has changed, as I feared after the draft. We did not upgrade positions that sorely needed upgrading. We did not answer any questions that needed answered, and at this point imo we will be lucky to win a game or two more then we did last season.

I personally have never felt the optimism that many hear have concerning this season. The only difference between this season and last imo is the addition of rookies, who rarely tip the scales for a team like the Niners.

I thought Alex looked the same as he has since being drafted from the video I saw this morning of his play, and that was against mostly #2's using our #1 line, if im not mistaken. Our oline gave up sacks and pressures against a horrid defense.

People can say "it's the 1st preseason game" all they want, but it looks more like the same ol same ol and at this point there is not a whole lotta difference between the Mike Nolan 49ers and the Mike Singletary 49ers.
I agree but only to an extent. Remember, bro...we were missing willis, Haralson, Brown, and Gore.

Now, correct me if i'm wrong but our secondary did not get blown up last night until jahi-cant play defense daniels allowed a 50 yard bomb from chris simms. When Brown comes back, that's going to give us 4 legit corners, and Both Reggie Smith and Dashon played really well at the safety spot!!

Our defensive backfield looks a ton better, and the offensive line was creating lanes last night most definately as well as generating plenty of cushion in the pocket.

I think the next game will really tell us how things are going to go, I cant wait to see what would have transpired had crabbs, and Jones been in with Morgan and bruce. oohhh....just the thought of that almost scares me and I'm not even playing defense!
Originally posted by Byisgod:

It was basically Keasey who gave up the sacks. The line looked fine to me.

I agree with you with an extra heavy emphasis on the lack of a pass rush and we were missing Willis, Brown, and Gore. When I factor in those players missing and this being the first pre-season game ------ It's the lack of pass rush that I am tired of. Harelson saw very limited time.
[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 15, 2009 at 11:37 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone